Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So...Jeweler's workshops...  (Read 3983 times)

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
So...Jeweler's workshops...
« on: March 03, 2011, 11:08:33 pm »

Any reason they're the only ones that I can't build in a 3x3 room w/out trapping a dorf?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 09:14:55 pm by elf-fondling human »
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

ral

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying to arm_ok
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Re: So...Jelwer's workshops...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2011, 11:12:05 pm »

I think you can build them in a 3x3 room as long as the entrance isn't in the wrong place.  Workshops seem to have different impassable areas, which is annoying.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2011, 11:13:41 pm »

Workshops seem to have different impassable areas, which is annoying.

When placing a workshop, the darker tiles are impassable.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 11:19:37 pm »

Put the door on the left, top, or bottom, and the guy wont get trapped...  Only the three tiles along the right side are impassible on the jewelers workshop, it is one of the easier ones to accommodate really.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 11:20:39 pm »

Huh.Guess that explains it then. Cool.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Cameo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2011, 01:06:44 am »

Unless you're really tight for space I find it good to have at least one square around each workshop (so 5x5 for one workshop), as a stockpile of whatever materials go into that workshop, to save the craftsdwarf from having to haul, and prevent problems with door placement. Just me though, ymmv..
Dwarf fortress... The only place where it is a viable economic alternative to use silver for bulk storage of random trinkets.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2011, 03:24:28 am »

you'll notice the same issue with a bowyers shop.
both lave 3 tiles on one side inaccessible.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2011, 05:52:33 pm »

That's why I always make my workshops 3x4. Guarantees access after building (since I always put my access in the "spare" row), and I have room left over to stick in whatever else I might want in the free space.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2011, 06:09:01 pm »

Or you could go with a more open design with all related workshops and input piles in the same workspace, which tends to make things easier on your haulers if you have multiples of the same type of workshop.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 06:17:37 pm »

I like isolated workshops as it allows me to lock any mood fail dwarf away and minimize impact to production. This allows me to not worry about having to draft a military if there's an early mood and someone goes beserk. They are locked away. Multiple workshops in the same larger room would mean more people to get attacked or have to be locked in and die.

You can get the same effect of multiple workshops in a larger space if you just make a row of related workshops with their input stockpiles nearby. Indeed, you can go for a secure build with a matching room down 1 z level that is connected by stairway inside the workshop, and put a stockpile of input below (ie, jewels for a jewelers) if you wanted. But I don't worry about that level of efficency, but some do. I'm happy with the stockpile being just across the hallspace.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Khift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 06:49:40 pm »

Another benefit of isolated workshops is to determine the materials used by mooding dwarves. See a dwarf claim a workshop, lock him in there, wait til he makes his demands clear, and then forbid any material you don't want him to use (if he demands metal, forbid all but your platinum [or bluemetal if you're really fancy], etc), unlock the doors and let him at it. Once he begins construction, unforbid everything again so your economy can return to normal.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 07:09:41 pm »

Code: [Select]
    xx
xxx xx xxx
xxxxxxxxxx
xxx xx xxx
    xx
    xx
xxx xx xxx
xxxxxxxxxx
xxx xx xxx
I usually do this, so that each workshop has a 3x3 wall around it with an opening for a cage trap to capture dangerous failed mood dorfs. I also keep most of the spaces rough stone, and when a skill dwarf shows up I smooth out one area then build his/her workshop there out of cheap stone. Once that dorf reaches legendary status, I dismantle the dumb workshop, engrave his/her area, then build an excellent workshop out of precious stone or metal. I have arranged them in a pattern so that no two workshops share a set of wall tiles, as well. I then further divided the workshops into sectors, with the two sides leading off from the middle hallway, each hallway representing a different material (stone, wood, metal, refuse, metal/jewels, and glass/clay) I tend to build plant and food-based workshops elsewhere, like near my farms/pens.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
Re: So...Jeweler's workshops...
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 10:51:05 pm »

Ick, a two-thick dividing wall. I hate those. Everything has to be a one-thick curtain or a three-thick bulwark with nice clean black space in the middle. No funny subdivisions of wall intersections that way. I also use the Z-levels for storage of input and output.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2011, 11:02:40 pm »

You can captured failed mood dwarves?!  How do you keep them alive, or is the capture just to prevent injury to others?  I'd like to keep an insane zoo if I could...

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2011, 11:16:38 pm »

No workshop prevents dwarves from entering from the north or south. Not even the kitchen, which only has 2/3 top row tiles impassable.
Pages: [1] 2