Poll

I play/prefer...

Vanilla DF 40.x
Still playing Masterwork for DF 34.x
Both equally.
Both, mostly the new vanilla.
Both, mostly Masterwork.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Poll - MDF or DF40.x ?  (Read 25503 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Poll - MDF or DF40.x ?
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2014, 08:46:11 pm »

The only real sarcasm was the "glad" part. I'm not saying that Meph is saying he's more important than Toady, just that he's not discouraging the attitude of people who would say such a thing.
I dont remember ever seeing a person posting that I am "more important" than Toady. Samarkand was spot on, I made this thread to see how many people stopped playing MDF because of DF2014, to decide if I should focus on adding more Warlock content for MDF, or instead update to DF2014 after I finished the humans.

Sometimes I think you take DF way more serious than I do.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140005.msg5447054#msg5447054 and the endless pimping of Masterwork by the users in Reddit because they seem to be under the opinion that there is no better mod in existence and it adds more to the game than pretty much anything and it's the biggest mod for any game ever (actually saw this one said!) etc. etc.

and yeah I do not sure why you're surprised

EDIT: Rather it's not that I'm taking it too seriously but more that I feel like this mod is sorta stunting the growth of the mod community by paradoxically being too popular for a mod.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 08:50:50 pm by Putnam »

CptCrunchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2014, 08:55:50 pm »

I don't usually pay too much attention to the community, but Putnam I think you've got the wrong idea here.  As was stated, this poll was created to see what parts of development Meph should focus on, not to measure his dick size against Toady's.  Meph is not responsible for the things said by people on reddit.
Likes nether horror for their ability to turn people into eldritch horrors. Seriously, what is wrong with that dwarf.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2014, 08:58:34 pm »

I'm not saying Meph's in the wrong here at all. I'm saying that it could be construed that way by the particular brand of fanatics that I'm talking about. You know, the kind who would respond with "yeah I play Masterwork it does more than Toady did this release anyway!".

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2014, 09:23:19 pm »

I didnt see that post, I mostly stick to the modding board as you know. Obviously that guy plays fort mode a lot more, in which case MasterworkDF does add more content than the 40.3 update. I am not really surprised by your stance, I know what you think of the reddit community, but I am surprised why you post rather passive-aggressively in a thread that has nothing to do with the topic. Besides, this thread here is in the Masterwork board, obviously most people that see it, vote here and answer are biased towards MDF.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2014, 09:29:22 pm »

Obviously that guy plays fort mode a lot more, in which case MasterworkDF does add more content than the 40.3 update.

That completely depends on how you define "content". I figure that the new raws alone add more to fortress mode (theoretically) than 0.34.11 Masterwork ever could simply by nature of the new things that mods can do with the new raws.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2014, 09:33:00 pm »

Obviously that guy plays fort mode a lot more, in which case MasterworkDF does add more content than the 40.3 update.

That completely depends on how you define "content". I figure that the new raws alone add more to fortress mode (theoretically) than 0.34.11 Masterwork ever could simply by nature of the new things that mods can do with the new raws.
Now I know that this is not a discussion that will end well. Putnam, if you really want to support toady make his moderating job easy. I'm sure he gets enough of a headache over this sort of thing without people intentionally bringing up the tension.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2014, 09:34:11 pm »

EDIT: Double posting halves how smart you sound. 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 09:37:54 pm by Samarkand »
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2014, 10:51:21 pm »

I decided not to try the new vanilla dwarf fortress, because I've just started to get into and understand this mod and I want to take the time to fully explore and enjoy it. Plus, I play fortress mode almost exclusively (I'm not bashing adventurer, I just don't enjoy it. I Play what I have fun with.) and masterwork just adds a lot more options as to what I can do as a player. I don't know to mod jack **** so adding what I want is out of the question. Heck, I don't even understand how the game mechanically works really. Toady's new version looked like it changed more stuff in adventurer, or that it changed more stuff that didn't directly affect my range of options as far as what I could do while managing a fort. So Masterwork it is. Masterwork Dwarf Fortress. At its core, its still the game we all love, just personalized a lot. For people who bash the new official vanilla version, my thoughts are that for Toady to make a complete game (i.e. his dream I believe) he has to work on all aspects, so changes and features that might seem petty or even "lame" now might be critical much later in the game's development.

Anyway Meph, can't wait for whenever you have time to update your mod to the new official version, but I'll playing with your current release to try and get the fullest experience.

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2014, 03:41:06 am »

Crucially, I suspect all of the people who like to try new features as soon as they come out, and then respond with helpful feedback, are probably playing the new version.  I'm still spending my dwarfing hours with masterwork, but it's because I'm lazy and have no opinions :)
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2014, 02:22:02 pm »

Still playing Masterwork for DF 34.x

Haven't even tried the new version yet, it sounds great but MWDF and DFHACK offer far too many awesome features that mean I'll likely never be able to play Vanilla DF again :)
 That said, I'm looking forward to using advfort with DFHACK and running around spreading rumours of my misdeeds :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 02:27:49 pm by s20dan »

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2014, 04:06:33 pm »

I thought this was a useful poll. [My take on the poll was] Not in seeing who plays what, but what direction meph should focus on. MW 34.11 addons (humans) or 40.xx mw
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 04:14:10 pm by thistleknot »

cerevox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2014, 04:22:47 pm »

I suspect that the low amount of feedback on humans was because they are humans. It always seems like when people play fantasy games they avoid playing as humans because they are less fantastical. That and it was a beta trial, many people seem to prefer to stick to stable builds.

I think a more revealing poll would be of which race people play most. I believe that people are going to focus on the most fantastical races over the more mundane ones. I think the humans additions are great, I just think that as a race they are not going to be as popular as some of the other races.

As for random drama, just ignore it. If people say silly things, just ignore it and it will go away. Drawing attention to it and calling them out will only make it a bigger thing. Don't quote it or call out names, just move on.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2014, 04:51:59 pm »

People play races in this order:
Dwarves
Warlocks
Orcs
Kobolds
Succubi
Gnomes

I made a poll about that ;) And humans did win the race over many other races that could potentially happen, both in the first fundraiser (they were ultimately beaten by Warlocks, but other than that it was elves and humans that dominated the poll) and the second. (beating insect swarm race with a slight lead)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

FengYun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2014, 07:36:22 pm »

I continue to play MDF 34.x, because dfhack has not been updated and DF 40.x is too buggy yet. I did not follow the development process too close and did not even play much, because crashes spoil all the fun, but I did not notice too many new additions for the fort mode as I would like to see. I hope that there is more freedom for mod-makers in the new version of DF. If dfhack is ready somewhere in mid-August or September, I will be looking forward to see MDF based on a stable version of DF 40.x.

kizucha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2014, 05:10:22 am »

I wait for the MDF update to 40.x or an update for MDF 34.x, so for my part, meph do what YOU want next. :D If its eating a cake, i hope the cake taste good. ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13