Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How important is writing to you?

I'd like to become a professional writer in the next decade.
- 7 (29.2%)
Less than videogames.
- 6 (25%)
I am a professional writer.
- 3 (12.5%)
More than my health.
- 2 (8.3%)
I'm not sure.
- 5 (20.8%)
More than videogames.
- 0 (0%)
Not at all.
- 1 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Voting closed: April 23, 2012, 11:42:36 pm

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 38

Author Topic: Bay12 Writers Guild  (Read 56427 times)

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Writers Guild
« Reply #330 on: November 30, 2010, 02:39:26 pm »

Point.  After all, Sanderson's epic has about 75 of those short chapters. 

I'll consider posting more - you yourself shot down two updates a week on separate days, but perhaps two chapters together would work better if the chapters are smaller.  But how small is too small?
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 30, 2010, 03:05:57 pm »

If there's a big lapse between two updates, even if on the same week, it doesn't accomplish anything. It could work if they were on two consecutive days, but I don't check your updates compulsively the whole of Monday, so it really might as well be two updates at once... You want to break chapters down even more?

Talanic

• Bay Watcher
  • Struggling author / pizza delivery guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 30, 2010, 06:15:45 pm »

No, not what I meant.  I meant that IF the chapters aren't among my few large chapters, THEN two chapters, posted at the same time on Monday, would be better than what I'm doing right now.  So I'd like to get your opinion on how much you'd think I should put in an update as a minimum - 1k words? 1.5k, 2k?
I'm an aspiring Science Fiction and Fantasy writer.  I'm telling the tale of a hapless cyborg everyman lost in a savage fantasy world.

My first review from a real magazine!

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 01, 2010, 04:52:53 am »

That's the only options? 8) 2,000 words minimum. It would take less time to read that than to watch a Youtube video at its current length limit.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: December 01, 2010, 03:17:56 pm »

Since I seem to fail at plotlines, I'm going to take a pre-packaged internet story (Half Life: Full Life Concequences) and put a spin on it to flex my writing skills and swing my Vorpal Sword of Rambling +5.

Right after my exams finish. >.>

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: December 01, 2010, 03:28:18 pm »

Yeaaah... Fanfiction about fanfiction is always a great idea. If you're just going to ramble, why not ramble about something random. Ramble-storming ideas seems to me a better idea.

I'm not sure you're asking for advice, though, so whatever.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 01, 2010, 03:30:20 pm »

Arrite, I'll ramble randomly then.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #337 on: December 01, 2010, 03:33:27 pm »

No, not what I meant.  I meant that IF the chapters aren't among my few large chapters, THEN two chapters, posted at the same time on Monday, would be better than what I'm doing right now.  So I'd like to get your opinion on how much you'd think I should put in an update as a minimum - 1k words? 1.5k, 2k?

It's probably best to focus on a Conflict-Resolution cycle than any hard word limit. Personally, my scenes tend to run about 1k minimum, so if I wrote in chapters they'd be between 3-and-7k words. About the length of a decent short story.

Yeaaah... Fanfiction about fanfiction is always a great idea. If you're just going to ramble, why not ramble about something random. Ramble-storming ideas seems to me a better idea.

I'm not sure you're asking for advice, though, so whatever.

Seconded. I've tried writing fanfiction and it's actually pretty damn boring. Just goof around.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 05, 2010, 01:13:50 pm »

I've not been paying too much attention to my writing in recent weeks, have been reading here but not really contributing. Nevertheless, to try and kickstart my own involvement a bit, posting here as I continue the story of Grax, aspiring goblin snatcher.

Any critique gratefully received!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 05, 2010, 08:32:02 pm »

I've tried writing fanfiction and it's actually pretty damn boring

Sounds more like you just sort of chose fanfiction for fanfiction. There is more to chosing the right thing to creating a fanfiction of then your pure love for the medium. It is one of the reason why writers who are told what to write tend to do less well, despite their talents, then anything they get into themselves.

Though I can't really talk... I havn't really wrote... well... anything ever.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 06, 2010, 11:46:55 am »

I guess someone's decided to call me on my complaints about Talanic's chapter lengths. Well.

"The sense of freedom on leaving the fortress was completely liberating". I just want to say that it's the most bullshit redundancy I've met in quite a while. :P

Well, amusing ending. However, all the fancy flourish of minute details in the beginning is lost on me. After reading Willfor's NaNo I don't care for anything but emotions, and action. I'm probably a follower of Poe now. And your passage didn't evoke any emotions in me up until the sorcerer, that is, for about 2/3 of it. While yes, it is far above average for this forum, I think it fails in real literature. You could have used less flourish and more characterisation, Grax feels pretty gray and generic. He could have his own speech patterns and gestures instead of generic brushing his coat against a chair.

-

Neonivek: Well, fanfiction has its draws. I dabbled in it once, I will even admit that it was Harry Potter, and how I wanted the series to end. By the way, I thought my ending was awesome, and that was basically my draw to do it - I was kind of afraid that the real ending would suck, which it did, but I didn't care anymore when the book came out. Relatedly, another draw is that you can spend only so much time reading your favourite book and characters, and you want more, and another book is so far away, so your brain becomes fixated on it. What I can't understand is what is the draw to write fanfiction about Gordon Freeman? He's a video game character without any personality whatsoever, goddammit!

-

Going back
It's probably best to focus on a Conflict-Resolution cycle than any hard word limit. Personally, my scenes tend to run about 1k minimum, so if I wrote in chapters they'd be between 3-and-7k words. About the length of a decent short story.

Rather Resolution-Conflict when we're talking about updates on the Internet. You want to draw people in, and what a better way than ending on a cliffhanger?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 06, 2010, 11:50:47 am »

Art of Dramatic Writing.  Lajos Egri.

Read it, dudes.  It will fix a lot of the issues the B12 writing group has as a whole.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 06, 2010, 12:04:45 pm »

Oh, yeah?

You're aware that B12 writing group has variable membership? No single book will fix anything. I'll add it to the OP, though.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 06, 2010, 12:19:17 pm »

Quote from: Supermikhail
"The sense of freedom on leaving the fortress was completely liberating". I just want to say that it's the most bullshit redundancy I've met in quite a while. :P

Oh yeah ... didn't spot that one!

flourish ... lost on me

I'm not overly happy with this section either and it doesn't have the effect I was going for, perhaps a rethinking is necessary

You could have used less flourish and more characterisation, Grax feels pretty gray and generic. He could have his own speech patterns and gestures instead of generic brushing his coat against a chair.

Hmm .. yeah .. I think I already knew this, to be honest. By you spelling it out, it perhaps points out to me that it has more importance than I was willing to attach to it. Especially when the story hangs generally off this guy.

Much appreciated, supermikhail, you are a prince among men.

Quote from: Vector
Lajos Egri

I'll take that as a recommendation, I need some more christmas presents from the wife!

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #344 on: December 06, 2010, 03:06:51 pm »

Sounds more like you just sort of chose fanfiction for fanfiction. There is more to chosing the right thing to creating a fanfiction of then your pure love for the medium. It is one of the reason why writers who are told what to write tend to do less well, despite their talents, then anything they get into themselves.

Nope. I chose it because I wanted to ape the story to learn about it. Decided not to be constrained by it and allow myself freedom to write whatever I wanted. But in the end I realized that I didn't have anything to add, it was just rehashing somebody else's ideas. I didn't learn anything.

Rather Resolution-Conflict when we're talking about updates on the Internet. You want to draw people in, and what a better way than ending on a cliffhanger?

Well, that's what I meant. Use the Conflict-Resolution cycle as the basis for your updates. If you cut the update right at the climax that's leaving off at the peak of the cycle.

Basically "go by plot not by word count."
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 38