Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 148

Author Topic: Trivial findings  (Read 444998 times)

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
Re: Trivial findings
« Reply #1980 on: April 20, 2021, 11:07:12 am »

Rather, those dwarves may have been "thin".  Right, grates are most likely better... I was tinkering around to see how the vertical bars would work.  Next I replaced the bars with a carved fortification wall tile. It worked just like the vertical bars, BUT I was prepared for that expected outcome by having the drain go to into a large enough chamber so the water level is 1 or 2 instead of 7.  Thus, the dwarfs get a fun waterslide experience instead of drowning.  :)  Maybe I'll put the bars back in.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: April 20, 2021, 01:53:15 pm »

Consider if the military dwarfs were wearing armor. That probably increases the odds of being knocked over by water flow and being moved from tile to tile with the flow of the water.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

bool1989

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: May 13, 2021, 01:03:03 pm »

An endless supply of glass pots was an easy thing to set up on a volcano and sand embark.

Now I don't have to make so many stone pots, and can save the stone for more useful items.

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: May 13, 2021, 02:19:56 pm »

An endless supply of glass pots was an easy thing to set up on a volcano and sand embark.

Now I don't have to make so many stone pots, and can save the stone for more useful items.

Also: tables, chairs, doors, chests, weapon and armor racks and bookcases. And it replaces metal for magma safe screw pump parts. My own most recent fort has fire clay and it actually makes pottery worthwhile, but glass is much more versatile.

Here’s a related Trivial Finding I’ve been meaning to post: if you dig your underground farm plots in a clay layer, you can use your farm plot as an indoor clay gathering zone.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: May 14, 2021, 02:17:02 am »

Here’s a related Trivial Finding I’ve been meaning to post: if you dig your underground farm plots in a clay layer, you can use your farm plot as an indoor clay gathering zone.

I wonder if that also works with the kiln itself.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: May 15, 2021, 12:40:59 pm »

I wish there was a way to keep the upper non-stone levels of the fortress clear of underground plants without constantly having it be furrowed, the ugly cave moss and dead spore trees are ugly and are one of the petty reasons I don't like exposing the cavern layers.

You could build stone floors or paved roads over them.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: May 15, 2021, 03:40:08 pm »

I wonder if that also works with the kiln itself.

It does. But I find I have to put the zone first, the kiln second.

I often find my clay layer (or sand layer) is aquifer, so I have staircase gathering zones. But I find it more efficient, if it's possible, to have the clay gathering zone in a stone storage area, as the clay ends up in the storage area and there's less problematic hauling jobs, or in the case of the sand, in a bag storage area, for hauling reasons.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: May 16, 2021, 01:53:21 am »

I wish there was a way to keep the upper non-stone levels of the fortress clear of underground plants without constantly having it be furrowed, the ugly cave moss and dead spore trees are ugly and are one of the petty reasons I don't like exposing the cavern layers.

You could build stone floors or paved roads over them.

One thing about those mossy areas though: they’ve saved me a couple of times when I somehow cooked all my plump helmets and ran out of spawn. When that happens, if you’re lucky, there might be a plump helmet randomly generated in a mossy have that can restart your farms. So me, I have a soft spot in my heart for them.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: June 04, 2021, 03:59:34 pm »

TIF there's a death message stating that a Dwarf has been 'Found dead, badly crushed'. I'm not a hundred percent sure what the exact conditions for it to occur are, though, since I didn't see the dwarf die and only found his corpse when I zoomed to it.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: June 04, 2021, 05:38:50 pm »

TIF there's a death message stating that a Dwarf has been 'Found dead, badly crushed'. I'm not a hundred percent sure what the exact conditions for it to occur are, though, since I didn't see the dwarf die and only found his corpse when I zoomed to it.

Maybe being propelled by a blow (or intelligent undead power?)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: June 05, 2021, 01:51:25 pm »

I think that happens when they're caught in a cave-in.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: June 06, 2021, 12:17:05 am »

Trees never cross mid-level tiles (embark squares; 48x48 tile areas.) If one grows near the border, it will be cut off at the border and horizontally stunted overall.

Discovered this after reverse engineering some code used in tree chopping, and realized it would fall apart if the checked tile crossed the boundary.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 01:43:36 am by Bumber »

hedgerow

• Bay Watcher
  • You're Thunderclappin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: June 06, 2021, 01:42:53 pm »

Trees never cross mid-level tiles (embark squares; 48x48 tile areas.) If one grows near the border, it will be cut off at the border and horizontally stunted overall.

Discovered this after reverse engineering some code used in tree chopping, and realized it would fall apart if the checked tile crossed the boundary.

That would be something to notice, really, unless it wasn't immediately apparent.

Ah, the military would have to acknowledge that the Carp God hates tower defense games.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #1993 on: June 06, 2021, 04:21:13 pm »

Now that it's been mentioned, I can see it crystal clear, especially at 2 z-level above ground. It even seems to limit how wide towercap caps can grow: they often reach a radius of three or four tiles within the embark squares, but never more than two near the square border, with some caps only spanning the trunk tile.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: June 13, 2021, 05:40:28 am »

I had always assumed that bucklers and shields were interchangeable with no functional difference.  But as I was going through the raws just now, I noticed shields have a block chance of 20 whereas bucklers only have a block chance of 10. 
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 148