Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 111

Author Topic: The Bay12 RPG - Made in RPG Maker VX! - Back again by popular demand!  (Read 222398 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 RPG - Made in RPG Maker VX! - You can be a player!
« Reply #540 on: November 05, 2012, 10:13:40 pm »

I'd like an NPC, probably, but I need to figure more out about what's going on before going into more detail.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: November 05, 2012, 10:16:01 pm »

Uh...

Soundcloud? I think there was something else...

(By the way you are extremely awesome for doing this.)

We are still going for the bit where I'm a boss for a while right?

I'm gonna need a Theme.

Soundcloud looks good, thanks!  Now to figure out how to get the thing to export...

If you don't mind an amateur doing your theme, just give me a general feel or style and maybe some examples of what you're thinking of.  Unless you'd rather me come up with something completely on my own based off of RTRTD.

@PotL

All my love. All my love to everyone who is making the music. :D

'Tis my pleasure, I only hope that the results don't destroy your ears  :P
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: November 05, 2012, 10:27:23 pm »

Do the latter. It's always much more interesting to see what other people come up with.

Except not rtrtd only. Do it based off me as a whole. But mainly RTRTD yeah.

Just make sure its one of the best damn tracks in the set.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: November 05, 2012, 10:32:47 pm »

There's our hero's kingdom. We don't have a name or idea yet.

Well, given that we have a couple of robot PCs, maybe it should be a technologically advanced super-kingdom or something? Something along the lines of the Empire from FFIII/VI? Either that or we set up a tinkerer government in one of the Lower Boards, maybe scatter some random workshops around and throw in an obtuse side-quest.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: November 05, 2012, 10:53:01 pm »

Technologically advanced government. It makes sense, that could be where USEC_HEALBOT comes in and SVAMPAPA-XK001. Alfie wanted to be a mechanic, and Solifuge a wandering merchant/inventor. Ooh.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: November 05, 2012, 10:53:59 pm »

So, we have a technologically advanced main empire, Armok's the bad guy. Anything else?
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: November 05, 2012, 10:59:03 pm »

Obviously if the player's kingdom is technologically advanced, we need a bunch of filthy hippies filthy elves trying to overthrow it, because nature-v-science is something that always crops up in RPGs.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: November 05, 2012, 11:05:06 pm »

I thought we all lived in a Country sized dwarven fortress?
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: November 05, 2012, 11:13:19 pm »

Some of us do. You of course live forever alone in your cave, masterin' yo magics. The robots will probably live in a different kingdom.
I was thinking the Bay12 kingdom is like a Dwarf Fortress. There's a technologically advanced kingdom nearby where Svampapa, Alfie, and USEC reside.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: November 05, 2012, 11:21:58 pm »

*Confused* What, like spacebattles?

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: November 05, 2012, 11:23:18 pm »

Battle Theme 1! *WIP*
A nice simple 8-bity tune, it still needs polishing and extending, but I'm actually rather proud of it, considering it was my first attempt at making a fast-paced tune.

Battle Theme 2! *WIP*
(Sounds much better with headphones than not)
This one is still very much work in progress, I still need to balance the instruments and mess with the melody a bit before I'll be willing to call it a proper song in the working, as is it has potential, but it's ridiculously rough.
Also, something weird happened to the volume, and I can't quite figure out how to fix it, so I'm probably going to redo this one from scratch.

Creepy Town Theme!
I think I can call this one finished.  It was the first song I attempted on LMMS and it came about from mucking around with the harpsichord and a synth I can't remember the name of.
I'm not sure but I could swear that it was inspired by/sounds similar to something I've heard before but I can't think of what...

Please let me know what I'm doing right/wrong!  I'm literally just starting, so any and all comments and criticism will help me improve!

Do the latter. It's always much more interesting to see what other people come up with.

Except not rtrtd only. Do it based off me as a whole. But mainly RTRTD yeah.

Just make sure its one of the best damn tracks in the set.

Righty-do then. I have some ideas already, but I won't be trying it until I have some more experience and know the software better, so it might be a while, especially if my schedule gets hectic again.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: November 05, 2012, 11:27:06 pm »

I'm really liking number two and creepy town is really good. Number one is kind of not so good. I can't seem to identify the rhythm or beat or other music words.

(On #2:
applesmachine: the thickest/longest part of the bar's sounds are a bit loud, and before that, i think it should echo a little, or like fade into each other rather than a sharp end and then start with each sound
applesmachine: the beat itself is fine i think

Dermonster: http://soundcloud.com/phantom-of-the-library/bay12-battletune2v3wip
Dermonster: How does this sound like, battle music wise?
Gatleos: ...Was that music
Gatleos: Hasn't ffs offered to do this yet
Dermonster: I dont know did he
Dermonster: twas done by phantom of library
Gatleos: He's getting pretty good at this kind of thing, you should ask him
Dermonster: he isnt online, I will now completely forget this piece of advice
)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 11:47:45 pm by dermonster »

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: November 05, 2012, 11:53:52 pm »

Ooh, music.

Battle Theme 1! *WIP*

It seems to be a series of fast notes.  They don't have any particular direction, but the initial repeating "beeps" reminded me of something: have you played Sword & Sworcery?  Consider the simple use of fast notes in Death To Everyone if you need inspiration.

Battle Theme 2! *WIP*

Okay, that's more effective.  It could definitely play as "background" for something.  If you want to bring it out more to the forefront, then in addition to balancing the instruments (as you said), consider the "lead" around 13 seconds in: it seems to go bonkers, but not really hit a melody.  Even just four or five notes repeating a bunch can sound compelling, so long as you choose good ones.

Creepy Town Theme!

Here's a thought.  I imagined I knew where the tune was going for exactly two notes: it was going to be creepy minor key stuff, heading down in pitch.  Instead, it went up, sort of like a crazy circus or something "children" themed.  Perfectly fine for an area that is going insane, but you could make a separate more ominous sort of "creepy town" with deeper notes.

Did I succeed in giving constructive criticism?  Yes?  No?

--Rexfelum

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: November 06, 2012, 12:05:21 am »

What are you guys using to make the music?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: November 06, 2012, 01:09:41 am »

I'm really liking number two and creepy town is really good. Number one is kind of not so good. I can't seem to identify the rhythm or beat or other music words.
Thanks!

(On #2:
applesmachine: the thickest/longest part of the bar's sounds are a bit loud, and before that, i think it should echo a little, or like fade into each other rather than a sharp end and then start with each sound
applesmachine: the beat itself is fine i think
I haven't yet figured out how to do echoes or effective fade-ins in LMMS yet, but I will keep this in mind.

Gatleos: ...Was that music
Hey, it's my very first try at this sort of thing okay?!

*Shakes fist at imaginary Gatleos in the sky

Battle Theme 1! *WIP*

It seems to be a series of fast notes.  They don't have any particular direction, but the initial repeating "beeps" reminded me of something: have you played Sword & Sworcery?  Consider the simple use of fast notes in Death To Everyone if you need inspiration.
I have not, but it sounds neat. The directionless-ness is a product of not quite knowing what to do with it after the first verse and just fooling around with it until I got something that sounded halfway decent.

Battle Theme 2! *WIP*

Okay, that's more effective.  It could definitely play as "background" for something.  If you want to bring it out more to the forefront, then in addition to balancing the instruments (as you said), consider the "lead" around 13 seconds in: it seems to go bonkers, but not really hit a melody.  Even just four or five notes repeating a bunch can sound compelling, so long as you choose good ones.
I don't have much to say in response other than that bonkers is a good word for what happened to the lead, it was a simple tune (what the first measure is currently more or less) originally, but much like the entirety of the first battle tune it mutated over time into the monstrosity of rambling sound that it is now, because I wasn't sure where to go with it after the first verse.

Creepy Town Theme!

Here's a thought.  I imagined I knew where the tune was going for exactly two notes: it was going to be creepy minor key stuff, heading down in pitch.  Instead, it went up, sort of like a crazy circus or something "children" themed.  Perfectly fine for an area that is going insane, but you could make a separate more ominous sort of "creepy town" with deeper notes.
A town slowly slipping into insanity or at least halfway there is rather what I had in mind when I was making the "circus" part, I'll remake it as necessary for the game though, as I'm not sure if we'll even have a creepy town in it yet.

Did I succeed in giving constructive criticism?  Yes?  No?

Thank you to everyone who has helped me out so far! I hope that I can make them so that they don't make your ears bleed in the future!
Even Gatleos, for letting me know how far I have to go.

What are you guys using to make the music?

Personally, I'm using LMMS, if you decide to give it a try, be sure that you set the audio settings to SDL, or else you won't hear anything.

@Rheud: Should I spoiler stuff relating to my musical endeavors in particular in the future?  I don't want to clog up the thread.

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 111