Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 845

Author Topic: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.  (Read 1274671 times)

Izu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Random Things you drew/shopped/made/etc.
« Reply #2745 on: August 03, 2014, 01:33:32 pm »

Purely out of curiosity, did you just insinuate that Jopax's sketches are not 'badass'?
Yes,
although they're nice compared to most of the artwork stuff in this forum, and I really support his motivation to use paper.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2746 on: August 03, 2014, 01:38:34 pm »

*Twitch*

Okay, show us better art you have done.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2747 on: August 03, 2014, 02:05:46 pm »

*Twitch*

Okay, show us better art you have done.
Despite the somewhat confrontational tone and logical fallacy (no offense intended, Th4DwArfY1), I agree with the sentiment of this statement. I would appreciate an example (made by you or by someone else) of what you consider to be better or more
'badass'

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #2748 on: August 03, 2014, 02:07:12 pm »

None taken. I reacted a bit negatively, sorry.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2749 on: August 03, 2014, 03:06:29 pm »

I'd have reacted similarly tbh. I don't mind my art being called bad or not badass or not anything you can think of, after all, I presonally don't consider most of it any good. But saying that someone is worse off for considering it any good is kind of mean.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Izu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2750 on: August 03, 2014, 03:20:22 pm »

Despite the somewhat confrontational tone and logical fallacy (no offense intended, Th4DwArfY1), I agree with the sentiment of this statement. I would appreciate an example (made by you or by someone else) of what you consider to be better or more
'badass'

There are too many masterworks out there and even if I would draw something for you then it wouldn't show in any relatively objective way why they are better or worse.
But I can try to explain! I'll try my best in english. First it's important to draw long unbroken lines. It's much easier and faster to catch the shape if the drawing person at least tries to learn this, especially for sketching, for obvious reasons. Second, stop thinking in lines, think in spots of shadows, that's how objects in real live are made visible (light gives spots of colors and shadows). Third, shade or hatch along the surface, it gives a better understanding for the shape and spatiality, especially while drawing. Fourth, don't try to avoid difficult shapes like hands and feet. Don't hide them! Even if it's a quick sketch. It's also a known assumption that you can see a drawers talent in the way hands were drawn. The whole topic goes much deeper, though.
Two things I can only subjectively tell from his drawings but things that are important as well: He should start drawing from real life more often, not from photographs or other drawings (they're already 2D). He should draw on much bigger paper too (a3 minimum). Study anatomy by drawing a person from real life over and over again.
All of the things I said are optional, though! There's no need to do any of that if you're just scribbling for fun

and I'm not judging him – I tried to answer your guys request. Peace!

I'd have reacted similarly tbh. I don't mind my art being called bad or not badass or not anything you can think of, after all, I presonally don't consider most of it any good. But saying that someone is worse off for considering it any good is kind of mean.

To me it felt weird and funny to read an overly super exaggerated kind comment like "some of the most badass art I've ever seen [in my entire life]". Sorry, I didn't mean to sound rude.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 03:22:33 pm by Izu »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2751 on: August 03, 2014, 04:15:27 pm »

Funnily enough I have started on pretty much all of those things you've mentioned. But all of that is in the current sketchbook XD
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Izu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2752 on: August 03, 2014, 04:17:58 pm »

Funnily enough I have started on pretty much all of those things you've mentioned. But all of that is in the current sketchbook XD
Cool! Keep it up and never give up! (:
Your drawings are good!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 04:20:09 pm by Izu »

defeeca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2753 on: August 03, 2014, 06:15:17 pm »

bronze battle axe
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2754 on: August 03, 2014, 08:32:56 pm »

bronze battle axe
The weapon of Viking Rorschach?
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2755 on: August 03, 2014, 09:25:22 pm »

But I can try to explain! I'll try my best in english. First it's important to draw long unbroken lines. It's much easier and faster to catch the shape if the drawing person at least tries to learn this, especially for sketching, for obvious reasons. Second, stop thinking in lines, think in spots of shadows, that's how objects in real live are made visible (light gives spots of colors and shadows). Third, shade or hatch along the surface, it gives a better understanding for the shape and spatiality, especially while drawing. Fourth, don't try to avoid difficult shapes like hands and feet. Don't hide them! Even if it's a quick sketch. It's also a known assumption that you can see a drawers talent in the way hands were drawn. The whole topic goes much deeper, though.
Two things I can only subjectively tell from his drawings but things that are important as well: He should start drawing from real life more often, not from photographs or other drawings (they're already 2D). He should draw on much bigger paper too (a3 minimum). Study anatomy by drawing a person from real life over and over again.
All of the things I said are optional, though! There's no need to do any of that if you're just scribbling for fun

and I'm not judging him – I tried to answer your guys request. Peace!

It's also important to keep in mind that the goal of art is not to accurately render images.   The goal is to convey and/or inspire ideas and passion.  Rendering is only a means to facilitate that end.  That means being socially and culturally informed about the audience is of equal or greater importance, and it also means that groups outside of the intended audience might not have a favorable reaction.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2756 on: August 03, 2014, 11:05:35 pm »

I'll just butt in on the thoughtful discussion on the meaning behind art and post this random thing I shopped that has no relation to the current topic whatsoever.

I made a custom desktop wallpaper using a far smaller image I had found online. Not my own work, so it's basically just image manipulation.
Eh. I don't think I'd actually use it as a wallpaper any time soon. Also the vector for the english translation could only be found in jpeg format, so the aliasing is sub-par.

Still, I did a thing.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2757 on: August 04, 2014, 12:47:40 am »

I'm working on a mockup of something. I just realized the colours I used for the walls makes it look like it's made out of rice krispy treats...
http://i.imgur.com/WN3NHnk.png

EDIT: The tileset has become a little more complete and I've inserted it into gamemaker.

Hm... 32x48 sprites for 32x32 walls doesn't seem to work well together.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 04:07:40 pm by Jack_Bread »

defeeca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2758 on: August 04, 2014, 05:18:21 pm »

bronze battle axe
The weapon of Viking Rorschach?
i think it was artifact dwarf made thats why it looks like rorschach pieced it together :P to form dwarfen rorschach test to others :D

heres a fighter craft i just cant color it at all :(

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #2759 on: August 06, 2014, 02:23:36 am »

Look what I do with my time instead of going to sleep at a reasonable hour. weee.

Quick shop of the self esteem penguin gif turned into a png with my own custom text. May go back and work on more later, might make an actual gif of the newly christened anti-self esteem penguin. But it's 2:20 atm and I dun feel like putting in extra work.

For doing this I think I may go to hell. Just a little. Like, my big toe would go to hell. "You took a great happy thing with a cute penguin and made people sad, your big toe is going straight to hell. That''ll teach you to mess with penguins."
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 845