Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for ideas  (Read 2666 times)

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Looking for ideas
« on: June 06, 2015, 07:33:52 pm »

I gen'ed a world with one cavern layer and the cavern in my embark has 7/7 water across the entire floor and there are wide open areas on all sides. But I want access to the cavern, or rather the trees in the caverns.

My thought is to drop magma across each of the open areas and then pump out the water in the middle.

Anyone have any other ideas?
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Looking for ideas
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 07:38:28 pm »

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 10:44:55 pm »

Sig'ed
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 03:02:04 am »

I once made an artificial farming island in one water-filled cavern by first dropping in magma from the local volcano pipe and then adding water from a surface brook for mud. It required quite complicated plumbing to cover a large area but the end result was a fertile island where trees and fungi started growing immediately.

Originally underwater large trees proved a bit tricky to get into. They tended to have a circular pool around them where the cap/branches had blocked the falling lava; this pool had to be drained from underneath to gain access to the trunk. Some of the trees also had chunks of obsidian on top of them; felling these trees caused minor cave-ins. Luckily the muddied obsidian grew new trees in few years.

If there hadn't been a convenient magma pipe above the cavern the same could have been accomplished by dropping a block of cavern ceiling into water.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 06:08:21 am by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 03:18:25 am »

Hmmmm.

Dropping the ceiling. I suppose that would be simpler and more precise than using magma.

It also has the benefit of being on the same order of dwarfiness as magma.

I'll let you know how it goes.

In other news I have the pump stack working and the magma sea draining into an 11x11x10 reservoir. If the roof dropping thing works then I will have to find another use for that hot sticks mess.

Libash_Thunderhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 04:04:55 am »

Carve a room several z levels above the cavern, channel out several levels above it, design a pond and wet the floor so you get a mushroom tree farm.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2015, 05:47:17 pm »

Keep in mind how fluids work with the cave-in mechanics, especially as regards the magma piston.  Water is not destroyed, it is teleported on top of the fallen walls.  You still need a method of eliminating the water.  (Although since you can prepare the landing site, you could either carve pipes and fortifications to the map border or use an atom smasher...)

Also, I think all you need to do is merely tap the cavern to get trees.  A single channel into the roof is sufficient.  Then, grow your trees in the soil layers near the surface, or pump water for mud (keep in mind, trees destroy mud).
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

ldog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 10:59:18 am »

Also, I think all you need to do is merely tap the cavern to get trees.  A single channel into the roof is sufficient.  Then, grow your trees in the soil layers near the surface, or pump water for mud (keep in mind, trees destroy mud).

This is my preferred method. If you have an area with at least 2 layers of soil below the surface it's easy. Channel out the upper and dig out the lower, punch into the cavern, Voila! private cavern. Perfect for grazing animals, collecting underground plants and tree farming.

Fungus will start growing and spreading, then plants and trees. I've never seen silk unfortunately, I think that's only on map gen.
Quote from: Dirst
For example, if you wanted to check if a unit was eligible to be a politician or a car salesman, you'd first want to verify that there is no soul present...

Quote from: gchristopher
The more appropriate question becomes, are they awesome and dwarven enough.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 12:00:26 pm »

I'm trying to avoid the loss of fps from carving out a tree farm; which is something I typically do in this situation.

The first ceiling drop test was a failure because the plug got held up by a tree branch.

The second ceiling drop test was a failure as the entire plug crumbled to rubble because I didn't do the floor deconstruct method.

The third ceiling drop was a success, although I lost two miners (one apprentice and one legendary) and now I have a bunch of 1/7 water tiles moving around on the surface of the cavern lake like water bugs (water bugs that consume FPS). I expect they will go away if/when they reach the openings off map.

All-in-all at this point I think I will proceed with magma.

Pearofclubs

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of -it-
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 12:18:36 pm »

Keep in mind how fluids work with the cave-in mechanics, especially as regards the magma piston.  Water is not destroyed, it is teleported on top of the fallen walls.  You still need a method of eliminating the water.  (Although since you can prepare the landing site, you could either carve pipes and fortifications to the map border or use an atom smasher...)

Things do indeed sink in water. That being said, wouldn't you get an island if you kept dropping layers on top of each other? The water'd flow off the island if you brought the lake floor above the surface, which would have the lovely secondary effect of muddying it on its own.
Not as dwarfy as magma, of course. But then again saying something isn't as dwarfy as magma is hardly fair.