Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 43

Author Topic: ☼Battle of the 8 Armies☼ - Looking for players (Who wants some Waaaaagh?)  (Read 120137 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Battle of the 8 Armies☼ - Year 1 finished by all races
« Reply #285 on: December 26, 2014, 06:02:30 am »

Well I should be fine to start orcs today and finish them up the day after tomorrow. Downloading now!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 26, 2014, 07:09:10 am »

I am going to fucking murder you Immortal-D. Luckily I have gotten the injured orcs mostly treated and some soap made in record time, but the sheer... mess is horrifying.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 26, 2014, 07:17:16 am »

I am going to fucking murder you Immortal-D
He's immortal...

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 26, 2014, 10:49:29 am »

immoral?

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gnome year 2 : Summer, Fall and Winter

This year has been quiet, most of our time has been spent updating our home with defenses, water power and developing various technologies.

Updating our home
First to be finished was the hydro-power loop.  The initial channel constructed last year now continues through the home and back to the river.  Water wheels pull energy out of the high velocity river water and provides power to our factory machines.  Once depleted, a windmill powered pump dumps the water back into the river.

Next we worked on the architectural layout of level 100 (the workshop and trading floor).  The hallway and entrance on level 100 was west of our main hallway on level 101.  Workshops and stone and bridges were moved to place the hallways in line with each other vertically.  The seismic telegraph had to be disassembled to accomplish this, and we've yet to rebuild one.

After the hallway was moved, we started working on a trapped corridor between the trading area and the rest of our home.  The outer layer of traps are cage traps, and the inner layer is filled with weapon traps and stone-fall traps.  The weapon traps contain five serrated glass sawblades each.  And as an aside, Nanoxytec is now a legendary glassworker and produces truly gifted glass serrated saw blades.

Automatic Stonecutter
Sometime late in summer, we turned on the Automatic Stonecutter.  It is fed by a minecart delivery system above, and dumps the blocks into a waiting pile below.  The system is dangerous.  We installed a lockable door to prevent any gnomes or pets from accidentally walking into the machine while it is active, however the pile of blocks below is still dangerous to access.  Our leader, Nidrugear, was moving a block from the pile while the machine was turned on and was hit by falling stone.  He was dazed by the first stone, but then hundreds more followed and broke nearly every bone in his body.  The system was turned off (by turning on the power interruption clutch [quick aside, when the lever outside the machinery reads "on", the machine is "off"] and Nidrugear was recovered, but he eventually succumbed to his injuries.

The stonecutter remains offline, although we have successfully turned stone into approximately fifteen hundred blocks.  In the future, maybe we could link it to a furniture line and start producing rock furniture...

The elusive Arc Furnace
The requirements for an arc furnace have almost been met.  We need a dynamo, and we have most of the goods (including magnetized bars) necessary for its completion.  It can probably be finished in the spring.

Fortress tour and detailed map of levers and what they control to follow...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 12:40:41 pm by qorthos »

qorthos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Gnome year 2 : Home tour

Spoiler: Level 99, 100 and 101 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: stocks, dead, etc (click to show/hide)

Save game download.

Closing thoughts: The second year of the gnomes has gone remarkably better.  Two small migrant waves arrived, bringing the total number of gnomes to 18 (though it has now fallen to 17 with the death of Nidrugear).  Some auto-machinery is operational and once the arc furnace is finished metal production may begin in mass.  The home still lacks wealth, and any real trade good.  Green glass saw blades were used this year and could continue to be used in the future.  Food production is iffy, but we're okay with imported food for now. 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 01:14:48 pm by qorthos »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: December 26, 2014, 01:31:30 pm »

heh, it wouldn't be an Orcish fortress without the war chiefs sniping at each other, despite being the richest nation already :D

got the kobold fort in hand, going to play at least a season or two today!

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: December 26, 2014, 04:06:48 pm »

Does 7-zip edit the actual files? I transported the save using 7 - zip and when I opened the original file nothing had changed. I also cannot open Dwarf Fortress using 7-zip because apparently I don't have fmodex.dll. I do have it in
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
, and I have tried reinstalling 7 - zip, but it still does not work.

Hmmmm....
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 04:14:18 pm by Pencil_Art »

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: December 26, 2014, 04:15:07 pm »

Does 7-zip edit the actual files? I transported the save using 7 - zip and when I opened the original file nothing had changed.

You just need something to extract the files, you're not editing anything.  7-zip is an example because it's what Meph uses but in principle you can use other extraction software.

Once you extract Masterwork somewhere on your computer you'll have a folder with this path

F:\...\MasterworkDF V6.2\Dwarf Fortress\data\save\

You'll use 7-zip, or whatever, to extract the save game there.  After doing so you'll have a folder inside with a path like

F:\...\MasterworkDF V6.2\Dwarf Fortress\data\save\Name of the Save Game You Downloaded\

Then you stop using 7-zip.  Go to the folder

F:\...\MasterworkDF V6.2

and double click on

Masterwork Dwarf Fortress.exe

in the window that pops up, click on the little icon in the upper left that looks like a ASCII stylized dwarf, which will open Dwarf Fortress.  Open the save file from within DF like you would any other save game.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 04:21:08 pm by smakemupagus »

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: December 26, 2014, 04:29:29 pm »

Right. Thanks. Will be posting updates shortly.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: December 26, 2014, 04:43:11 pm »

no problem :D

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: December 26, 2014, 05:18:01 pm »

I am going to fucking murder you Immortal-D
He's immortal...
Yes, but only on weekends.
I am going to fucking murder you Immortal-D. Luckily I have gotten the injured orcs mostly treated and some soap made in record time, but the sheer... mess is horrifying.
I think you missed this part of my report;
Workshops are a bit scattered right now, with everything feeding from the central stockpile.  I'll leave proper organization to my successor, as my goal right now is to establish as much basic infrastructure as Orcly possible.
In my haste to get stuff built, I didn't wait for the clear-cutting, just put down Workshops around the trees as best I could.  I should also mention that I purposefully chose to embark without any subterranean trees for a Sawmill, I found it provides a significant advantage.  Given the relatively serene location, I felt such an advantage would hinder our !FUN!.  So you'll have to dig deep for Spore Trees, or capture some Elves and put them to work.

Edit; And lets not forget that every creature under Armok's green Earth saw fit to visit us in the first year.  Were it not for the Dire Wolves, we'd probly be dead.  The last Giant Roach bled out literally moments before Spring.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 05:27:21 pm by Immortal-D »

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Closing thoughts: The second year of the gnomes has gone remarkably better.  Two small migrant waves arrived, bringing the total number of gnomes to 18 (though it has now fallen to 17 with the death of Nidrugear).  Some auto-machinery is operational and once the arc furnace is finished metal production may begin in mass.  The home still lacks wealth, and any real trade good.  Green glass saw blades were used this year and could continue to be used in the future.  Food production is iffy, but we're okay with imported food for now.
Well, I'm surprised you've finished year 2 so quickly. We don't have to catch up with humans, do we? So, it's my turn now, and it will be a good weekend for me.
17 gnomes are perfect. I personally always set the popcap to 15 and got above 20 dwarves. And for gnome, most job can be automated.

Xelanthol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: December 26, 2014, 06:15:39 pm »

I'm away right now but I would love to jump in as orcs at the start of he new year

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #299 on: December 26, 2014, 06:27:15 pm »

I'm away right now but I would love to jump in as orcs at the start of he new year
Added to the orcs. :) In year 3, after Gamerlord.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 43