Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 236

Author Topic: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension  (Read 524014 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4: Thrones of Ascension
« Reply #435 on: March 30, 2014, 03:14:14 am »

Meant to be tigers, like the Bandar Log sacreds. Start with teeth and claws, ends with a free-roaming tiger when the rider dies.

Spoiler: E.g. (click to show/hide)

(Yeah, I know, it seems more reasonable with monkey riders. But still. NationGen has never been known for putting "being reasonable" at the very top of its to-do list.)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: March 30, 2014, 04:12:56 am »

Can't believe people have been keeping this game from me.
It's amazing.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: March 30, 2014, 07:14:12 am »

Urgh I hate PBEM.
What about AI mods, does anyone know a decent one?
AI mods in SupCom made it go from barely playable to pretty intense, similarly with GalCiv2 so I'm sure a similar thing could/might have been done? I looked on the official forums and couldn't find much though.

I started another game today in which I tried to play a bit more tactically rather than just spamming everything and it's a bit more fun. I feel the problem is that I KNOW I can win just by spamming stuff. Any good race combinations to play against?
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 30, 2014, 08:48:14 am »

Urgh I hate PBEM.
AI mods in SupCom made it go from barely playable to pretty intense, similarly with GalCiv2 so I'm sure a similar thing could/might have been done? I looked on the official forums and couldn't find much though.

I started another game today in which I tried to play a bit more tactically rather than just spamming everything and it's a bit more fun. I feel the problem is that I KNOW I can win just by spamming stuff. Any good race combinations to play against?
Can you start a game against multiple Late Age Ermors? :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 30, 2014, 09:54:55 am »

Yeah I've seen that before, so how does one start on the path to modding?

If you're talking about Dom 4 modding, holy crap is this thing useful. It basically handles most of the text editing, and gives you fields for entering all of the different options and things like that. I'm pretty sure that there is a version of this for Dom 3, but I have to go right now so I can't find it for you. Sorry. Still, I've used it before and it's very powerful and excellent for modding.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 30, 2014, 10:40:57 am »

Urgh I hate PBEM.

AFAIK the Dom 4. AI is hardcored sadly..

If you check the devlog here: http://jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/dom4log.html
You can see that there are some AI improvements for the upcoming patch.

- AI item distribution improvements
- AI improved thug creation
- AI improved research item creation
- AI forge improvements

I am wondering when is the new patch coming, since they added/fixed so many stuff already.  ::)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 10:46:01 am by gimli »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 30, 2014, 12:21:10 pm »

AFAIK the Dom 4. AI is hardcored sadly..

If you check the devlog here: http://jaffa.illwinter.com/dom4/dom4log.html
You can see that there are some AI improvements for the upcoming patch.

- AI item distribution improvements
- AI improved thug creation
- AI improved research item creation
- AI forge improvements

I am wondering when is the new patch coming, since they added/fixed so many stuff already.  ::)

Ahh thanks for the info. I'm going to try setting myself up against a few pretty hardcore races in the late age and see what happens.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 30, 2014, 04:45:17 pm »

Pretender design really is a nightmare, especially since this is something everybody has to figure out for themselves and it's connected to all other parts of the game.
Nations with good sacreds are manageable since you can just go for a couple of blesses and pick some scales with leftover points.

But what do I do with nations like LA Pangea?
I mean the don't really need an SC, their sacreds aren't that great for blessing. Sure they are scales heavy, but even after adjusting those what pretender do I pick and what do I do with leftover points? I assume you try to make up for their lack of magic variety, but I don't have a clue what would be good for them.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 30, 2014, 04:51:46 pm »

Quick question: How does Orb lightning work exactly? From the wording of the spell description it sounds like you have to cast Orb lightning, then lightning to get the extra bolts. Is that how it works?

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 30, 2014, 04:54:50 pm »

-snip-

If anybody could answer this that'd be lovely, because I honestly have no idea either, and generally just go off of what the Doms 3 guides say to do.

Quick question: How does Orb lightning work exactly? From the wording of the spell description it sounds like you have to cast Orb lightning, then lightning to get the extra bolts. Is that how it works?

It's a combat spell, just like any other. The only difference is that high-level air mages can fling out multiple bolts per casting of Orb Lightning, instead of just the one with Lightning Bolt.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 30, 2014, 05:07:08 pm »

Ah. That clears things up a bit. Thanks.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 30, 2014, 05:08:41 pm »

Ah. That clears things up a bit. Thanks.

You're welcome.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 30, 2014, 05:14:29 pm »

Orb lightning also has a fairly short range (not melee-close, but you have to risk the mages a bit) I think. Nothing you have to worry about too much with good placement though.

--

I'm still learning that myself but here's what I'm thinking after taking a quick look at LA Pan.
Dormant Titan of War and Wisdom
Dom6 order-3, production-2, growth-2, misfortune-1.
A4E4S3

She can search, cast rituals, cast in battle, fight and provides a shroud bless for your pans.

A4E4 is a pretty good mage bless. It's worth pointing out that LA Pan's only sacred mage is actually pretty crappy for that kind of a bless. BUT! You can forge sacred shrouds (armour slot) with your S1 mages, which you can then give to your pans to have them autobless themselves. That might be worth it.
A4 gives the titan a lot of good selfbuffs if she needs to fight. You also get good access to some battlespells and can forge A boosters.
E4 likewise gives you rock solid selfbuffs for fighting and good battle spells. For forging you have E2 (+1 with boots) pans.
S3 alone gives you an S booster and paired with E lets you forge another S booster. They will be handy to hand out to some of your S1's. S3 risks your pretender to mind duel, and S1's seem to be pretty common in LA. That's a risk worth keeping in mind. Combatwise S3 gives you some decent self buffs and you can communion her with centaur sages to cast some bigger S magic.

If you want to drop the S, you can instead pick Titan of Heaven A4E4 which will net you an additional point of dominion and another scale. Your pretender lacks the achille's heel of S3, but also can't forge any S boosters. Neither can your nation. I'd probably go with the War&Wisdom chick because of that.

Or you can just read an up to date guide for LA Pan written by someone who actually rocks at this game:
http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=2057

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 30, 2014, 05:27:03 pm »

Well I think a good method for this case and until I get a basic idea of what the magic systems looks like is take shools your chasis has acess to and look up how much you need to craft various boosters and then look up if you can cast any spells with those that might be interesting.

-snip-
Well your reply cam up when I was about to post mine.
Dom4 Inspector claims that Pans aren't sacred, only the dryad is.

Thanks for those hints.
Oh and I've read the guide already it's pretty good (I know that person, he's currently in the same steam chat as me), but I'm trying to get a more basic and intuitive understanding of the whole magic system.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 30, 2014, 05:34:15 pm »

Well your reply cam up when I was about to post mine.
Dom4 Inspector claims that Pans aren't sacred, only the dryad is.

That is true. The shrouds I mentioned confer your bless effects to any commander wearing it, sacred or not. So any Pan with a shroud gets +2 precision +2 reinvigoration.

I feel that understanding of the magic system comes with experience. Don't really know any good ways to teach it.

edit: the shroud gives +2prec+2reinv only if you created your god with A4E4, of course.
The item is called "Shroud of the Battle Saint", is S1 (= 5 pearls) and requires construction-4 to forge.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 05:35:52 pm by Delta Foxtrot »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 236