Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Destruction of Raised Bridges  (Read 527 times)

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Destruction of Raised Bridges
« on: October 27, 2006, 07:58:00 pm »

I have a raised bridge which is acting as my front door in my current fort.

It works quite well.

Too well, in fact.    The invading trolls walked up to it, and just stood there.

As much as I like having an un-beatable door, they really should be able to break down the bridge.

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Destruction of Raised Bridges
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006, 09:14:00 pm »

Nooo!   No-no-no-no-no!  When so many people are already asking for indestructable doors for vaults etc, why would you ruin the one thing that works for that purpose?  If you feel bad about using it, you could always refrain from building door-bridges from anything but steel.

Squishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006, 10:11:00 pm »

Really?  I blocked some demons with a raised bridge, one time, and they knocked it down easily.

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 03:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Cerej:
<STRONG>Nooo!   No-no-no-no-no!  When so many people are already asking for indestructable doors for vaults etc, why would you ruin the one thing that works for that purpose?  If you feel bad about using it, you could always refrain from building door-bridges from anything but steel.</STRONG>

And as far as "everyone wants an indestructible door"...   It's not balanced gameplay.

Different materials should have differing toughness, and different things should be harder/easier to build and break.. (something Toady has on his list, I believe) but NOTHING should be indestructible (with maybe the exception of adamantium, since your game is on a limited timer once you get it).

Anything that cannot be "beaten", is unbalanced.  It's one of the basic rules of gameplay.

A "Fun" fortress is one you have to defend against invaders.

Not so much the one that you close the door and ignore the invaders.

Currently there are two "large door" options.   A draw-bridge, and a series of floodgates.    The bridge is flawed because it can't be broken.   The floodgates are flawed because they can't be replaced (since it leaves channels under them when they are destroyed).

[ October 29, 2006: Message edited by: Draxxalon ]