Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 737 738 [739] 740 741 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2209085 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Yes, yes it does. Jackborgs were intended as a war animal along with Pit Gorlaks and Battle Yaks (battle yaks saw action in a test for in an age past, and performed admirably.)

friendly golems would require some kind of interaction/syndrome thing or DFhack magic.

As would mech/battlesuits.
What about syndrome?
No seriously, though, you could perhaps...I want to say nestbox.
Make a reaction that produces trash golem slurry. 
Shove in box.
Save materials involved.
Time passes.
Invoke RNGesus for stats, limbs, etc.
Baby trash golem pops out.
Do you have to feed animals?  For all of this enthusiasm, I don't have much practical experience.  If yes, then they need the metal they're made of, to eat, whilst children, or you could make it pop an adult and need lots of mats.
...Aaand yes, animal tamer makes sense as a requisite skill...
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile

Well, it'd require using some kind of animal (a chicken for example,) and having the reaction produce a syndrome bearing cloud that turns the chicken into the golem.

And at present, only grazers need food (grass) unless they need specific grass (bamboo for example.)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Well, it'd require using some kind of animal (a chicken for example,) and having the reaction produce a syndrome bearing cloud that turns the chicken into the golem.

And at present, only grazers need food (grass) unless they need specific grass (bamboo for example.)
No, wait, maybe.
How do you get new birds/animals that, you know, lay eggs?
This is relevant.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Egg layers use nest boxes while in domestic care. They sit on the box for x amount of time, then chicks hatch. An equivalency would be a trash golem ploppin' in one spot (the box) with "nodes" or "buds" in the box resulting in more golems after x amount of time.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Egg layers use nest boxes while in domestic care. They sit on the box for x amount of time, then chicks hatch. An equivalency would be a trash golem ploppin' in one spot (the box) with "nodes" or "buds" in the box resulting in more golems after x amount of time.
So, no sticking eggs in boxes and letting them sit.
Grr.
...I'm going to assume that DF does not support entity-from-reaction.
Although...Does the breeder need to be the same as the breedee?
Dorfs tending to golem incubators...

E:No worky like that, unless you can manually place eggs in the box...

...Beekeeping.
YES.  THIS IS TOTALLY REASONABLE.
...Can you actually entity bees? 
...Foiled again.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 05:39:59 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Actually, does anyone know how the nestbox checks for incubation?  If we can jam that open, as was...
And "load" the nestbox via a reaction.
That would work.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 08:28:28 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Face it man, breeding golems won't work the way you want it to. It'd either be creating them via DFHack magic, syndrome-inducing reaction on a specified creature, "eggs," or reproducing by "budding" (standard breeding for most things.)

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile

You'd need to code a whole new breeding mechanic from scratch to get them working exactly how you want it to, Fish

And I don't know how good you are with C++ and its variants...

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

this finished? nyone have the last save?
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's here somewhere. Where exactly I can't say.

Also, gonna be PMing some people about a possible not-Spearbreakers related fort. Eyes peeled you lucky people.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!

this is totally off topic. mod cake in.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

@Lolfail:  Yup.
@Splint: "Eggs" being messing with incubation?
I suppose.  But there should be a material cost.  Is there a directly-moddable nestbox or is it hidden somewhere?  The golem nestbox should be destroyed to make the golem.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 10:02:58 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile

You'd need to code a whole new breeding mechanic from scratch to get them working exactly how you want it to, Fish

And I don't know how good you are with C++ and its variants...
Agreed. It's not quite possible with the nestboxes. :P

@Lolfail:  Yup.
@Splint: "Eggs" being messing with incubation?
I suppose.  But there should be a material cost.  Is there a directly-moddable nestbox or is it hidden somewhere?  The golem nestbox should be destroyed to make the golem.
Nestboxes are hardcoded tools, more or less - their function can't really be changed. Destroying the nestbox as part of a creature thing can't really work, unfortunately. :P I like the idea, but there's no real way to execute it.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile

Must...Locate...Code...When...Set...Up...Properly...Later...And...Figure...Out...How...

Must...Learn...C++...Quickly...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 10:13:53 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile

Must...Learn...C++...Quickly...

You can learn quickly, or you can learn C++
Pick one '^^
Pages: 1 ... 737 738 [739] 740 741 ... 815