Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

According to the newest research, what substance is best tasked with reinvorgorating a sleepy thread?

Powdered Sweet Pod
Crushed Mermaid Scale
Elven Bone Marrow
Flaked Adamantine
Ground Unicorn Horn

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 144

Author Topic: The Hastening of Doomforests  (Read 435437 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Hastening of Doomforests
« Reply #1320 on: August 19, 2015, 12:11:27 pm »

Winter 1063, in the main hall of Doomforests...

Very good, thank ye all, kind of ye to join me.  I have an announcement to make, and I'm sure you're all on the edges of your chairs with anticipation.  But before we go on to new business, let's have a moment of congratulations from each of ye to each other, for we have had a tremendous year.

I know, the tragedy of Shedim got the year off to a poor start.  Lots of dwarves died, loss of life, loss of riches, loss of food.  But hopefully we all learned something from that.  It's not enough to simply live well; we have to live strong.  I've given ye all a bit of my lip this year on what I think of the job your previous overseers got up to, let alone the cruel jape that Mate played namin' that halfwit as his successor (I see ye over there Mate, and don't think we didn't all know it afore)!

Since I stumbled out o' the woods, I've come to know each of ye.  All of ye are different, all have yer own curious ways and customs...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...but each of ye has something to offer to the fort.  And as of this year, it finally deserves the name "fort".  Let's review a bit, shall we?

In the last 6 months, we have established a proper hospital, with a fine golden well full of sweet water;

We've set up some proper forges and gotten back to dwarven basics, smelting metal, forging steel, and making some proper armor for our military:

We've cleared the trees back from the main gate, established a perimeter, paved most of the courtyard, and put together a space for the military to train proper, with scenic viewin' space above it;

Courtyard:

Mezzanine:

And in addition, we got this wonderful cage ye see here in the dining hall, courtesy of some unknown spirit... You folk and yer unholy spirits!

Funny thing, commemoratin' one giant snail when 'is brother is downstairs.  These spirits seem to have a pesky sense of humor, eh?

This doesn't even mention the little things, like finally getting the entrance hall walled and flagged with proper basalt blocks, setting up some gold statues at the entrance commemoratin' great deeds done by those who went before, settin' up a proper refuse pit instead of dumpin' the trash in the courtyard... the list goes on and on.  Indeed, it brings a tear to me eye that I've been able to help you on your path to greatness.

But now... the moment you've probably all been wondrin' about.  I called ye here tonight to tell ye, I've thought seriously about the succession.  I know ye are probably all tired of me, and with good reason... I've pushed ye hard.  No idle dwarves around these parts!  And so, after long deliberation, I have decided.  The next overseer of Doomforests will be....

*sips drink and looks around*

ME!  HAHA!  I'm takin' the hat for another full year, because watchin' you lard-assed faintin' violets all huff and puff your way around carrying things like proper dwarves puts a song in my heart and a spring in my step!  I don't know what kind of stinkin' hole you were all raised in, but this fortress is going to be a proper fortress, or my name ain't LONGSHANKS!  Now drink up, piggies, and back to work ye go!

Thank ye kindly, and good night.

OOC: That concludes the remainder of Mate's year, and begins my proper turn.  Let's see what else I can find to get up to  :)  As a point of interest, the number of idle dwarves for my last four months never went above 3... I really am a slave driver  :D
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 12:16:50 pm by Iamblichos »
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: August 19, 2015, 12:28:40 pm »

Its fun to see the hidden history peeking through the screenshots, little reminders of those emergency tunnels dug during supergoat's visit, or simply of how fucking many narrators I actually burned through in four months. Hi Xelius! We had a great month together! Glad to know your horrible, decapitation-induced death was immortalised for all the fort to see!

Oh the memories!

Great update btw.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: August 19, 2015, 02:14:17 pm »

I would really like another term, maybe finish an entire year this time.
Although, to be fair, I did more than half of the previous year and a bit of mine, so that counts as a whole, doesn't it?
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: August 19, 2015, 04:18:41 pm »

Spring 1064, Mayor's Office

Complain?  No, actually... I came for a bit of a chat.  Maybe some advice.  No complainin', though.  Before we start, though, we need to talk about these mandates you keep handin' down.  Now Pencil_Art, I know you have an unhealthy fixation with certain... things.  We won't dig too deeply into that, right?  I've seen the marks on those ballista arrows, and no matter how many mandates you make about them, people are going to be talking.  Mind how you go, is all I'm saying.

Do you know what Taupe3 said to me this afternoon?  She said it was DULL.  DULL!!  We built a new trade depot out of platinum bars, we built a statue garden, we finished paving the area around the fort to create a no-grow zone for the damned trees... what's dull about that?  Beats gettin' your face gnawed off by some giant gnarly snail!

As if that wasn't enough... Some of the dwarves are whispering about how much better they had it down below.  Oh, no need to look so shocked!  I have ears, and they even work!  I know what gets talked about... I know what names they call me too, but that's well and fine as long as they work.  Too much laying about is what made everyone fat and vulnerable to attacks.  Even old Frankensteen has shed some fat with all the running around carrying blocks and such.

Oh... the siege operator finished his weapon... he claims he's now a master weaponsmith, and Olnen alone knows we need one.

What's that?  Oh, the vomit.  Yes, I know.  Never seen anything for puking like these Doomforest dwarves.  Most places, even the deepest-down smith up blinking from the bottom of the magma pipe will stop blowing chunder after a few weeks, but not this lot!  You'd think they would waste away with the uncounted gallons of spew they trail everywhere.  Can't imagine where they keep it all!  This lot are worse than cats, leave a trail of sick wherever they go.  At least cats don't throw away used clothes for other people to trip over.

Yes, I know.  And yes, they do have a point.  I know everyone thinks I'm unreasonable, but the truth is, I'm a little wary of this place, especially the deeps.  Too much truly strange shit has happened here.  Things ain't normal in this place!  This business of constantly getting possessed by the spirits of the angry dead demanding artifacts is creepy enough, but all the stories of necromancers and mechanical crundles and such... Faugh!  No sane dwarf ever messed with such things.

Well... the rub of it is, yes, we could.  I have found a safe-ish way to go back down.  I snuck down and scouted a bit... don't look at me like that, I know how to seal a door!  Shedim is in the level with the walled up goblin, in the bedrooms outside the big guardpost on the 33rd deep... thing has built a nest for itself in among a pile of corpses and trash.  It seemed almost asleep, or dormant, or something as I peeked in... I hauled ass just in case, but I managed to get the hatches which give access to that level sealed.  There doesn't seem to be any reason we couldn't reopen the Long Stair and go back down, we could even sink a secondary shaft to get to the farms if we walled the doors in.  I just... I don't know.  Too many of these overseers just punched holes everywhere... I've never seen such a rat's nest of passages that go nowhere and remnants of failed projects.  It's like one of the old dwarf tales about Boatmurdered or Battlefailed.... I feel like Queen Led is going to come around the corner down there, I swear.  I worry that if we do that, either Shedim or whatever the thing is down there that makes that awful roaring noise will find a hole and that will be it for the lot of us.

I guess my question to you is... do you think it's worth it?

Well, maybe you're right.  I like you, Pencil_Art.  You're a good dwarf.  Just stay away from the siege workshop, will ye?

OOC: Behold Drazoth, third of that name:

« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 04:37:27 pm by Iamblichos »
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: August 19, 2015, 05:10:30 pm »

Wait... You mean Pencil_Art was not making phallus-like bolts to repel invaders?
Well... I guess it makes more sense. Although if I was a goblin and I saw a dwarven ballista shooting ginormous wooden dildos at me, I would run the hell away from that fortress.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: August 19, 2015, 07:28:41 pm »

Wait... You mean Pencil_Art was not making phallus-like bolts to repel invaders?
Well... I guess it makes more sense. Although if I was a goblin and I saw a dwarven ballista shooting ginormous wooden dildos at me, I would run the hell away from that fortress.
Well they sort of already are, honestly...

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: August 20, 2015, 09:13:41 am »

Yes and Pencil_Art is freakin' OBSESSED.  Make more, don't sell them, don't sell them, don't even think about selling them, and make more.  More ballista arrows.  More more more.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: August 20, 2015, 10:31:18 am »

Well they sort of already are, honestly...
If you knew what went on in there, would you be trying to break down the doors and get in?

What about the shit you might let get out in the process?

'Oi, Bosa, get over here and bash your trollhead against this door. Sounds like they might have some snails in there.'
"Me likem escargot."
'So do I, now start bashing!'

*shortly afterwards*
'OH GOD I'M BEING EATEN BY A SNAIL, WHAT AN UNEXPECTED AND SORT OF IRONIC TWIST!'
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 10:35:24 am by Max™ »

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: August 20, 2015, 10:53:33 am »

Yes and Pencil_Art is freakin' OBSESSED.  Make more, don't sell them, don't sell them, don't even think about selling them, and make more.  More ballista arrows.  More more more.

Clearly, the answer is simple.

1. Make ballistas - ballistae? - .
2. Point at giant snail.
3. ???
4. Profit!

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: August 20, 2015, 12:20:38 pm »

OOC: LOL... it would web the ballista from the other end of the map.  This thing has an INSANE range on webbing.  That's one of the reasons I'm so afraid of opening anything below the 3d deep again.  If it can see you, it's got you.  Not to mention, all the hallways were apparently designed to look like epileptic snakes; nothing goes directly anywhere.

OK.  I have a question.  If my last turn on this game was 1060, how is it that there were so many overseers in the interim, but yet I come back for the end of Mate's turn which was 1063?  Did we lose a big chunk of time in there, or what?  I'm so confused.   :o
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 12:27:15 pm by Iamblichos »

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: August 20, 2015, 01:08:05 pm »

OOC: LOL... it would web the ballista from the other end of the map.  This thing has an INSANE range on webbing.  That's one of the reasons I'm so afraid of opening anything below the 3d deep again.  If it can see you, it's got you.  Not to mention, all the hallways were apparently designed to look like epileptic snakes; nothing goes directly anywhere.

OK.  I have a question.  If my last turn on this game was 1060, how is it that there were so many overseers in the interim, but yet I come back for the end of Mate's turn which was 1063?  Did we lose a big chunk of time in there, or what?  I'm so confused.   :o
The calendar was built by the architect.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: August 20, 2015, 02:51:34 pm »

OH GOD I'M BEING EATEN BY A SNAIL, WHAT AN UNEXPECTED AND SORT OF IRONIC TWIST!
I'll sig that.
Also, that phrase is now on the quote page on the wiki.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: August 20, 2015, 03:03:37 pm »

Well, I for one only oversaw for one in-game month. I believe other people have complained of similar problems (extreme lag, the inability to get anything done, etc.)

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: August 20, 2015, 03:17:20 pm »

Well, I for one only oversaw for one in-game month. I believe other people have complained of similar problems (extreme lag, the inability to get anything done, etc.)
it's only slow when the dwarves arent dying. We just need to optimize traffic, shit lying around, and the logistics of the fort as a whole to improve the fps, instead of, well, adding more forts.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #1334 on: August 20, 2015, 05:03:13 pm »

to improve fps easily, do two things: first, ingame, set al the hallways to high trafiic, other rooms low and dead-end/empty ones restricted

secondly, open of taskmanager ()Ctrl+Alt+Delete) right click on process tab and righ tclick DWarfFoprtress.exe and there will be priority option change it to above normal.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 144