Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 48

Author Topic: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress & Adventure [DF 0.47.05]  (Read 68411 times)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress (Succession Game)
« Reply #300 on: November 26, 2022, 09:04:49 pm »

Part IV:
Ambitions and Aspirations

10th of Galena, 368

The birds went silent on the north hill. An eerie silence enveloped the forest. There was something amiss.

Then: a thudding and crashing grew louder and louder.

Waterlures faced once again the threat of giantkind when a hulking monstrosity arrived from the northeast, striding swiftly down the hill towards the Hill Gate.

Warning spread swiftly across the village and civilians rushed to the safety of the homes and attices, while the Fenced Princes and the Rough Trances hurried to face the giant.

But the giant reached the Hill Gate before the militia arrived.

A stray nanny goat, who had escaped from the pen, was unlucky enough to be the first in the giant's path. It felt immediately the rage of the giant as it began hacking the poor goat with a bismuth bronze battle axe.

Cañar was rushing down the platform crossing the lake, Nethlîlar Emlïd in hand, ready to bear on the monster alone. He was terrified in the moment, but his sense of duty and adrenaline coursing through his veins pushed him onwards.

The elephant man leapt down from the platform -- taking the stairs would take too much time -- yelling at the giant!

The giant, however, tried to outsmart Cañar by climbing the side of the platform and head straight for the village center.

It was a wise move from the giant.

The giant made its way up, continuing to climb onto the roof of the inn, arrows whizzing past him.

Then it jumped down back onto the platform...

...Heading straight towards the widower Cusal and eight year old Adil!

“I will take revenge on you if you harm a single hair on that child, foul beast of wickedness!”, Cusal raged at the giant as he nocked another arrow (unfortunately his quiver was full of feather wood arrows at the moment).

It was enough to draw the attention and ire of the giant away from Adil.

Cusal dodged blow after blow, distracting the giant with his nimble moves, buying time for the Mestthosite monks and other militia members to enter the fray.

Vabôk was the first to arrive to aid Cusal, giving a hefty blow to the giant with his strong fists.

A punch, then a dodge. It was how the dwarf monk danced around and around the giant, drawing it away from Cusal who wasn't so skilled in close combat.

However, Vabôk was too confident of his skills and was caught offguard by the giant and it knocked him over, slapping the dwarf with the flat of his axe. It was enough to slow and daze the dwarf.

Were it not for 'Lil Baron' Oddom wielding Kilrudsat -- the trusty hammer of late 'Avo' -- the monk might well have ended as a smear on the platform. Kilrudsat struck true and the giant was disarmed.

And that was enough for the rest to reach the fight.

Soon it was clear that the giant was fighting a losing battle. He was battered and bruised, pummeled by fist and hammer, shredded by tooth and arrow, until he fell down, retching and vomiting all over the place.

It was Asmel, the hoary marmot woman monk, who landed the killing blow.

The giant was dead.

And with the giant's death, Waterlures procured a new artifact:

Boshut Bâsen, 'The Alliance of Sprays', a bismuth bronze battle axe with a coating of goat blood.

25th of Limestone, 368

Kib Owlroughness was in her mother's and father's room. She looked at the empty bed, which his father Cusal had left unmade in the morning. She sighed, grabbed the sheets and began putting the bed in proper order.

“Mom, today is my birthday. I am twelve now,” Kib said aloud as she fluffed the pillow. “I wish you were here for this day. To see me become an adult. But you left us. Maybe you are in the skies with Ôsed, watching over us, but I need you here. I don't want to spend this day with the others. I want to spend it with you.”

She looked at the rather unremarkable engravings on the wall: images of fonio plants, rose cut gems and capybaras. Nothing special, but mother had liked them.

“You once said 'In life, you should work hard. Then work harder.' I agree with it. You were right. But I don't know if I have it what it takes... I-I don't know if I can do it...” She stopped mumbling to herself, looking around the room if there was any cleaning needed to be done.

'It's a shame that brother didn't become mayor. It would have been only right if our family kept leading this community...', she thought. 'Mom would want us to be in charge. But if my brothers can't manage it, certainly I can't either... But I must try.'

“Mom. I'll do my best. I'll become the mayor.”

8th of Sandstone, 368

Deler Slidbusts, the son of Kib and Edu, was up in the attic of the warehouse above the Fruit of Letters. This day marked his twelfth birthday and he, too, was now considered a grown-up. He had been assigned to work the quern at Vabôk's Dyery, since Rin had been complaining that he can man only one mill at a time and there was so much to mill. So, the new manager, Oddom Rackknight, had given him a job that he had to do, whether he liked it or not.

'It is important to discover oneself,' Deler thought as he was putting his toys away into a bin. He was unsure of what he wanted to do with his life, but he had ambitions. First he wanted to have a family of his own, be like mother and father, of course. But he aspired for something more, and honest work only got one so far -- mother and father were living proof of that! Living in a drafty hovel on stilts above the lake, cleaning fish and cooking meals.

Sure, it was important work, but Deler didn't want to spend the rest of his life wasting away as one of the poorer folk of Waterlures. And if -- when -- he had a family, he certainly would want only the best for them.

Vabôk looked up from his dyeing basin as the young capybara man Etur Laborworth walked up.

“Life is in a word, fortresses,“ Etur greeted the dwarf in a proper Mestthosite manner. “Indeed, young one. What is on your mind? Speak freely,” Vabôk stood up, straightening himself. He was tall for a dwarf and an imposing sight with his incredibly muscular body. Etur eyed the dwarf from head to toe before speaking.

“I wish to join the Rough Trances. Join the monks of Mestthos. Become one you. Fight furiously with my fists,” he said excitedly, waving and punching his fists in the air, trying to imitate the fighting style of the monks.

Vabôk let the sheep wool cloth he was holding sink into the basin, wiped his stained hands on his coat, and in turn eyed the boy from head to toe, as if evaluating him.

“So that is your wish, little one?”, the dwarf raised his brow, “I believe you have turned twelve then, no?”

Deler nodded.

“Well then... We could always use a pair of new fists. Ones that are dedicated to Mestthos,” he paused, noticed the gleaming in Deler's eyes and continued, “But it will be rough. I will not be easy on you. I will put you to work hard. And harder. Make you strong. One of us.”

20th of Sandstone, 368

It was some time since there had been births in Waterlures, but that was changed when Fikod Livingglazes, wife of Kogan Girderreigned, gave birth to a baby girl. It was her first child, and she brought the little one into the Enchanted Dimensions at the young age of seventeen. She felt adoration and was full of bliss.

“Oh, aren't you pretty! I think I will call you Thob... Thob Helmlabored!” She smiled at the baby who was crying and stretching out her little paws. “You know, Thob, I bet my father -- your grandfather -- will be pleased.”

And indeed, 'Zultan' was pleased.

He was the first in Waterlures to become a grandparent.

From the journal of Mayor Likot Languagehame
28th of Granite, 368

“Finally we have had time to rest and have proper festivities here at the Fruit of Letters!

The year is drawing to a close, and oh what a year it has been! It had a rough start, certainly, when we lost three community members who had lived here since the beginning, seeing Waterlures grow from a tiny hamlet into a thriving village. Management has changed now, and it is functioning ever the better by the day.”

“While generally things have been calm and good after the close-call with the giant, one of the monks, Eman the elephant man, has been in a bad mood. Not that he has ever been pleasant company -- he's quite the unlikable fellow, if I may say so, and why shouldn't I? But now, now I can notice there is something bothering him. Fortunately Rin has been talking with him. I'm not sure if I could manage it. Mayhaps the time off helped him somewhat? I would at least hope so.”

“The scholarly types did not end their constant ramblings and discussions of various topics, which are far beyond my understanding, during the Festival. It is good that they concentrate on what they deem important.”

“What disappoints me, though, is that the Enchanted Bridge has not attracted many visitors. There were a few -- how would you say it? -- unscrupulous types, but apparently they had no ill intentions. A good reminder that one must not judge others by their looks and manners!

Well, perhaps next year will bring more folk when the word spreads with the caravans...

And yes, we may have lost three members, but we gained two new ones: Fikod's and Kogan's child and one more was born to the large, large family of Edu and Kib. It is good to know that the Rabbit is still blessing us. And maybe there will be more families soon.

It has come to my attention that my little brother Cerol has an affair with Inod, one of Kib's and Edu's daughters! I would have never guessed! I do hope things work out for them and I get to arrange their wedding. But they are not the only ones who have found love: my little sister Ònul, who just turned twelve (and wanted to be a bard in our new, empty inn), has taken a liking of Deler -- Kib's and Edu's son, also twelve! Ah, I can see our families getting closer in the future.

Yes, things are looking bright and I am looking forward for next year. I believe we will finally finish the quartzite roads all the way to the outskirts of our lands. And then, then we will begin work on the temple dedicated to Ôsed -- something Baroness Kasat had to delay and delay due to other more pressing matters.

I will see to it that Kasat's dreams come to fruition.”

=====

Came out quite long, sorry for that!

Wanted to squeeze the rest of the year in one report and, well, there was quite a lot of stuff happening during summer.

Going to continue tomorrow, but after that I might spend a day or two on other projects (though, knowing myself, I'll probably continue and postpone other stuff).

(Edit. I had accidentally thought that Kasat was Likot's mother when she was not, so fixed that from the last journal entry. There might be some other places where I've made the same mistake.)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 26, 2022, 11:34:31 pm »

is that not the second giant attack? did you happen to settle on Paradis Island. . . ?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

exciting fighting. always a bit of an anxious moment when your dwarves capys start fist-fighting megabeasts

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 26, 2022, 11:48:27 pm »

Haven't kept count, but I think that was the third giant? Then we've had two (or more?) ettins during AvolitionBrit's turn, plus maybe two or three cyclopes. So, quite a number of giant-kind. I do always add a huge number of semi-mega and megabeasts to worlds, but I'd imagine that at this rate they'll go extinct.

I'm actually really enjoying the unarmed (and unarmored) squad. Giants are usually ridiculously easy (unless they come early on) and DF military skills rising so fast makes them ever the easier, so this way there's at least some kind of risk of your citizens dying... But then again, we have elephant men whose fists are certainly no joke (I mean, if a hoary marmot person can bash in a giant's skull, I don't want to know what elephant people can do...).

(I definitely want to at some point try out a fort with only fist-fighting "monks". The elephant man monks were a great idea, AvolitionBrit!)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 27, 2022, 05:42:37 am »

Huzza my guy is first grandpa!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 27, 2022, 08:39:33 am »

Nice write up could you put the giants corpse on the display room please if not done so already.

Were they natural births or command births?

I believe up to my turn we have had 2 Cyclops, 2 Giants and 2 Ettins. So this is the 3rd giant. It seems the big folk are throwing themselves at our small community trying to be the one to avenge their fallen commrades. When I'm back next week I'm gonna dig through legends as I'm curious if we have had any family members of previous big folk coming to attack us
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 27, 2022, 09:40:13 am »

Yeah, I'm putting the giant on display. Forgot to do that yesterday, so good reminder. (I've also put the werebeast corpses on display too.)

The births were natural. Haven't done forced ones. The "Winter Festival" burrow seems to be quite effective in giving the capies a shove to make some babies.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 27, 2022, 08:48:45 pm »

Part V:
Scholars and Affairs

From the journal of Ïteb Workgray, Apprentice Scholar
2nd of Granite, 369

“It saddens me that Master Tekkud Stardust is truly dead.

He was a great capybara man, an excellent teacher and master, but also a trustworthy friend. Always so kind and understanding to me, teaching how Truth was the most important thing and something we should strive for, no matter what. There was so much he taught me, so much more he could have taught me still. Alas, now I am on my own.

For now he is gone, off to the Realm of Ôsed he flew. May his star shine ever the brighter in the skies.”

After losing one more community member to the Ravages of Time and Abod, the marriage of the young Deler and Ònul sparked hope for the future.

'Zultan' was bringing a yak back into the animal pen after its wool had been shorn for yarn. It was a typical rainy spring day. Except that there was somebody -- or something -- in the pen who shouldn't be there: an elf. And she was not one of the traders who were currently at the trading pavilion haggling with the new broker, Atír, Zultan's son.

No, this silver-haired, pale brown skinned lady wasn't garbed in typical Múya Loré attire, nor did she seem as lively as the ones at the depot. In fact, she didn't look lively at all: she had a blank, emotionless stare as she stood amidst the yaks and sheep. 'Zultan' felt uneasy, nodded his head cautiosly as a greeting so as to be polite and proper. Yet the elf did not react.

It was troubling, but she seemed harmless.

'Perhaps she is just observing the behaviour of the livestock,' Zultan thought to himself as he patted the yak on its back. 'Elves are a mysterious lot. Even that Fayoba fellow -- it is hard to understand his thoughts. Why bother oneself with the so-called Nature? Would be just for the better if none of this miserable wet greenery existed...'

But the elf certainly wasn't harmless.

No, after 'Zultan' left the pen, the elf snuck into the barracks and ran into Edu. Immediately she revealed her true intentions as she lunged towards the spearmaster.

Edu's reflexes were quick despite his old age, and he dodged easily. Without hesitation he kicked the elf -- the plague thrall -- in her right hand, smashing it into an unrecognizable mass.

The fight was on.

Hitting with fist, paw and crutch, Edu fought against the surprisingly -- no, unbelievably -- strong elf. Yet his old trusty crutch was quite fragile and it broke, causing the capybara man to fall down. But even then, the elf had no chance against him as Edu deftly rolled away from each and every attack, whacking the elf in return.

But even a spear through the head did not stop the elf.

No, this was no natural foe. This was an abomination. A product of the Prince of Duty's treachery -- a foul being of Undeath!

Hearing the yelling and scuffling from the floor below, Cañar rushed to the stairs, hammer ready and Kumil following.

And the elephant man did not hesitate to bash the vile elf from whose assaults Edu kept dodging on the floor.

It took the full might of the trio to finally put down the elf plague thrall: an unimaginably powerful foe unlike any they had ever faced.

This was very troubling, indeed.

18th of Felsite, 369

Åblel Sprinklegorges, the son of late Kasat and Cusal, smiled. He was enraptured and full of love as he listened intently to the daughter of Zultan and Ilral. He had no idea what she was talking about: he was more concentrated on the beauty of the young woman with a muscular and fit body, not the 'macabre ways of backward creatures' -- what-ever such beings even were (or if such things could possibly exist)!

The two had been spending some time off in the hut next to the sculpture garden atop the hill. It was a pleasing place, away from the bustle of the village. A place where it was good to get to know others from the community -- and to fall in love.

5th of Galena, 369

Etur was with the monks in the barracks. He watched as Unib and Asmel sparred, but he didn't pay much attention. His thoughts were somewhere else. He felt good, a slight buzz going on in his head to the drinks he had before coming for the training session. But without it, the sparring and training would be boring to watch. It hadn't turned out to be like he expected: he had practically not been on the sparring floor and spent most of the time just observing. Not that he wouldn't want to spar, but Vabôk wouldn't let him. It was irritating. It took so much time. So much time away from other matters. Time that could have been spent worshiping Mestthos -- the monks should know that!

“And you want to stay and study in Waterlures?”, Likot said as she looked out the window overlooking the lake.

The incredibly skinny dwarf stroked his neatly combed long moustache, replying in a calm, but confident tone, “Indeed madame mayor. That I would very much like. I have heard many a tale of your glorious village and its true treasures: the vast library in the House of Knowledge.”

Likot turned to face the dwarf. She was excited that finally visitors had been arriving. Perhaps she had hoped for bards and travelers with tales and epics to tell, but scholars were welcome too, of course. It was just a shame that Tekkud hadn't lived to witness this day.

“Well, as mayor and voice of the people of Waterlures, I welcome you to stay. Please, make yourself at home: there are rooms at the Hut of Romancing and several vacant cells beneath the library. I will see to it that either Ïteb or Olon -- both scholars -- show you around the place.”

The dwarf looked enthusiastic, bowed slightly, and thanked Likot, “Thank you madame. I will see to it that the art of truth-seeking continues to blossom in this part of our glorious realm.”

=====

So, yet another death due to old age. Can't remember ever having a "fort" with so many peaceful deaths. I guess it's some kind of accomplishment (though to be fair, capies live half the time dwarves do).

I mostly concentrated on trying to pair the young ones. So far there's several love affairs and two marriages (including the couple who got married during Avolition's turn). Got only to early autumn and the caravan's arrival. Was a bit slow-going since I kept checking how my pairing attempts fare. it was interesting to see how 'passing aquaintance' shifted to 'friend' and finally to 'kindred spirit', which then went to 'lover' if the capies were fit for each other. But I think most of the ones who are now lovers won't necessarily progress to marriage. We'll see.

Also, finished the quartzite roads (finally!), though they really don't have much function. Next up is the temple to Ôsed, unless something unexpected happens.

Spoiler: actual spoiler (click to show/hide)

Other than that? Probably going to get some more petitions soon. I think there was some visitor listed with 'attend meeting' when I saved.

Oh, and the yearly save is here, if someone wants to check Legends or the village in general:

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16170

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 28, 2022, 10:27:14 pm »

Part VI:
Odd Fellows and Foul Play

21st of Limestone, 369

“Atír has managed his duties as our head trader very well. I am pleased with him: each time the merchants have come over, they have left very enthusiastic and awaiting for the next year's trade. Of course, he is not yet reached the level of Baroness Kasat's skill, but given time, I believe he might even surpass her as a trader.”

“I met with the outpost liaison Tirist, just after I had accepted another petition from another visitor to stay at Waterlures (a dwarf bard named Zuglar Standardhame). We made new trade agreements and, as was typical of my predecessor, I ordered more stone of various colors and some lumber. I hope it will keep Yawo content when trees are left standing in our lands.

Tirist brought some news from the larger world. It appears that word of the House of Knowledge has spread all the way to the Mountainhome! No wonder there have been dwarven scholars coming to Waterlures in increasing numbers. It was pleasing to hear.

But all news was not good, no.

The forest retreat of Fanciedforded, not a long way to the west from here, had faced troubles. The hordes of the Cunning Witch had attacked them and many have fled, seeking refuge from elsewhere. While Fanciedforded is part of the Bent Spears and not our realm, it is next to Morningwilt, which we have dealings with -- not to mention that Edu's son, Lòr, lives there!

I do hope war will never reach Waterlures.”

7th of Sandstone, 369

A rather strange fellow arrived in Waterlures: a gremlin.

He headed to the House of Knowledge and a study there, where he went to listen to the musings of a visiting geographer rambling about embriological development.

12th of Sandstone, 369

“An odd one came to Waterlures. I was surprised to see this small, skinny humanoid waltz to me at the Fruit of Letters as I was grabbing a drink. He had a wide, toothy grin, skin as green as a goblin's and large splayed out ears. I had to look down upon him -- he barely reached my waist -- as he greeted me, asking to have a talk since I am the mayor.

Naturally, I was surprised of this creature -- who turned out to be a gremlin! -- and led him to my office. You can imagine that I was ever the more surprised when he said that he is a sage and very much yearns to stay at Waterlures to study!

I, of course, accepted his petition: how could one possibly refuse such a small and adorable fellow?”

However, little did Likot know that the gremlin worshipped Bazsa the Sinful: a deity of Death and Murder.

And she did not even know that Eman, the elephant man monk, had a shrine dedicated to Bazsa in his messy home. An unholy shrine where he and his companion Song prayed to their dark god...

22nd of Sandstone, 369

Fayoba was on his way to fish, making his way through Edu's Fishery when Meng the Pilgrim came running to him, panting and with an alarmed look on his face.

“Sebïr... Sebïr Vukcas... The Hide of Crescents is missing from its proper place!”, the capybara man blurted out, stopping to catch his breath before continuing, “I was there, I went there. To the vaults, with Libash and Rin to fetch the axes... The pedestal... The pedestal! It was empty! Gone!”

The elf sheriff was uneasy upon hearing it. What madness was this? Waterlures was a peaceful place. A place without crime. Had wrongdoings entered this village? How? Why?

“The old animal trap? From the vaults? Tell me more,” Fayoba said with a surprisingly calm and soothing voice.

“There is nothing more! It is gone! Away!”, the pilgrim exclaimed, “I'm very worried! I must pray to Ôsed!”

It seemed that foul play had reached the serenity of Waterlures and disrupted the peace.

27th of Sandstone, 369

Fayoba was with Yawo at the fishing pier. He pulled a fish from the lake, and smiled as he turned to address the elderly mandrill woman, “Look! A rainbow trout! This'll make a fine meal in the hands of Kib or Edu.”

“Hmpf. I say it's the doings of the spirits,” Yawo grumbled, lost in thought.

“What? The fish? The meal?”

“NO. Not the fish or the meal,” the mandrill woman snapped, turning to look at the elf with a dour expression on her face, “The missing animal trap, of course! Why would the spirits be interested in giving you fish?”

“Ah, I should've guessed as much,” Fayoba chuckled. “No, but seriously. I don't believe it is the work of the spirits... And... I don't think you do either.”

“Hmpf. You're right on that,” Yawo replied, “I say it was very stupid of the young ones to open our doors. All manner of folk coming and going. Nobody asking questions. Unnatural folk even! Allowed to walk freely! Never listening to the elders!”

“Well, you can hardly blame them, or more precisely Likot, for it,” Fayoba sighed, “There's been talk of opening the inn since most of them were but little toddlers. All their life they have waited for us to open up... I do, quite frankly, wish this were the work of your 'angry spirits'. It would be a shame if it were one of our visitors...”

Fayoba stood up, stretched his arms and breathed the autumn air in, “In any case, Likot has tasked me to look into the matter. But I feel there is no need to rush. Whoever is the culprit must be long gone by now.”

15th of Timber, 369

Waterlures grew not only with visitors petitioning to stay, but with old Kib giving birth once more.

And not but a couple of days later Fikod gave birth to a girl.

The births continued when Ònul gave birth to a baby boy on the 2nd of Sandstone, just as winter had arrived. The boy was her and Deler Slidbust's first child -- the youngest couple in Waterlures.

Just before the Winter Festival of the year 369, on the 11th of Moonstone, Olon Seerlances the young scholar and Atír Archsinged the broker announced their marriage.

It was a well-needed distraction from the mysterious disappearance of Sebïr Vukcas from the vaults.

And so the festivities commenced once again in the Fruit of Letters -- now more crowded than ever.

While the capybaras -- even the young ones -- were accustomed to dwarfs, it was still odd to have such a large number of the bearded ones now in the village.

The stores and wealth of Waterlures were abundant in the end of the year 369.

And the population was growing with everyone in high spirits.

The next year was waited with mixed feelings of excitement and uneasiness: would there be more marriages, would the elderly manage to keep the Prince at bay, and would the mysterious disappearance of the animal trap be solved?

=====

Got to post the report a bit late due to having to do other stuff (it's five in the morning here, heh -- damn, my day rhythm is messed up).

I'm still mostly concentrating on trying to pair the young capies. I'm pretty sure there's at least two pairs that'll never go beyond 'lover' status. Not a big thing as there's still plenty who are most likely eligible to marry someone.

Also, I believe Waterlures turns 45 years old with year 370. So, almost at fifty. I'll probably continue my turn until that, unless something unexpected happens.

Spoiler: actual spoiler stuff (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 29, 2022, 05:06:25 am »

An artifact was stolen, it was inevitable.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 29, 2022, 10:04:15 am »

An artifact was stolen, it was inevitable.

I could've prevented this by keeping the vaults locked, but I decided not to do it, since I couldn't think of a reason why the capies would've done it.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 29, 2022, 06:07:43 pm »

there is something to be said about the majority colors in the units list. blue, brown, and purple - fisherdwarfs, crafters, farmers and writers, a very peaceful community with little waste or consumption, focused more on the intellectual side of life.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 29, 2022, 07:38:59 pm »

Yeah, despite many of the citizens having some basic wrestling training (mostly due to fill their martial prowess needs), there is very little effort put into military matters. And hopefully it'll remain that way, though we're nearing the eighty citizen siege trigger threshold quite rapidly...

I've actually noticed that most of my forts in the past couple of years have concentrated mostly on farming, fishing and clothing. It feels like a more relaxing approach (also probably more "realistic", since communities rarely focus solely on fighting skills), and once you start to get uninvited guests and sieges the threat feels more real and deadly.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 29, 2022, 08:59:30 pm »

Part VII:
The Crows Return

1st of Granite, 370

The year began with sad events: both Shebi the badger woman and the mandrill woman witch-doctor Yawo passed away.

While Shebi might not have been a visible member of the community, sticking much to herself, she had been a valuable one nevertheless.

And while there were only a few who could've thought of Yawo as a friend, and her constant argueing and bickering wasn't appreciated, the loss of the old mandrill woman was a great one. It was her remarks and warnings that had kept the community from doing any rash decisions.

From the journal of Fayoba Claspedleap, Sheriff of Waterlures
27th of Felsite, 370

“I have met with Meng, Rin and Libash now, asking if they knew anything more on the disappearrance of the Hide of Crescents. As expected, they didn't have much to add, but Rin offered help and said he could be an 'assistant sheriff' if I needed one. Well, the offer is tempting, but it really is not up to me. I will consult Likot on the matter.

I was at a loss how to progress with this 'investigation', and was about to head off to Likot to tell that this mystery shall remain unsolved, but then one of the visitors came scurrying to me -- I believe Mimale was his name? -- with troubling news.

He had witnessed one of our new resident bards, a certain dwarf named Zefon Syrupcurl, pocket Brimrabbit the Fin of Mouths, a lay pewter goblet from the inn. I believe it was Odda's gift for Waterlures when she first arrived. I find it rather silly if a normal goblet with a funny name being 'stolen' causes a commotion (and on another note: why anyone would bother to steal it). I'll have to ask Odda what she says. It could be that Zefon wanted only a keepsake for herself.

But, I have the feeling that mayor Likot will want me to dig deeper into the matter. It might reveal new information on the missing animal trap.”

Fayoba learned not much after interrogating Zefon. A goblin who had been visiting Waterlures had threatened the dwarf and managed to get her to steal the goblet. This Salore Wordpristine -- if that even was the goblin's real name -- had already left the village, so recovering the goblet would be quite the effort.

And seeing the distress on Zefon's face, Fayoba felt pity for the dwarf who wouldn't have turned to thievery without being threatened, decided to remain silent on the matter.

At least for now.

Summer had just arrived and the elephant man monk Eman Crowglee was working at one of the crafting shops. His skills in carving bone had been growing by the week. He looked at the masterfully made yak bone ring he had just finished when he felt an odd tingling sensation.

He was struck by a fey mood. The spirit of the Lakes of Saturnity had possessed a denizen of Waterlures once again!

It was something that had not happened for some time.

25th of Hematite, 370

“One more scholar: Istro Dangerstirred.

I accepted her petition, though I've lately been refusing the petitions of traveling groups of bards and other performers. It's not that I wouldn't want them around, it's that we have limited space, and there has been grumbling among some of the citizens (who I will not name here) ever since the disappearrance of Sebïr Vukcas and the theft of Odda's goblet.

I've been feeling a bit uneasy lately. There is so much work to be done as a mayor! And I have other duties, too! Not to mention my own needs. Ah, sometimes I wonder how Kasat managed to do this all and even more during her time. I must say my respect for her has grown during my time as mayor. But I guess I'm doing a good job, since time and again the others want me to continue.

Well, at least work on the grand temple dedicated to the Rabbit is progressing. I hope that in a year or two it will completed. It will certainly please Ïteb the Prophet.

And I am very satisfied of my office. I wonder why Kasat never moved here? This is a much more pleasing setting to conduct meetings than the dank, dark halls in the rock.

In any case, that is all for now. I have other duties to attend to. One of them being having a talk with Fayoba: he has been awfully slow in making progress with his investigations on the strange things happening lately.”

After working for several days and more, Eman finished his masterpiece: Ocgiolith, Guardeddagger, a goose bone armor stand!

He offered it to the citizens of Waterlures, who accepted the gift. It would make a fine addition to the barracks.

It was not only scholars and performers who had heard of Waterlures.

Utag Groovefurnace, an elderly human in his early seventies, wished to help keep the monsters of the wilds at bay. It is something that the Fenced Princes, Turquoise Veils and Rough Trances could handle on their own, but Likot, as mayor, felt that a pair of extra hands would not be a bad thing.

23rd of Malachite, 370

It had been some time since the crow men of the wilds were seen. Some had wondered where had they gone.

Now, they had returned: a flock of five was counted soaring high above the rooftops of Waterlures.

Cusal was heading to Edu's Fishery to clean fish, but he had stopped at the corner of Vabôk's Dyery to look to the skies: the crow men had been seen flying over and across the village once or twice a day for some time now.

He hoped to catch a glimpse of them when a skinny woman, a human with medium-length, neatly combed white hair walked to the capybara man. Cusal hadn't seen this one before and the odd crown made from the teeth of animal -- possibly a dog -- she wore atop her brow caught his attention.

“Thus spoketh Quenir Stabbeaches the Gate of Lashes: 'Once the patterns are doomed, and cruelty crumpled to dust, then shall the faithful of Moistenedattack be rewarded, and thus, I shall be pleased,'” the woman said to Cusal, before turning away to continue her away.

However, the words did not confuse Cusal and he began asking questions from the woman, ending up in an arguement. The woman, who introduced herself as Kemus Martyrobeys and a prophet, was irritated by Cusal countering her ramblings with the teachings of Ôsed, which greatly offended the human.

And she left, strutting down the platform, her nose turned up.

Cusal was pleased.

6th of Galena, 370

Rin was pleased. He had been appointed as Fayoba's aide, an assistant sheriff.

And they had begun to train, calling their group of law-keepers the Copper Suns. Clad in full steel mail, wielding keen short swords and light bucklers, they were certainly to strike fear in the minds and hearts of those who would seek to steal more of Waterlures' treasures!

=====

I'm a bit unsure how to progress with the artifact thefts, so I'm postponing doing stuff about it. Fits well with Fayoba's personality, though.

Some stuff is a bit lacking in Fort mode compared to Adventure mode: in Fort mode you don't know what the citizens think of an artifact theft, but in Adventure mode you can just ask around and probably there's someone wanting that-and-that artifact returned. I might do the adventure run soon, but I can't remember if it messes up the citizenship petition schedules of long-time residents (not that we have "important" ones, but I'd rather not loose the gremlin sage).

Was a bit tempted to use make-citizen on the crow men, but fliers are a pain in the butt in fort mode and there's always the risk of crashes, so didn't do that.

No new marriages or births, but then again I got only to the turn of autumn.

I might have a break for a couple of days, but it depends on how I feel in the morning.

...And here's the yearly save:
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16171

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 30, 2022, 08:28:48 am »

For artifact thefts, we can send a squad on a mission to find the artifact. Maybe a citizen wishs to travel embark on a small journey.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: November 30, 2022, 08:57:08 am »

Yeah, been thinking of the squad mission option too. But I'd rather go with adventure mode, since then I can make a report of the quest and how it goes.

We'll see what I eventually end up doing.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 48