Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 48

Author Topic: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress & Adventure [DF 0.47.05]  (Read 68411 times)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress (Succession Game)
« Reply #450 on: January 19, 2023, 10:06:25 am »

Thanks!

Got to once again say that advfort is great when combining with adventurer camp building. The downside is that now I feel like I'd want to fill the whole world with small camps here and there just for flavor, haha.

Beautiful work as always, is that blue stuff inside water or something else?

Yeah, it's just water that has been spread around by the feet of various folk milling around.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 19, 2023, 07:11:55 pm »

No update today either.

Wasn't really in the mood to play today, but got a bit of progress done. This might take some time...

Just hope I haven't lost the mood to play Suwu's chapter to some kind of close.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: January 19, 2023, 07:24:24 pm »

Ah thats a shame, well no rush we can wait. Take time and find the inspiration and motivation you need.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 19, 2023, 08:12:46 pm »

maybe a change of format to mix things up? shorter form or different perspectives or new gambits for the characters

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: January 19, 2023, 08:17:36 pm »

Yeah, thats a good idea. Doesn't even have to be narrativly related. Could be a bunch of people just bumming around clueless to the narrative unfolding.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 19, 2023, 08:50:47 pm »

Thanks for the support and ideas!

I'll probably end up doing more report-like updates with less role-playing. I have ideas of how to progress, but I guess I just wanted to do it the same way as the previous stuff with Suwu. But I'll just have to face the reality that I won't be able to pull that off again this soon, so something simpler will have to suffice.

Good thing though is that I'm not having a creative block, since new ideas and such spring into my mind all the time and I get other stuff done (also, the side venture with the prospectors went without issues of getting anything written). Just seems to be a block related to this particular group. Which is weird, since I'm quite fond of Suwu & co. Or perhaps that's the reason? Not being able to do what I'd like and they'd deserve.

Ah well, we'll see how I feel tomorrow. Might be that I'm in a completely different mood and things go without issues.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 20, 2023, 03:35:08 am »

You know you don't have to do an update everyday you could try doing it every other day so you have more time to write the updates.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: January 20, 2023, 08:17:10 pm »

Part V:
Tales of the Past

13th of Hematite, 371

Suwu was in her room sitting at her table, the floor littered with scrolls and codices of all manner. A new day was just dawning, but Suwu had been awake for several hours, reading the last pages of the final book she had left to go through.

It was titled 'Fencereined After the End'.

“...As had been the case many a time, and as was expected in this particular one, the ignorant fools of the Order of Harvesters had their blinders on so tightly that they refused to understand the inevitability of life's end and the futility of their actions. In a sense, one can but admire their stubborn naïvety and faith in the gods that time and again prove to care not about the fate of their faithful. Or, perhaps, their foolishness is one of the mysteries of Minbazkar I will never be able to unravel and comprehend?

No matter what the case, the Exalted Persuasion Utes Siltghoul's refusal of my offer and belittling of Stâsost's and Rakbin's thinly-veiled threats will not affect the outcome in the end: Lomoth will prevail and we, his harbingers, will inherit the land.

After the End, Fencereined too, will be free of the suffering and ailments mortal life offers. And all will come to accept it.”

Suwu finished reading and put the book on her table.

'That was the last one', she thought as she sighed, 'At least Githa didn't live long enough to see the End of All Life he so longed for: he merely lost his own. And the world is now a slightly better place thanks to Lòr'.

For the last two months or so, she and Cañar had been busy reading all the books they brought with them from Finderblunts and Fencereined. They had been very careful when reading the ones from the tower, checking each title many a time and pondering whether they might carry unholy knowledge within their pages.

Fortunately, none contained forbidden secrets, but neither had they anything within that would give them any inkling of how to destroy the slabs of great evil they possessed.

A new plan had to be made.

“I said the books won't be of any help,” RIn said as the companions were sitting around the tables discussing about what they had learned so far and what should be their next course of action.

“We've been spending far too much time with those musty tomes,” the goblin continued, “Only to find out that our important mission has ground to a halt and the books have nothing of value to offer us.”

“I would not call it a waste of time,” the elephant man Cañar spoke, turning his focus to Rin, “We have learned much from the writing with Suwu. Much of the world at large and the thoughts of the scholarly lot.”

He paused for a moment, scratched his trunk, “But it seems to me that even all the combined knowledge the scholars have to offer, they too must be at loss how to rid the world of such artifacts of evil that we possess.”

“What about the elves?”, Ova joined in, trying to think of something that might be of help, “Surely they know more of these matters in the forest retreats. Múya Loré has faced its own share of death and destruction caused by the Prestigious Glazes. The Druid must have thought of something to keep the sorcerors at bay.”

“That's actually not a bad idea, Ova,” Suwu said with a hint of hope in her voice, “The heart of the elf lands is not far from here, and if what we heard about the tower of Islandfences is true, it is right at their borders, casting its shadow on the woods.”

“M-hm,” Ova replied. He liked the idea of heading west to the coast and the grand forest retreats of Múya Loré. If they decided to head there, he would get to see once more the lands where he grew up, “But I have my own selfish reasons to go there, too: I would very much like to see the forests of my birth one more time before I am too old.”

“Well,” Rin began, “It is not a bad idea. We'd get to stretch our legs, see new lands, and if the elves prove to be of no help, we can go and wipe that Islandfences and sorceror Kadol from the face of Minbazkar.”

Thus it was decided that they would head to the west and north.

Looking at their map, the closest forest retreat marked on it was Ramubìlalo, 'Noblepine'. It would be their first stop.

Once again the companions -- now called the White Fountains -- found themselves heading off for a new adventure, a new chapter in their quest to rid the world of Evil and Darkness.

Through the Dipped Hills their journey took them.

The many grasses growing in the savannas were all dry due to the warmth of the summer sun. While it was not hot, the climate was much warmer here than in Waterlures, and the companions were not used to it. At points the warm air felt almost oppressive, but fortunately those moments did not last long, for a cool, soothing breeze eventually blew from the west.

But the lands of the elves said to be full of lush forests were not immune to the defiling powers of the evil sorcerors.

As the companions were turning to head north towards Noblepine, they saw a depressing sight in the west: the grass and trees there were dead, the ground barren, and no sign or sound of life was in that direction.

“It is sad to see Ôsed's orchards in such a state,” Ova sighed at the sight, “I hope time will heal the land once the Darkness has been lifted.”

Not far from the dead, cursed forest, they saw what appeared to be Noblepine in the horizon. And it looked as if several camps were set up at the outskirts.

The White Fountains decided to investigate, but they remained cautious, for it could very well be possible that these were camps of the foul ones laying waste to these once beautiful lands.

They approached with caution.

The camps were not ones of the enemy. However, the companions encountered in them many a elf and other creature who had fled Noblepine when the Cobalt Empire had attacked it.

But that was several decades ago. Surely by this time things would have calmed down?

It was not only refugees they found in the camps: there were prisoners, too. And the companions four freed them.

The elf mechanic Iferi wished to get to Factionwasps where his daughter Covema lived. Or, if that wasn't possible, to Controlledseal, his old home.

But the human lasher Lat, human bowman Mima and goblin axeman Mumot had no family to speak of and would be satisfied wherever the companions would lead them.

However, they were not so keen to join and do battle against the evil of the sorcerors when Suwu asked about it.

But the magnificent and magical tree houses of Noblepine were empty and devoid of any inhabitants.

So the companions decided to continue to the west, towards the forest retreats of Blossomtrusted and Sportpack.

Their journey continued through the Dipped Hills, across dry grass fields and under the canopies of blossoming paradise nut trees.

The weather, however, was not fair any longer. No, quite the opposite: the sky was a dreary gray, rain fell in torrents muddying the soil, and muffled rumbling of thunder could be heard in the distance.

As they were nearing the outskirts of Blossomtrusted, night fell and darkness wrapped around them.

They made camp and would continue their journey in the morning.

14th of Hematite, 371

Blossomtrusted was far from blossoming. No, it was a rather depressing sight: the grass and undergrowth had withered and died. With every footstep they crunched under the paw as the companions and the rescued prisoners walked through the orchards. Surprisingly, the trees were still alive, although it appeared as if the foulness poisoning these lands was seeping into them.

Under the shade of a treehouse shaped into the branches of a rubber tree, amidst an orchard of date palms, stood a skinny goblin. She was clad in leathers and furs, with neatly combed short plum-colored hair and slightly protruding red eyes.

“Please, travelers! I need your help,” the goblin approached the group with a desperate look in her eyes.

The goblin introduced herself as Zefon Sabreshield, a poet, and she, too, was need of rescuing.

It seemed that the lands of Múya Loré had faced many a trouble and now lay in ruins, survivors looking for a way to get to safety.

Obscureglades, the forest retreat west of Blossomtrusted, was empty with no signs of life. It was something that Suwu and the rest were very much getting used to. And it was depressing.

Next, they headed to Styledlathered, which was only a short walk north. These forests were tightly packed with elf homes of old.

Finally, in Styledlathered, they were met by elves who were going about their business on the platforms shaped into the branches of a flowering lime tree.

“Welcome to Styledlathered, travelers,” the elf who introduced himself as Elana said, “Come, join us here in the shelter provided by the leaves of the Grizzly Musics, and rest your weary feet and share tales from the world with us.”

Suwu climbed up into the tree to talk with the elves, but the rest of her group remained below. She introduced herself and told where she came from, despite the possibility that it might be unwise to mention Waterlures in these lands. However, the elves of Múya Loré had been long-time trading partners of the Amazing Bath-Swine and Suwu trusted them.

“Ah, Waterlures, eh?”, the elf said, “I have heard tales told of the place. A hamlet of capybara folk in the old lands of our kin from Ula Tefe. Far from the reaches of this eternal plague of the Night that has laid waste to our beautiful lands and beyond.”

“What can you tell of this plague?”, Suwu began, “We passed through several abandoned forest settlements of your kind, some of them merely empty, but some... Some had all life sucked away from the greenery and in place of lush vegetations were but withered husks of grass and such. And by the looks of it, the grass of your home has met the same fate.”

“Several abandoned?”, Elana raised her brow, looking surprised, “No, that is not the case. Not the ones nearby, at least. Only Obscureglades to the south and our neighboring retreats to the west have fallen... And that was a long, long time ago.”

“Yes, Obscureglades fell nearly half a century ago,” another elf, who had introduced herself as Sareve, joined in, “But the Night did not fall upon it, no. It was the humans from the Coalition of Clenching who descended upon it, coming all the way from Snarlsoapy in the southern coast, I believe.”

“The Coalition of Clenching?”, Suwu asked, “I have heard of no such kingdom in my travels.”

“Ah, it is not a kingdom, capybara woman. It is a faction from the Relieved Realms. But they did not operate on behalf of the law-giver, I believe. No, they were working on their own,” Sareve continued.

“Yes, that is precisely how it is,” Elana offered his assurance, “But I do think that even they have now left Obscureglades. It is entirely possible that the curse poisoning the very lifesoil of these lands made it impossible to grow any kind of harvest there, and thus, even the humans decided eventually to leave it. Here, we are fortunate that things have not turned so dire, though it takes all our might to keep the curse from tainting our home any further. I know not how long we may keep it up.”

“Can you tell me more of this curse?”, Suwu asked the elves.

“Why yes, certainly, but it is a grim, dark tale. One of suffering. Of pain. Of death. And... Of undeath,” Elana said, his expression turning sad and melancholic.

“Many from the younger kingdoms of the mortal races suppose that the Darkness descended upon the lands when the dwarf Kadol made unholy pacts with malevolent entities -- gods of the darker kind, as the mortals believe -- and learned secrets not meant for mortals to know,” the elf began recounting the story of the past.

“No, it did not begin with Kadol. It began long before. But it did begin with the folk of the mountain and stone: with the ancient, accursed kingdom of the Mighty Ship.”

“Once, we of Múya Loré regarded the stout bearded ones as our allies, even our friends. But that changed when our people learned of their cruelty against the life Icemì had breathed into this land. Our diplomats, the Voices of the Forest, and our Druids, they pleaded the dwarves to end their abbhorrent practices, their cruelty, but to no avail. And alas, it forced us to take arms and stand in defense of our friends of the wilds: the animals,” Elana paused, looking at Suwu intently, as if expecting her to understand that she, too, was one of the beasts he spoke of.

“So the Dented Conflict was waged against the Mighty Ship, yet the Singed Battles left the forces of our Princess in shambles. A third of our kin who waged war was butchered by the dwarves and our Druid had no option but to plead for peace. And peace we had. And with peace, a promise that the dwarves would respect life and do no unnecessary harm no more.”

“Yet, one should never trust the word of a dwarf. And several decades later, our leadership came to learn this unfortunate truth. For the dwarves of the Mighty Ship never had any intention to keep their word: they continued their cruelty and barbarity against animal and plant. But they kept it secret, hidden from us. They knew that what they were doing was wrong, but their cruel hearts cared not for righteousness nor good.”

“All they cared for was themselves, their dark, hollow halls cut deep into the very rock of the world, and the shining gems the stone bore. Icemì's trees were but fuel for their forges billowing black smoke, the animals merely but flesh to be consumed so that their miners would stay strong and dig ever the deeper, appeasing the dwarves' endless greed for precious metal and glistening jewel.”

“And so a terrible war began: Vesifa Moÿira, the Conflict of Combating. A war for Truth and Honesty. The first of the wars to preserve Life. And it is what led to the fall of the Mighty Ship. We had no other option but war and conquest to stop their heartless actions, alas. And conquer we did: Birdsink, Posttomb, Charcoalwheel and all the rest of their hillocks. And their grand fortress of Fencereined fell, too.”

“We have heard of the Mighty Ship,” Suwu said as the elf paused, “And we have heard of the fall of Fencereined.”

“Ah, my apologies if my stories are something you already know,” Elana replied.

“Please, do go on,” Suwu answered, ”For I would very much like to know more. We know not but very little of the history of these lands. And it would help us...” Suwu paused. She was about to mention their quest, but perhaps she was being too trusting? “It would help us understand better, and act in such a manner that we may be of assistance -- if help is needed.”

And so the elf continued recounting the tales of the past.

“It is against this backdrop that we have to view the rise of Kadol the Great Sorceror. His origins are not commonly known, but here in Múya Loré, where his wickedness and defiling ways have been felt since the very beginning, we have learned much of his past.”

“It is said that Kadol came not from a great family of noble blood as some would believe. No, he was raised in a humble peasant family, and served as a cook in the hillocks of Charcoalwheel for many a year. Until he rose to the position of a baron of the Mighty Ship -- for what reason, that we know not.”

“He was one who had a deep-rooted fear of the inevitable conclusion of mortal life: death. And it is something that obsessed and consumed him, leading him to search for ways to extend his existence by any means. And it was during the Dented Conflict -- we have learned -- when he made an unholy pact with the entity known as Dushig: a ghastly deity from the myths of the dwarves. One who has been mostly forgotten now centuries later.”

“But Dushig's might is still felt in this world, for she granted Kadol his greatest wish: the secrets of life and death. And with the terrible power he now held, he did no good. He did not use it to better the world. No, on the contrary, he used the forbidden magicks he now wielded to do great harm against all Life, all creation of Icemì Apedives. He had one goal: to destroy and put an end to the living and replace it with the stasis of Death and Nothingness.”

“And as his unholy stronghold he erected the tower of Islandfences in the name of Dushig and the End of Life. Since then, these lands have been cursed, ravaged by the foul plague gnawing on the very lifeforce of Icemì. Slowly it has spread like an invasive fungal growth draining the will to live from trees. And even centuries later, it still lingers, causing needless pain and suffering.”

“That is what you have seen in these lands. The barren lands and tortured, withered grass is what Kadol has wrought upon us. His vile creations and plague thralls putting the living to the sword, only to be raised as mockeries of their once beautiful selves: as foul undead with no soul nor will of their own.”

The elf paused once again, a sad and slightly distraught look on his face.

“It is what we hope to put an end to,” Suwu opened her mouth after a moment, “We would want to help stop this Darkness once and for all.”

“Hah! I admire your ambition, capybara woman,” the elf smiled, “But if the forces of Kadol could be defeated and this unlife ravaging the lands put to rest, it would have been done a long time ago. No, even our greatest heroes have failed in doing such. We are at the point where we have to admit the truth: we are fighting a losing battle. Every 'victory' we gain is but post-poning the inevitable...”

“And what would that be?”, Suwu asked, feeling slightly offended at the dismissal of her offer to help.

“Death. The End of Life.”

=====

Ok, so I got some kind of update then. Turned into a rather long lore dump with not so much actual "progress" in the game.

I think I have several new ideas now how to head with this part of the story. Don't know how things'll pan out in the end, but yeah, now feeling like I got some new drive to get this adventure concluded.

We'll see how tomorrow goes, but today at least was a better day for writing. If it's good again, I'll try to get a report up, if not, well, I'll then work on mod stuff or something.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 21, 2023, 04:07:45 am »

Sounds like exciting things are in store for the future of our group of brave adventures.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: January 21, 2023, 10:52:25 am »

Yeah, we'll see what adventures our heroes get into. Though, probably the first thing to do is get the rescued prisoners somewhere safe (note: one of them actually seems to have disappeared somewhere during fast travel).

I was a bit surprised to find a forest retreat that actually had elves in it. Every place in the north seem to have been more or less destroyed or abandoned, so it's nice to see some places where things are still as they should be.

(Also, I keep forgetting that Ova is missing a leg and needs a crutch for walking.)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: January 21, 2023, 08:10:38 pm »

No update today.

I got a fair amount of stuff written down, but I didn't get any significant progress with the adventure, so I'd rather wait that I have something else to show than just "they went there, they said this and that, and then they went over there yonder and set camp". (Edit. Though, now that I think of it, most of the contents of my updates tend to be that...)

Since this chapter will take some time before I get to a point where returning to play Waterlures proper will happen, would someone want to do a short adventurer run again after I get the Suwu stuff finished (or to a somewhat satisfying point)? I don't want to do a super long turn this time, so as to avoid being drained too much by it. :)

It doesn't have to be anything grand, and in fact, some down-to-earth kind of thing, like say, someone heading off to build a house or inn next to a road or in the wilds would be very nice (so, just setting up a camp somewhere with nothing special going on).

After that the plan would be to finally check out how our capies back at the Lakes of Saturninity are doing.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: January 22, 2023, 09:05:04 pm »

Part VI:
The Monastery of Tangledwisps

14th of Hematite, 371

The sun was blazing directly from above as the group of adventurers and their new companions walked southwards. The white sand road going through an orchard of pomelo and carambola trees was warm. It reflected the rays of the sun, making the heat at points almost unbearable to folk from cooler climates.

Elana's tale of Kadôl and his origins gave some new insight, but it was hardly anything that the heroes could put to good use in their quest for peace and the end of the evil plaguing the land.

Unlike the rest of the forest retreats the companions had visited during their travels, Styledlathered was bustling with life and, if one did not pay attention to the dead grass here and there, one could almost imagine there were no twisted towers casting their shadows on the living.

In one of the majestic giant trees of Styledlathered, the companions spotted something curiously familiar: elven merchants and their pack animals.

Ova swore he had seen them before, and so the companions took a closer look.

And indeed, these merchants had been to Waterlures. They still had with them some of the items they had traded for in the south. Clothes made my Edu, Såkzul and Zon. Carved bone crafts made by 'Zultan'.

It was pleasing to see something familiar in these distant lands, but at the same time it made the companions yearn to be back at the comfort of Waterlures.

Not only elves lived in the forest retreat. A handful of humans were seen going on about their business up in the trees, dressed and acting like elves.

They also met a woman named Tikbo, a prophet.

“And when She saweth Her devout forsake the Path and turn to false Longevity, the Permanency of Quests sayeth, 'Heed my words and warning, Young Ones, for thou hast renounced Me, and in turn, I shall renounce thee, and rain ruin upon Dreamsboarded and cast the unrepentant apostates into the Fires of Akkar,'” the prophet had preached to Suwu and her companions.

They had no clue what she meant with it and how it mattered their quest.

But the prophet did offer them words more easily comprehended, when she spoke of a group of bandits causing much turmoil and misery all around the west coast. It is something they had heard from many others who they had talked with at the forest retreat.

It seemed like something worthy of an investigation.

Looking at their map they were pleased that the monastery, where the bandits supposedly were holed up, was not far to the south. Perhaps only a half day or so of traveling?

And there appeared to be many a hamlet along the way. They would take the rescued prisoners to one of them first. Assuming the hamlets were safe places, of course.

And that was not something that was certain in these lands.

They headed west and south towards the coast, passing through several forlorn forest retreats. The contrast was sharp when compared to vibrant Styledlathered, and that was something disheartening.

When they reached the coast and saw the deep blue and green of the Gulf of Liberation, the sun was already low in the western sky.

Night was just around the corner.

The sight of large crashing waves and the soothing sound of the ocean was something new to Suwu. She had seen the sea several times during these travels, but never had she seen such towering waves as here.

It was a rather enjoyable sight.

But at the same time it was intimidating: the sea seemed to be vast and endless.

They made camp up a slope from the beach, next to the trunk of a thorny acacia.

“...And the dwarf saw the sun and vomited on the very spot!”, Mumot the goblin axeman finished his joke.

Suwu laughed heartily, “Ha ha! That was a good one and so very true. But I must say, it is no wonder they dislike the shine of Ôsed's Light in the sky. For they spend so much time within their halls cut into the mountain and the dark within, that one for certain forgets the Light. Why, spending even a few hours in the darkness of a cave is enough for the eye to not take kindly to anything brighter than the flickering of a candle's flame.”

As Ova and Rin cooked some fresh boar meat Suwu had hunted, the capybara woman turned to address Zefon, the goblin poet they had rescued.

“You mentioned having a daughter in Horrorclinches,” Suwu said to her, “I presume that's a goblin pits somewhere, no?”

“Why, yes,” Zefon answered, a bit surprised at the sudden question, “It is there. You see, I may be from the Bent Spears, but I am also a goblin. And despite the... peculiarities of many of my kind and their ways -- which I very much disapprove of -- my daughter is very fond of our kin. Certainly that is not wrong?”

“No. No it isn't,” Rin joined in, looking up from the fire. 'This one isn't telling the whole truth. I wonder what she is keeping hidden from us,' he thought as he eyed the goblin closely. “I too have lived among our kind and I would hardly call their ways only 'peculiar'. That is a very mild statement. No, what our kin does is utterly horrifying and abbhorrent. Despicable. Cruel. Evil.

“Yes, it is terrifying,” Suwu said, nodding her head slightly.

“Perhaps you are right,” Zefon replied and averted his gaze from Suwu and Rin, “But still, I would like to see my daughter... It has been a long, long time since I saw her.”

“Whatever the case,” Suwu stood up and stretched her arms, “We can not currently veer too far off our path and head all the way to the pits. No, we can only take you to somewhere closer by. Perhaps one of the hamlets on the coast? Provided they are safe, of course. From there, you may seek other ways of passage to the far, far east.”

“But enough of this seriousness,” she continued before the others could say anything, “It is time to make merry for the moment, and I have not sung songs for some time. How about 'Amethysts'?”

And once again the companions sang a familiar tune.

Yet, despite the many times they had sung it together, Suwu sang sloppily and Rin made a mockery of the uzo with his shameworthy performance.

15th of Hematite, 371

As the sun rose from the east, the sky was clear and the journey along the coast continued.

Well-rested and stomachs full of boar, the companions were in high spirits this day. A night of song and dance had done them good after the sadness brought by the sight of barren lands with husks of trees that were mere twisted shadows of their former selves.

Along the beach of smooth shale pebbles and stones the companions made their way, passing pieces of driftwood that littered the whole of the area here and there.

Cañar and Rin took off once in a while to hunt crabs, which they apparently found to be beings of the most foul kind.

And now their packs were full of crab meat, too. They would not run out of food any time soon.

They did not have to travel long before they saw signs of civilization in the south.

Looking at their map, it was the hamlet of Lemnashra, 'Cookedattacks', and the several monasteries surrounding it.

They headed first to the nearest monastery, which was named Autumnmopped according to their map.

There they saw an open-walled temple, its supporting corners made of white dolomite and carved with intricate engravings, its floor made of smooth blocks of dark gray stone. The engravings revealed that it was a temple of the Denomination of Harvesters.

But to the surprise of Suwu and the rest of the White Fountains, this was not the Denomination of Harvesters, nor the Order of Harvesters, that worshipped Zoku the Permanency of Quests, the human goddess of longevity and youth.

No, this was another sect with the same name, but they worshipped a different god: Tequil, the god of lightning and thunder. So much was evident from the bandfire opal and hematite statues carved in the image of the tall, stalwart god. Intimidating, awe-inspiring.

The religions of the humans were very complicated and our heroes had very little understanding of them, indeed.

The monastery had little else to offer.

Only a handful books were found in the temple, and without much thought Suwu took them. “Might just as well take these and take them to safety. I am sure it is something Tekkud would have wanted us to do,” she had explained her actions to the others.

For a moment they thought the monastery was still in use when they met a small group of humans in a building, which appeared to be some kind of dormitory. But when asked about the daily life and going-ons of the religious community, they had laughed and said that there was nothing organized here. They were just mere peasants traveling and had taken shelter in the abandoned monastery.

So the companions made their way to the hamlet of Cookedattacks, hoping it might be a safe place for the rescued prisoners.

They came to the center of the hamlet where was a well and two humans lifting water from it to fill their buckets. Further they saw a dwarf and beyond the houses was a group of four or so humans, who by the looks of it were monks.

Suwu approached one of the humans who had round, brass-colored eyes. He wore robes made from the skin of an alligator or crocodile, and a turban was wrapped tightly around his heads, revealing a few locks of hair, which once had been brown but had now turned almost entirely gray.

“Greetings human,” she said as she raised her hand, “I am Suwu Cleanmusics and these are my companions. We are new to these lands and would very much be pleased to know more of your home.”

“Ah, well, I can spare a moment or two,” the human replied as he put down the bucket he had just filled, “I am Em, Em Froglobster and this place is known as Cookedattacks. There is not much for me tell, for we are a peaceful hamlet with not much happening here. Along with a score of other hamlets, our farmers and peddlers head to Beardbank north of here to do trade. That is all we deal with the larger world. And I very much prefer it that way.”

“I am sorry, but I must head home now...”, Em said as he lifted his bucket. As he turned to leave he continued, “However, if you want to know more, perhaps you should find the lady of the Fortuitous League. Ask around for Ngokang Kniferuthless, if you have trouble finding her.”

After asking around for where to find lady Ngokang, they were pointed out to a keep that lay in the northeastern portion of the hamlet.

When they arrived and entered, they were quite surprised with the amount of folk inside: there were humans, elves, goblins and dwarves, and most of them seemed to be priestly types or some other holy figures.

It was surprisingly easy to recognize who was the lady. Suwu walked over to her, bowed her head slightly and made introductions.

“I am the current lady of the Fortuitous League, the governing body of Cookedattacks,” lady Ngokang explained to Suwu, “And we are a part of the Relieved Realms, our glorious kingdom ruled by our benevolent law-giver, his majesty Pusap Crownshowed of the line of Em Scoldstop.”

The goblin waved her hand in a broad arc and continued, “And this is the Dance of Animals, my mead hall and keep. This is the heart of our humble hamlet built over two centuries ago when Onaf Matchcrowed was lady.”

“We have been blessed by the gods, for Cookedattacks has avoided the bloodshed and horror wrought upon the world by the evil-doers making home at our very doorstep,” Ngokang told Suwu when she had asked how this hamlet fared against the vile sorcerors, “We have stood proudly as a safe haven for those who seek solace and want to leave behind the anguish of war. For those who seek to dedicate their lives on more important matters, such as worship of the gods.”

“Unfortunately we have had our differences with the elves of Múya Loré to the north,” she continued, her expression turning more stern, “And these differences led to bloodshed several decades ago when we were forced to wage war upon the Scholarly Howl of Bearbank. For you see, it came to our attention that the elves had taken a liking to the flesh of human, dwarf and goblin -- some even ate their very own kin!”

“It is terrifying,” Suwu said, “We have heard such tales of the elves... Though, we haven't witnessed such barbarity.”

“Ah, but they do not proclaim it openly, capybara woman. Regardless, our's was a doomed campaign and the elves proved to be far stronger than us, repelling our efforts to bring justice time and again,” Ngokang went on and sighed, “We never made peace, but an uneasy truce has been in effect... Though, later things escalated with the Constructive Mirth -- another elven group from the north -- and we are currently at war with them, alas. But this far we have managed to prevent bloodshed, and I intend to keep it that way.”

The goblin then cleared her throat, and straightened the hem of her dress before continuing, “You will have to excuse me now, for I have important matters to tend to. There is to be a synod of sacred sheens and sacred lenses, and there is very much I have to talk with them... But feel free to talk to my husband Asno, if you wish to learn more.”

They learned little more from the lord consort and eventually left the keep, heading back to the center of the village.

There they had a brief discussion with the rescued prisoners and it was decided that they would have to stay here, or find other ways to go wherever they needed to go. The companions explained that their's was a dangerous quest, and could not guarantee the safety of their new allies.

But the White Fountains said that once their task in Tangledwisps was completed, they would return and check on Lat, Mumot, Mina and Zefon.

They made their way once again through the Dipped Hills, heading south.

The day continued to be hot, the sun blazing on them as they traversed through the seemingly endless fields of high grass, the shade of the canopies of acacias and various citrus trees giving some ease from the heat.

It was not a long journey they made, stopping at the hamlet of Fragrantrain on the way, before they saw buildings in the horizon.

If they read their map correctly and the directions they had received were true, the monastery Tangledwisps lay before them.

And there, possibly, were bandits that needed to be taken care of.

The first three buildings -- a dining hall, temple and possibly a study -- they searched were empty. They expected that to be case with the last one, and that they came all the way here for nothing.

However, when they approached the final building made of well-cut dolomite, sounds were heard from inside.

They approached cautiously.

They were surprised when they opened the door of the building and entered the apparent dormitory.

Where they expected to find a group of scoundrels and other miscreants clad in rags with looted jewelry adorning them, they instead saw a group of well-dressed humans draped in robes of fine cloth and leather.

And among the humans was a dwarf: he had a very long beard and hair, both arranged in double braids. His burnt umber hair had streaks of gray shining like silver, his emerald eyes had very large irises and his skin was of a pink hue -- something not common among dwarves.

He wore a toga of cotton, which added oddly to the imposing and grand aura emanating from him.

Suwu approached them, sword sheathed, interrupting the discussion the frail woman next to the door was having with a chubby human.

“I am Strohe Fluketugged, chieftess of the Umbral Scars, and this is Tangledwisps,” the lady introduced herself to Suwu after being greeted, “We have been looking over this place ever since the passing of Legu Rooterconflict, who constructed this monastery for the Silvery Cult as a place to meditate upon Us the Brass Charcoal. Without us, this place would be now but decrepit ruins and a withered husk of its former self.”

“Troubles? What nonsense do you speak of?”, Strohe looked insulted after Suwu told her firmly, but politely, that they had heard the Umbral Scars causing problems for the elves, “But, I can see that now... Why the tree-dwellers of Múya Loré would say such things... It is true, we are not in good terms with them, no. There is ill-will between us. Silly disputes of how we supposedly 'abuse plants', hah! As if one could abuse a plant or cause one pain! But to call us bandits? Outrageous! Such insulting claims! It infuriates me to even think of such accusations!”

“I-I am sorry...”, Suwu stammered, shifting her gaze to the dirt floor, “I meant not to insult you...”

“Worry not of such,” the chieftess continued, “For I am unlike the noble who would have your head for such words. I very much understand you have been led astray, deceived. The trickery of elves runs deep. It is part of their very essence. To be an elf is to lie. To sow discord between those who would otherwise be allies.”

They then went on talking about how the place did no trade with the outer world and was very much insulated from it. Soon the discussion shifted to troubles and hardships, which faced the land.

“But such troubles are something we can deal with on our very own,” Strohe concluded and paused. She rubbed her chin, clearly thinking, before continuing, “Though, there is one matter I, nor my underlings, have time to attend to...”

“What would that be, my lady?”, Suwu asked, more of courtesy than of genuine interest.

“My family... We have lost a precious heirloom of our's,” the human replied with a weary voice, “Honorthinned it is called. A spear forged of the finest copper by dwarf hands from the Bent Spears centuries ago. It was made heirloom by my ancestor Masami Meetingshell after it was... given to him in Doomedpatterns.”

Once again she paused, rubbed her chin, and then continued, “Masami was the husband of Legu, the founder of Tangledwisps, and so he has a very special part not only in my history, but the history of the Silvery Cult. In any case, I will spare you the details of his significance, but when he passed away, Honorthinned went missing.”

“For long has my family sought its return, but its whereabouts remained hidden,” she went on, “Until I recently heard of a certain elf carrying a special and quite unique spear. A copper spear of the highest quality, adorned with distinctive rings of wild boar hoof. It can only be Honorthinned. And this elf, I have learned, is one named ÿalùmi Apexstyle. And she resides in the Forest of Helping, in the retreat of Sportpack.”

“Sportpack?”, Suwu raised her brow, “I believe we have seen that place... But if our travels take us there once more, I will see to it that your heirloom is brought back to its rightful owner.”

Finally, Suwu approached the dwarf, and as she did that, she instinctively kept her eyes lowered. There was something odd about the dwarf and the aura he emanated -- not in a bad manner, but in a weirdly soothing yet imposing way.

“Why do you look at the ground, capybara woman?”, the dwarf asked Suwu with a slight smile that could be seen from under his long moustache, “Is there perhaps too much dirt on the floor of dirt? Or perhaps a pebble or two too many?”

“W-Wha-- N-No...?”, Suwu raised her eyes to meet the penetrating gaze of the bearded one, and immediately lowered them again, “I... I just...”

“Oh, worry not!”, the dwarf chuckled, “I merely jest, for I am in a particularly cheerful mood today. I didn't quite get your name as you spoke with lady Strohe. What was it again?”

“I am Suwu. Suwu Cleanmusics the Confusing Smokes,” Suwu said and waved her hand towards the rest of her group, “And these are my companions, the White Fountains.”

“The White Fountains? I have heard not of such a group before,” the dwarf said, puckering his lips slightly, “You may call me Raqui Judgekneaded, and Zoku the Permanency of Quests is displeased.”

“Huh? Zoku? The human goddess?”, Suwu asked ever the more confused by the dwarf.

“Yes, that one,” Raqui chuckled again, “But pay no heed to my silly words, I am no disciple of her's. I am at one with Us the Brass Charcoal, the goddess of jewels. And that is what brought me to Tangledwisps in the first place. To this monastey and its temple dedicated to her and her's alone.”

“So, you are part of the Silvery Cult then?”, Suwu continued her questions, “Like lady Strohe and the rest here? You are with them?”

“With them?”, the dwarf replied pointing at the humans, slightly taken aback by Suwu's words, “No. I am certainly not with them. Pshsh! A bunch of outlaws taken residence in a monastery of old they are. They most definitely are no faithful ones nor members of the sect!”

Rin, who was following the discussion from a distance, noticed several of the humans glance agitatedly at the dwarf. There was some uneasy shifting among their ranks.

“No, I may be on terms with them, but I take no part in their ways,” Raqui continued, casting an angry stare at the humans, “I came here on a series of pilgrimages from Fragrantworth, a hamlet to the east of here. It is nearly a century since I arrived and I have seen and know much of the history of this place and these lands.”

“Did you become a monk here?”, Suwu kept on asking, this dwarf piquing her curiosity.

“Close,” the dwarf replied, “But not quite. I became a prophet, following the word of Us closely and listened. Observed. Waited. In the end, it was not quite my vocation. The life of a prophet, that is.”

“No. I was no prophet,” Raqui said, the smile slowly fading from his face, “But it made me understand who I truly am, what my destiny is and where it lies. Written long before I was born.”

“And what would such a thing be? If I may ask,” Suwu's questions kept coming. She had never felt like this around a dwarf. It was a strange feeling... Yet pleasing.

“I am king,” Raqui straightened himself, his imposing presence emanating ever the stronger, “King Raqui Judgekneaded, eighth son of Sedme Washtowers and Ibid Claspcyclones, and I am the rightful ruler of Ekurzuglar, the Mighty Ship.”

=====

Quite a long one and not much happening. Tried to get something else than just discussions, walking and loredumps, but nope, nothing happened. Seems like this part of the war-torn lands is relatively calm and safe.

Hope it wasn't too much of a drag and tedious to read...

I was a bit surprised to see crafts from Waterlures at the forest retreat. Never seen anything quite like it, and I was under the impression that merchants don't take them to their home... But apparently that's not the case then? At least not when the crafts are made by characters created with Adventure mode.

Also, I chose to head to the monastery because I had read from Legends that the king is a prophet or something over there. I didn't actually think he'd be around when I get there (often when I've expected someone to be somewhere due to Legends, they haven't been there)... So, now there's even more options on the table for the future of this world. (As a note: it's been for some time now possible to choose the Mighty Ship in Fort mode, but not Adventure. Don't think that was possible in the beginning.)

I'm a bit conflicted currently what to do with the bandit group in Tangledwisps: should Suwu and company take care of them? Or should we leave them be?

Other than that, I have some plans for the continuation of this part. Not sure if I'll play tomorrow or do some modding stuff, but I'd imagine that within a few days or so the next update will be posted (and if I won't make it, I'll notify about it).

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 23, 2023, 06:09:47 am »

I don't mind walking and lore dumps.

Also deal with the bandits whoever you feel fits the narrative.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 24, 2023, 01:49:55 pm »

The sight of large crashing waves and the soothing sound of the ocean was something new to Suwu. She had seen the sea several times during these travels, but never had she seen such towering waves as here.

It was a rather enjoyable sight.

But at the same time it was intimidating: the sea seemed to be vast and endless.

u know I always wondered how dwarves, being a generally subterranean species, might look upon the sea and what emotions they might feel. larger than any cavern lake, full of salt and monsters.. i must admit I never imagined what a sentient capybara person might feel!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 24, 2023, 04:40:07 pm »

i must admit I never imagined what a sentient capybara person might feel!

Haha, well, now we know! :)

Had a break yesterday and did some mod stuff. Today I got some game time in, but haven't really been in the proper mood and didn't get anything written yet (took screenshots though!), so probably will see if tomorrow is a better day.

But anyways, once I get the next update up, I'll try to get the game to a point where I can pass the save for another Adventure mode run, if someone wants. Sort of feeling like my turn is this time not getting me into the proper mindset and I'd rather not try and force it.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 48