Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 48

Author Topic: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress & Adventure [DF 0.47.05]  (Read 68662 times)

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
Re: Waterlures - A Capybara Man Fortress (Succession Game)
« Reply #465 on: January 25, 2023, 11:59:44 pm »

Part VII:
Stagnant Waters

16th of Hematite, 371

The day had turned already to the next when the companions sat huddled next to a campfire late in the night.

The sky was clear and one could see the stars shining brightly from between the branches and leaves of the kumquat and orange trees. A cool breeze blew from the west, rustling in the grass, mixing with the rumbling of the ocean's waves in a relaxing manner.

The companions were some ways off west of Tangledwisps, camped just next to a beach of stone and pebble.

Things had not gone exactly as planned in the monastery.

“She called me a murderer,” Suwu broke the silence. They had been sitting there for a while now, all sullen and morose, each staring blankly at the mesmerizing dance of the campfire's flames. It was only now that Suwu realised that her hands were shaking. She had held it all together this long, but now she could feel her body begin to understand what had happened and react to it.

“It was uncalled for,” Ova tried to soothe Suwu. He had noticed the trembling of the capybara woman's paws. He continued, “And all that spitting. You didn't deserve it.”

“Didn't I?”, Suwu turned to look at Ova, “For the sake of the gods, I could've stayed my hand. I could've just held Kisnast down.”

“She attacked you Suwu,” Cañar joined in, “She was part of the Umbral Scars. A bandit and Strohe's henchman.”

“Yes, that she did. It was her own doing,” the mandrill man continued to try and assure Suwu that what she did was right. Ova did not fully understand why Suwu was so disturbed by her killing of Kisnast -- he, himself, felt that it was grimly satisfying that the bandit was now dead.

“And, Suwu, do not forget that you did try to get the bandits first to lay their arms,” Cañar said, walking over to Suwu and sitting down next to her, “Were it not for the provocative, but justified, words of the king, we might have been able to deal with them in some other manner.”

He put his hand on Suwu's cheek, then lifted her chin so that he could look her straight in the eyes, “But there is no use in pondering the 'whats' and 'ifs' in this case. No, life is fleeting, and they had their end coming. A just and deserved end is what those scoundrels got.”

“Yes, even Strohe's story of that heirloom spear was untrue,” Ova added to Cañar's assurances, “If you don't remember, before things escalated, Urwa mentioned that the spear was actually her family's.”

“I-I don't know...”, Suwu looked at the two. She was glad that her friends were there for her in that moment, comforting her. Yet, she felt that things had gone a bit too far again. This was not the first time she had acted rashly. She still remembered Finderblunts and how she had put down one of the abominations when it was not necessary. It made her afraid. Afraid of herself, what she could do.

“I almost feel like I should find that spear,” she continued, “But it would not ease the pain of Urwa for loosing a friend... And I do not believe she would be grateful to get her heirloom brought back by someone she sees as a murderer.”

“Well, now listen, my friend,” Rin spoke up. He had been watching and listening to the discussion from the side, and felt like he should intervene, “It was a most gruesome affair at the monastery, yes.”

He paused for a second to gather his thoughts, before continuing as the others turned to look at him, “But did the dwarf prophet-king mind? No. He didn't. It was he who practically caused the whole ruckus. He peppered the bandits with his cleverly chosen insults all the time when you spoke with him. Making sure they heard it. Of that, I'm certain.”

“Rin speaks true,” Cañar nodded in agreement, “And do not forget he told us where the bandits sent their patrols, their numbers. He wanted us to rid these lands of them. And do not forget either the look in his eyes when you told of how we rid the ancient holds of his kin of the foul beasts of the depths. The look of hope. A look of a future worth living for.”

Suwu looked at her companions. She felt her burden become lighter with their calming words. She was glad she had friends like these. Her thoughts drifted to the words of the king.

“I can not express with words how this news delights me,” the king had said, his eyes gleaming with joy, “My kin lost Drivefloor a long, long time ago to that beast. It was not even five years since the Smith of Life led by Zulban Oilportal founded the fortress when it fell. First, they faced a terrible behemoth, a colossal being of bronze that came rampaging from the wilds, from a distant time before memory. They drove Emepe Scorchedgrand the Superior back, only to be laid waste by Ustxu Bloatswam the Murky that crept from the dark while my ancestors tended to their wounds.”

And the king had been ever the more grateful when Suwu had told how the fortress of Ceilingyell, too, had been cleared of uninvited guests.

“You continue to astonish me with your stories, bold adventurers,” he had said and knelt before those of lesser birth than him. It was something one would not ever expect from a king, divinely ordained to rule the lands. “Ceilingyell was where the Mighty Ship was born. My grand kingdom of old, now in ruins and all but forgotten. Indeed, it was there where the founding ceremony, the Celebration of Abbeys, was first held: a grand procession to honor Kogan Fogcrafted becoming our First King. Recitals of poems, the burning of fragrant incense and many a performance. Ah, to have lived and witnessed it and then grabbed a mug or ten of plump helmet wine at the Armored Cakes!”

“But, alas, Ceilingyell was doomed to fall. The first of our fortresses of old. It was two years before the founding of Drivefloor when Xosun Murkguts the Mangy Pus slithered up from the darkness and befouled the halls,” the king had sighed, then looked up with hope, “That beast, too, has now been put to an end. These are words that greatly warm my heart, capybara woman.”

“And Suwu, do not either forget what he said in the end,” Cañar continued recounting the events and words exchanged, “He said, 'What you have done is truly legendary. You have done a great deed for me, and for the few of us -- the Mighty Ship -- that survive to this day. You have given us hope. This is why Us the Brass Charcoal led me here. You have my gratitude, White Fountains.' Do not think he said those words lightly, for he is king. He might not have a kingdom, no, but he is king.

A faint smile came on Suwu's lips. Everything her comrades told her was true. It was good to get their insight on these matters.

“Thank you, my friends,” she said and stood up, “I am weary after the day, but I still have some spirit in me. How about a song? Something different this time... Like 'the Birth of Lessons'?”

“A fine idea,” Cañar replied. He too smiled.

And like on so many nights before, the companions sang.

And Suwu sang well.

They slept not long before the sun rose from the east, casting its warm rays upon the companions and relieving Suwu of her last bits of regret of how things had gone -- at least for the time being.

While the weather was fair and warm, a heavy fog shrouded the sea to their west. Only the sound of the crashing surf revealed its presence next to them.

They were headed back north along the coast, for they intended to visit Beardbank, a large forest retreat and a place where the Druid of Múya Loré resided. The place had been mentioned by several elves before they went to Tangledwisps. It was their hope that the Druid might know a thing or two about the unholy artifacts they carried.

But they had also been warned that one must be wary there. For even the Druid's home was not safe from the activities of thieves and criminals, and a sprawling organisation of such evil-doers made their lair there.

Ova looked at the dead lion, its head badly crushed by Cañar's hammer. Suwu was preparing to butcher it and take its meat for the road.

These lands reminded him much of his home of old, which lay north of the forest retreats of Múya Loré, if his memory served him well. Yet, those lands were now overrun by the Darkness and all things foul Kadôl and the rest of the sorcerors had wrought upon the land.

The mandrill man felt tired. It was more than once that he had fallen back during their long journeys from place to place. He had to stop and rest. Despite him using his crutch as a natural extension of his leg by now, he was beginning to understand that he could not go on like this for longer. He was of no use during fights any more.

And he was tired of the excitement too. It was something he had never been comfortable with, and no matter how many a battle he faced, he didn't get used to it or learn to like it.

“This place reminds me of home,” Ova opened his mouth.

“Waterlures?”, Suwu lifted her head, still crouched as she butchered the carcass.

“No. My home of old,” Ova replied, “Before I came to Waterlures. The lands where I grew up, farther to the north.”

The mandrill man looked around, at the fruit trees and palms, the green hills carpeted in lush grass. The gentle breeze blowing. It felt like... Home.

“I am tired, Suwu,” Ova spoke to the capybara woman, but he directed his words at the rest of his companions too, “This wound of my, while I may be able to still travel and go on adventure with the lot of you, it wears me down. Have you not noticed me stopping to catch my breath, to gather my strength?”

“Yes, I have noticed,” Cañar answered, slightly worried where this discussion might lead, “But it does not hinder us. We are blessed to have you with us still, Ova.”

“You are a good friend,” Rin joined in. He understood, or at least thought so, what the mandrill man was trying to say. And while he did not like the idea, he felt he needed to support his friend in his decision, “But if you are trying to say you want to settle down... And retire. Then I will help you in it as best as I can.”

“Settle? Retire?”, Suwu looked genuinely surprised. She was not expecting any of this, “Do not say that is true, Ova! What about Lór's quest? Our promise? We need you! We can not finish this without your help!”

“I...”, Ova began to reply, but then turned his eyes away from his friends in shame.

“Give him a break, Suwu!”, Rin snapped at Suwu, “If he is tired, he is tired! And if he needs to rest and retire, that is what he shall do!” The goblin then turned to Ova and continued, “You will have my support and help, if you so desire. And even if you don't, hell, I'll still help you -- like it or not.”

Suwu sighed and stood up, “It would sadden me to loose yet one more of my companions... Of my friends... But I will not stand in the way.”

“Thank you,” Ova finally got words out of his mouth, “It is great to have friends like you.”

And so it was that Ova, the mandrill man, companion and friend of the White Fountains, decided to settle in the Dipped Hills, between the hamlets of Fragrantrain and Gooddaub.

It was not the land of his birth, but it was a calm and peaceful area, still untouched by the evil of the sorcerors or the wars tearing the land. It was maybe not Waterlures, but here in the north, one could hope for no better place. For the land was teeming with wildlife, the soil was fertile and the weather was fair.

Despite Suwu's reluctance to at first accept Ova's choice, she gave in and offered to help the others secure Ova a place where he could rest his head and spend his final years. In a way, she was slightly envious of the mandrill man, but more than that, it gave her comfort to know that her dear friend would be safe.

And so once again the companions set to work.

Trees were felled for building material...

...a suitable location for Ova's home of retirement was chosen...

...and dirt was dug out for a good, comfy burrow where to build it.

23rd of Hematite, 371

A week had passed and the companions were just laying some finishing touches to Ova's new home. It was midday and the sun shone brightly from a clear sky. A warm, peaceful and wonderful day.

But that peace was interrupted, when she heard the horrified screaming of Ova from up the hill, and then Cañar's voice called out, full of distress.

“NO! NO! Rin! SUWU! Help!”, the elephant man yelled. Something was terrible amiss.

Suwu dropped what she was doing and run with such haste up the hill that she thought was not possible.

And when she reached the summit, she saw Ova and Cañar next to the small pond, staring into its waters as if petrified.

She approached them, her heart pounding and it felt like she had a huge lump in her throat.

“Rin... Rin is dead,” Ova said with a quivering voice, sounding like he could break any time soon.

Tears began to well in Suwu's eyes as she stared into the pond: Rin's lifeless body could be seen through the stagnant water, its rippling with the wind distorting the visage.

“How fragile we are...”, Cañar broke the silence as the three stood aghast, “Why? Why Rin?”

Ova fell on his knees and planted his face in his palms.

“Rin Fisthearts the Robust Flesh of Charring is really dead...”, Cañar, once again, was the only one to get any words out of his mouth. And his voice sounded broken.

In the bottom of the stagnant, murky pool of Ova's new home lay Rin Fisthearts. Unmoving. Lifeless. Dead.

His time in the Enchanted Dimensions had come to an end.

=====

Umm...

Okay. I wasn't expecting THAT.

I seriously considered save-scumming, because that happened during a "start working" phase of Adventure mode building or possibly during advfort (doesn't really matter which one, since I've had it previously happen on both).

...But then again unexpected things happening due to bugs or what-not are something that I feel are a big part of DF, and instead of always trying to work around them, I'd rather try to figure out some way to fit it into the narrative.

I mean, Rin didn't know how to swim. It's entirely possible that while he was working and the others didn't see, he slipped on that narrow wooden bridge into the water. And weighed down by his steel gear couldn't get out. And when panicking and gasping for air couldn't yell for help.

I had lots of plans for him and now they'll get scrapped, but hey, that's DF. These things happen.

Still, he was possibly my favorite character of all who've been in the story this far.

Anyway, I was supposed to continue longer today, but...

This is the place to stop this update.

So, the question is now:

How do you think the rest of the companions will react?

What will Suwu do?

What about Cañar?

And, most of all, what will Ova do? For he was certainly a good friend of Rin, and he kept all the time during our travels saying "It's good to have a friend like you" to Rin.

As a note, I'm very much ignoring the "didn't feel anything because of someone's death" parts of descriptions. I feel like the stress "fix" nerfed that part way too much, so I'm going with how characters reacted to deaths with pre 0.47.05 versions.

(And, I'm not sure if I'll continue yet tomorrow. This might need some extra thinking on my part, since this very much changes my plans. Though, it depends on your answers of what to do, too.)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 26, 2023, 03:54:56 am »

In the bottom of the stagnant, murky pool of Ova's new home lay Rin Fisthearts. Unmoving. Lifeless. Dead.

His time in the Enchanted Dimensions had come to an end.

damn. .  well done on the update, but it's not exactly a happy one..a tier-list of DF's various dangers would definitely rate "Water" as A-tier, if not s. Odd how the world WAS generated with slopes on these muddy pools, and yet Rin still drowned. Then again.. if the character A.I. operates the same as in fortress mode, I have watched dwarves actively swim away from the only ramp that will save their drowning.

Perhaps Ova takes retirement here, watching over Rin's grave until the end of his days. Not sure about the others..

As a note, I'm very much ignoring the "didn't feel anything because of someone's death" parts of descriptions. I feel like the stress "fix" nerfed that part way too much, so I'm going with how characters reacted to deaths with pre 0.47.05 versions.

yeah. the language of these descriptions requires heavy interpretation if you are trying to describe anything other than the worlds most sociopathic friendship .

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 26, 2023, 05:28:54 am »

Well damn he was the one of the last people I expected to die. I'm not sure how the characters would react since I don't know them as well as you do.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: January 26, 2023, 09:36:41 am »

damn. .  well done on the update, but it's not exactly a happy one..

Thanks!

Suwu's tale is turning to be an awfully tragic one. I've been re-reading the early Waterlures updates (about half-way through), and it's quite the contrast compared to the peaceful, daily life in the village I got used to.

Perhaps Ova takes retirement here, watching over Rin's grave until the end of his days. Not sure about the others..

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking of. If anything, I'd imagine this makes Ova ever the less enthusiastic about seeking excitement. It's something he tries to avoid, but I really haven't remembered that so often when writing the updates.

Figuring out Suwu's and Cañar's reactions, though. That'll be a bit more difficult, but I'll think of something eventually.

Well damn he was the one of the last people I expected to die.

It was quite the moment when I realised that Rin is missing from the group and I couldn't switch to control him. Took some time to figure out what had happened, and it's not exactly easy to find a body from a 3x3 map. Especially when the companion list shows his position in the wrong place.

And like with Lór's death, of course this happened just as I was about to call it for the day.

But hey, I guess this part of our story is nearing some kind of conclusion now. Took a quite unexpected and unfortunate turn, though. One by one they drop.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 28, 2023, 08:53:35 pm »

Part VIII:
Farewells

25th of Hematite, 371

In the Dipped Hills, atop a slope covered in dense grass and surrounded by trees of various kinds, stood a building of wood next to a pool of murky water.

Down the slope was a small roofed shrine with a pedestal on which was a figurine carved out of wild boar bone, depicting a rabbit: Ôsed, the goddess of the stars, the sky, the weather, nature, the sun, day, light and mountains.

Heading even further down, a hole was carved into the dirt.

And in that hole were rooms with floors of dirt and walls of wood: a humble dining hall, several storage rooms and a bedroom.

This was to be the home where Ova, the mandrill man, was supposed to spend the remainder of his years in retirement.

Yet, the unexpected and tragic death of Rin the goblin only but a few days earlier put that into question.

It was the beginning of a new day, the sun still very much rising in the east, a cool breeze blowing and the temperature altogether quite cold for the time of the year.

Suwu was sitting next to Ova on the opposite side of the tables than Cañar. They had just finished breakfast after a night of little sleep.

For in the previous evening they had finished carving out a tomb for their beloved goblin companion and laid his body to rest in a wooden casket with pedestals on both sides. The left one displayed bone figurines of Rin and the right one had a steel short sword set upon it. The sword was rather ordinary and one could easily think of it as a hastily forged weapon.

But it had seen much use and had felled many a mighty foe -- Zapas Largeflew the Lessons of Gloss, the ettin, met its doom when this sword came down upon it.

The body of Rin was clad in his clothes and steel armor, and it was covered in coins and many well-cut gems of various kinds. They were the earthly possessions of the goblin, for he had been one to have a liking for such gleaming treasures.

Ova stood up and walked next to the table, leaning on his crutch.

“Rin Fisthearts was a great traveling companion,” the mandrill man spoke, “But he was also a true friend, a kindred spirit of mine. One could hardly hope for anything more in life. Even before this journey of ours away from Waterlures we were close.”

“Indeed, Rin was a great goblin. A great man,” Cañar spoke with a solemn voice, “He may have been at points thuggish and a bully. A quarreler, if you will. But he had a good heart and it was in a good place. I am proud to be able to call him a comrade. And his passing away is a great loss.”

“It feels as if it were only yesterday when we were in the Ochre Hill, during the early days of our travels,” Ova continued looking out the narrow slit carved into the wall, “The encounters with the wolf men and women. How Rin slew one of them with such ease... And the giant keas! Do you remember how I competed with Rin which of us slew the most?”

“Yes, I remember that very clearly,” Suwu lifted her head, the memory cheering her up a bit, “Those woods were infested with the beasts. Though, nothing quite compared to the mountains next to Fencereined where our green-skinned companion took out his rage and anger upon them. Oh the amount of mangled green feathers and parrot heads littering those grounds after his rampage!”

They went on for a long time, recounting many a memory of Rin, until Suwu rose up, walked to the still and turned back to face the others.

“But what of our quest? What happens now?”, the capybara woman addressed her companions, “I did not come this far to lose my friends and hark back on them. We have lost Lór. Now Rin. And if Ova is to stick with his plan...”

She stopped. She didn't really have any idea what to say. The quest was at a turning point. If it would be just she and Cañar continuing... Well, the odds of success felt very slim. The quest was doomed to fail.

“I... I have to say,” Ova opened his mouth hesitantly, “I do intend to retire here. If anything, Rin's death made me ever the more certain of it. I do not have what it takes to head on this quest. In fact, I believe I never had it in me... No, I will remain here. Be the custodian and warden of the tomb of Rin.”

He too paused, but continued before the others could say anything, “And, I must say, I am not sorry for that decision. I should have done this in the beginning of our quest. Before we set off with Lór.”

“We will not stand in your way,” Cañar spoke up, “You have my support, whatever you choose. And it is something that Rin would have wanted.”

“No, I will not try to convince you to choose otherwise,” Suwu sighed, “My support is your's, too. Even though it now seems like our quest has failed... Me and Cañar, we cannot finish this with just the two of us.”

It was at that moment when it struck Ova.

As he went through recent events in his head, he remembered one detail, which gave him an idea.

“Suwu, Cañar,” he began as his eyes opened wide, “Do you remember the stories you told King Raqui? The one of your and Edu's travels?”

“Yes, I do,” Suwu replied, “He seemed quite fond of those stories. What about them?”

Cañar looked curiously at Ova and spoke before the mandrill man could reply, “What do you mean Ova? What is on your mind, friend?”

“I do not know why it hasn't occured to me or any of us before,” Ova explained, a hint of excitement in his voice, “But many a time we have heard the tale how Edu, along with Suwu and others who we never met, climbed up the slopes of a fiery mountain... And only now it hit me!”

“Go on, explain,” Suwu said. She had no idea what the mandrill man was getting at.

“The Fires of Yelling. A mountain filled with molten rock ready to spew fire and flame,” Ova began, motioning with his free hand, “Why hasn't it occured to us before? If there is some power in this world capable of wreaking destruction it is the fires of such a place...”

“And? Please do tell,” Cañar said. He thought he understood what the mandrill man was going for, but wanted to confirm it before voicing his thoughts.

“...And is it not that we seek to destroy something very powerful?”, Ova continued, “The slabs. The artifacts of pure evil and death. What if they were cast into the pits of the volcano, into its burning heart? Surely -- if anything -- it has to be enough to destroy them? And if not, well, I can not imagine anyone, or anything, could plunge into the fires to retrieve the vile relics of the Dark Gods.”

“Ova! You are brilliant!”, Suwu hopped up, all excited, but then slumped back onto her chair, “...But the Fires of Yelling lies far. Far, far to the south. Farther off than Inkedwhims, on the borders of the territory of the Hell of Miseries... It would be such an undertaking that me and Cañar, we could not pull it off with just the two of us.”

“Ah, but that is where you are wrong, Suwu,” Ova turned to address the capybara woman, a wide smile on his face, “For, you see, it may be that only the south has mountains billowing smoke and cinder, but it is not the only place where the flaming rock courses through the very veins of Ôsed's mountains... Do you not remember the stories of dwarfen fortresses having forges fueled by molten rock, deep within the earth? And did we not encounter such places when we cleared out Ceilingyell and Drivefloor of the beasts from a bygone age?”

They spent many an hour planning the hopefully final part of their quest -- to head to the fortresses in ruins and cast the slabs in fiery magma --, and Suwu and Cañar made sure that Ova had everything he needed when they were gone.

And indeed he had: he had a home, a comfy burrow in the dirt, and it was between two villages that remained unspoiled by the evils plagues ravaging the rest of the world. If need be, he could go to the villages to socialize and barter -- and, in fact, he would do that soon, for he promised that he would go and see the rescued prisoners left behind at Tangledwisps.

Ova named his home Bolarel, 'Grownwaters', after Rin. For Rin meant 'to grow' in the human tongue, and waters... Well, it reminded Ova of Waterlures, but it also meant the waters where his friend met his end -- something he would be seeing daily for the (hopefully) many years he had still before him.

Suwu and Cañar bid their farewells (and shed some tears) before they left.

But they promised to come back and visit Ova once their quest was completed.

Their group of five had first become four, then three, and now...

Now the White Fountains was only two:

Suwu the capybara woman and Cañar the elephant man.

A view of Bolarel, Grownwaters, and the surrounding verdant forest in the Dipped Hills.

=====

A bit of a "short" one today.

Had a couple days off and could've probably made the update longer, but I guess that's a good place to end this one.

I actually first thought there's a volcano in the northwest in an evil mountain range, but after looking closer at the map it was a mountain peak that just looked red due to the evil biome color. So, took a bit of time to think what then, since the southern volcanoes are way too far... But yeah, then I realised that of course world gen fortresses have magma forges. Or most of them. Don't actually remember if the two we cleared had any, but we'll see that once our last two adventurers get there...

I'll probably have to do some testing before the next update. Not because of the magma forges, but I'm quite certain Ova will head off either to Waterlures or Hellsieges when left alone. Want to check if I can somehow make him stay at his new home.

But anyways, looks like we're actually nearing the end.

Not sure if it'll be in any way satisfactory, but it's not like the whole story of this world and Waterlures ends there.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 29, 2023, 04:02:28 am »

Sad to see the way our group of heroes has crumbled, hopefully the last two will be able to finish their quest.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: January 29, 2023, 10:26:33 am »

Sad to see the way our group of heroes has crumbled,

It was inevitable.

hopefully the last two will be able to finish their quest.

I sure hope so! But I guess we'll see soon enough...

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 29, 2023, 09:01:25 pm »

Part IX:
Into Molten Rock

25th of Hematite, 371

It was morning when Suwu and Cañar left Grownwaters and Ova behind, still saddened by the loss of Rin and now by the slow breaking of their party.

Their quest, however, would not fail -- if it was up to the two of them left.

For Ova had given them hope with his suggestion: to head off to one of the ancient, ruined fortresses of the Mighty Ship. And there, there they would head deep into the bowels of the earth and cast the accursed slabs of the sorcerors into molten rock.

First they would head for Ceilingyell, which was not that far off from Ova's home of retirement. And if Ceilingyell did not have forges fueled by magma -- for they remembered not if they saw such --, they would head to Drivefloor to try their luck.

If neither proved to have such, well, they still had the option to head to Fencereined. But they hoped that would not be necessary. For they still feared how the elven scholars might react if they showed their faces there after their previous visit gone awry.

Heading through the Dipped Hills they soon saw mountains looming in the east: Thele Moÿira, the Mountain of Combat.

There in the foothills lay Ceilingyell, their first stop.

They did not get far into the foothills when they saw a towering, oddly-shaped column of marble rise in front of them. It loomed over the stunted trees in this area, and if Suwu's eyes didn't deceive her, there appeared to be a hole in the rock, leading into the dark.

Yet another cave they came across on their adventures.

As Suwu picked up a bracelet made of electrum from the ground, she looked up at the column and turned to Cañar.

“What do you think, Cañar?”, she asked the elephant man, “What manner of creature or beast makes its lair here? Another giant, perhaps?”

“I know not,” Cañar replied with a somewhat troubled voice, “But I do not think it would be wise of us to head in. It is only the two of us now. What if we head into something we can not handle? We are so close to the end of our quest. We best not take any unnecessary risks.”

“Hmm, you are probably right,” Suwu said. She was certainly curious and eager to see what lay inside. But her friend spoke true: if they were now struck down, whatever being residing in the cave would gain possession of not one, but two terrible artifacts.

And it was something she did not wish for.

“We can maybe come here later then,” she continued, “For now, we concentrate on taking Lór's quest to a conclusion.”

And so their journey continued.

They followed a winding brook upstream, into the mountains. The valley carved by it eased their passage, though it was not such a long distance they would have to traverse until they would arrive on the north side.

Ceilingyell was not a far way off.

It did not take long to cross the narrow extension of the mountain range. They entered the wondrous scenery of the Intricate Hill. Wild ponies were grazing on the needle grass of the highlands and stunted acacias and willows grew there with boulders of marble and rock salt scattered around.

And soon they came to the familiar green malachite walls of the fortress.

Into the deep dark they went, once again.

Both were silent during the descent, deep in their thoughts.

It was only when they reached the deepest depths of Ceilingyell that the silence was broken.

“All this violence we have seen,” the elephant man began in a hushed voice, but still it echoed in the halls of old, “There is so much of it. Pain, suffering. Why? For what end? No matter how much I think upon it, I can not understand it.”

“It is terrifying, yes,” Suwu said, “Even though it is necessary to have some discord in our lives, we should always strive to be able to live together.”

“I do not know if you are correct, Suwu,” Cañar replied, “It is bickering and discord that lead to anger. And then anger to hate, breeding violence in its wake... All I want is peace. To put an end to this.”

“Well, friend,” Suwu looked back at Cañar as they walked through the halls, “Perhaps the peace you desire is soon closer. We are almost at the forges.”

Suwu and Cañar entered the large hall that once had housed grand forges.

Now it lay in ruins: only gaping holes in the flooring remained of where once the dwarf smiths of the Mighty Ship had crafted fine weapons of old. The air was hot, the magma glowing eerily from the pits, like giant maws ready to spew the fiery contents of their bowels.

“This is it then,” Suwu said to her companion. She was feeling a mix of nervousness, excitement and relief. Their journey turned quest had been longer than any of them had anticipated. And soon, soon it would be over. All it would take was to throw those vile slabs into the fire and be rid of them, once and for all.

But she also knew it would not be the end.

Peace would not come with it. No, there was still evil lingering in the world. Things they hadn't taken care of yet. Islandfences. The tower of the necromancer Kadôl still stood, untouched. And what horrors it might contain, she knew not.

But what she knew was that it would take more than her and Cañar to defeat that evil. It would take an army. An army they had not yet built.

Cañar stepped to the pit. The red and orange glow and heat emanating from it felt almost unbearable. He strapped his trusty war hammer and shield to his back and looked at Suwu, the fires casting an ominous light on her form in the darkness.

“We have come a long way, you and I,” he said glaring at his friend, “We have stayed true to one another through these harrowing adventures, kept ourselves together. Even when the odds have been against us we have not strayed from the path Lór and Mestthos set before us...”

He paused and inhaled deeply before continuing, “And now we are at that path's end. All will be made right. We will end this evil. We will heal this world. We will bring... Peace.”

The elephant man first took out from his backpack Marcestgogol, the slab Rin had come to possess in Controlledseal. It was heavy. Heavier in the hand than it had been in his pack.

He then took out the other slab, the one from Finderblunts: Gogollomoth Uja Sutar. It, too, felt heavy. It weighed his hand down, made his muscles tire.

But he held them firmly in his grasp, not letting his strength fail him.

The limestone slab he held in his left hand looked like it pulsed a faint light. Just like it had done in Finderblunts when they found it in the topmost chamber of the tower.

Cañar shrugged his head, and twitched his flappy ear. It was as if he heard a faint whisper from somewhere.

The slab of horn silver, shaped in a manner that mocked geometry, felt cold in his right hand. But at the same time a searing heat could be felt from it. It was as if it tried to burn Cañar's flesh.

He shrugged the stinging pain away. And away it went.

It was only his imagination. The darkness and humidity combined with the burden of the quest playing tricks on him.

'CAÑAR.' A loud, terrifying voice echoed in the elephant man's head as he was about to cast the first slab into the molten rock.

He hesitated.

'CAÑAR SPIRITCOAL THE ARMORED GROOVE OF PERSUADERS, HEAR ME.' The voice boomed again in a spirit-crushing manner. The elephant man froze. He was unable to move.

'THE GOBLIN MAY HAVE FAILED ME, BUT YOU WILL NOT. I AM BAZSA. BAZSA THE SINFUL. The voice continued. Cañar could do naught but listen.

'YOU WILL NOT CAST MARCESTGOGOL INTO THE FIERY PITS. NO. FOR I AM KEY. KEY TO THE PEACE YOU SEEK.'

Cañar tried to resist. He couldn't.

'LOOK INTO ME, CAÑAR. LOOK INTO MY ARTIFACT. PEER INTO THE DARK. I WILL TEACH YOU THE SECRETS... OF PEACE.'

“What is it Cañar?”, Suwu asked with uneasiness in her voice. The elephant man had suddenly stopped in his tracks after he had pulled the slabs out.

He was staring blankly across the gaping pit into the darkness. His eyes looked empty, as if his mind was somewhere else. Why was the elephant man hesitating? Why did he linger? Why did he not just cast those slabs into the fires and get over with all of this!?

She then noticed the elephant man's head slowly turn to the right. Towards Marcestgogol.

“NO!”, Suwu screamed as she leapt towards her companion.

But she was too slow.

The elephant man's eyes were affixed to the slab. Peering deep. Deep into its depths.

Lured by its power.

Suwu grabbed the slab in the elephant man's left hand and tried to wrench it from his grasp.

But it was of no use. Cañar was far too powerful for her. She was no match for his enormous strength.

The elephant man pushed her to the ground.

“Cañar, no!”, Suwu yelled at her companion as tears began to form in her eyes. There was an empty, unholy glow in her friend's gaze. It was as if all manner of compassion and empathy had left the once kind and just elephant man.

The towering hulk then bore down on her as she lay on the floor.

“Stop it Cañar!”, she screamed at him.

To no avail.

As the elephant man tried to grab her by the throat, the nimble capybara woman dodged by jumping out of the way.

But it was the last thing Suwu did.

The capybara woman hadn't paid attention to her surroundings in the sudden heat of the moment.

And that heat got ever the more intense when she leapt, leapt in the direction of the gaping hole in the floor.

Her fur and clothes burst into flame from the heat emanating from below, long before she fell into the molten rock.

A piercing shriek of agony and sheer terror resounded and echoed through the deepest halls of Ceilingyell.

Then silence fell.

Flame, soot and cinder was all that remained.

And an elephant man staring into the fire, emotionless, both hands carrying a slab of pure evil and unholy power.

The White Fountains were no more and with it, Lór's quest had failed.

The Dark Gods had won.

=====

It was inevitable.

That is then the conclusion of Suwu's adventures and Lór's quest, which failed in the end.

I did have it planned for a long time that if the adventurers ever get to a volcano/magma there has to be some kind of corrupting influence taking hold of someone. It is inevitable. And with only two heroes left and Cañar being the one carrying the slabs, I picked him to get corrupted.

However, I did not dodge into the magma. That was the doing of DF. The companionship of Cañar and Suwu was broken the moment I initiated combat with wrestling, and since I was controlling Cañar, Suwu became AI-controlled.

And naturally dodged into the fire. (Probably a "better" end than being slain by her friend and raised as undead, which was one possible way to go.)

What happens next to Cañar, well, for now it will be off-screen.

I'll do some other off-screen stuff too at the same time before passing the save. I'll probably do a short update on that, but I expect it to take several days.

Anyways, once I'm done, who'd like to take an adventurer turn? After that, we'll return to Waterlures proper (hopefully).

@AvolitionBrit? @Salmeuk? Someone else?

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 29, 2023, 09:23:00 pm »

Can do but will wait a few days, a tad under the weather and if someone else wants to do something.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 29, 2023, 09:44:05 pm »

No worries, it'll anyway take some days before I get the save up.

Oh, forgot to mention that there was something weird going on with the slabs and their placement. There was some mention of them in errorlog.txt:

Code: [Select]
patching corruption: item off-loaded and also in play: Gogollomoth Uja Sutar
Didn't pay attention to that until I tested and dropped one on the floor. And there was nothing there to see or pick. But if you used 'look', you could see it was there. You just couldn't interact with it. So, I reloaded the save and tested putting them on a pedestal on display, and then they started working normally and the errorlogs stopped.

Haven't checked if that's a known issue or if it's just something related to messing with raws/using dfhack, but just saying that if your adventurers get their hands on slabs, there might be some weirdness happening after retiring and unretiring.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 30, 2023, 05:07:34 am »

It was inevitable, and a depressing way for the adventure to end.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 31, 2023, 12:08:33 am »

that was actually quite the epic finale. also I got Terminator 2 vibes

The capybara woman hadn't paid attention to her surroundings in the sudden heat of the moment.

And that heat got ever the more intense when she leapt, leapt in the direction of the gaping hole in the floor.

Her fur and clothes burst into flame from the heat emanating from below, long before she fell into the molten rock.

A piercing shriek of agony and sheer terror resounded and echoed through the deepest halls of Ceilingyell.

Then silence fell.

I am a bit busy for an adventure turn. they take up more of my attention that fortress mode, surprisingly - I find that in order to construct grand adventures you must pay very close attention, and I seem to lack that as of late.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 31, 2023, 11:00:46 am »

that was actually quite the epic finale. also I got Terminator 2 vibes

Thanks! I'll take that T2 mentioning as a compliment. :)

I am a bit busy for an adventure turn. they take up more of my attention that fortress mode, surprisingly - I find that in order to construct grand adventures you must pay very close attention, and I seem to lack that as of late.

Yeah, adventure mode can get quite taxing when doing a write-up. There's so much more info accessible in it than with fort mode (though, I guess technically the same information is in both modes, but fort mode just doesn't display it normally; e.g., discussions between characters, day time, etc.).

I'll have to admit that while I enjoyed this whole adventure part and waited to see where it goes, I'm sort of relieved that it's concluded. It was quite draining in a way.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 31, 2023, 03:20:22 pm »

Feeling better so if no one else wants to i can play an adventure :)
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 31, 2023, 03:55:38 pm »

Feeling better so if no one else wants to i can play an adventure :)

I'll upload the save tomorrow, so feel free to take the turn when you're up for it. :)

Also, there's still issues with the two slabs (and an artifact weapon) that Cañar has: it looks like if I drop them or put them on a pedestal or anything, it creates an invisible duplicate and the originals (?) remain in his backpack. No idea what to do about it, but it's possibly something that we'll have to deal with if someone else tries to acquire the slabs from him. I think the issue began after/during the construction of Hellsieges, maybe when the site was off-loaded/re-loaded while building commenced?

I'll see if I can do anything about it, but my DFHack skills are barely even dabbling, so if I don't find any instructions on what to do, it's best I don't mess around any more.

(Pretty sure actually that it wouldn't have worked to throw the slabs in magma because of this issue.)
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 48