Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another Request Thread: Ritual Magic  (Read 1299 times)

Rabek Jeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Another Request Thread: Ritual Magic
« on: November 29, 2008, 07:22:21 pm »

Hokay. While the asking about organic tech didn't really get what I was looking for, it did get me to try Alpha Centauri, which was well worth it.

So! Here's another one for you all. Games with ritual-based magic systems of some kind.

The closest I've seen was some pay-to-play MUD that I didn't want to pay for, and a few mini-quests in Neverwinter Nights. I guess Masters of Magic _might_ count, but that isn't exactly what I'm talking about.

So, any of you have any experiences with this? I'm talking magic circles, chanting words, wands and athames type stuff, ideally.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Another Request Thread: Ritual Magic
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 07:27:40 pm »

Black and White, obviously.  All the commands were based on mouse movements.

You've also got King's Quest from back in the day, with it's magic brews.  Ultima 8 did the same sort of thing, don't know about others in the series.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Rabek Jeris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 07:48:55 pm »

Hmm. The latter two are closer, and seem somewhat interesting.

I never could get into Black and White. Far too clunky an interface.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2008, 10:51:54 am »

Well, Master of Magic had some ritual magic.

A few MUDs have it too, but yeah, we could use more of it.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 11:33:34 am »

Dammit, there was an old multiplayer RTS that I played a demo to a long time ago that actually incorporated ritual magic.  I remember pulling together three darkelf warlocks around a pentagram to call down a meteor storm or something.  I can't remember what it was called though.

Damn, that game even had goblins that could shoot electricity while mounted on bear-dogs.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2008, 01:16:16 pm »

Ultima 8: Pagan featured ritual magic among its 4 or so magic systems. It featured putting different coloured candles and ingredients around a pentagram according to some spellbook. Though the problem was that the game was pretty picky about whether or not something was in its place. Also, the pentagrams were static, you couldn't make your own, you just had to rely on the game to leave one where you needed it if you wanted to use that particular brand of magic.

While this was a pretty minor element, Netstorm's method of killing the enemy priest featured your priest tying the priest to a sort of ritual altar, reciting a chant releasing 5 seals of sorts, which resulted in the enemy priest dropping into some abyss.

Dominions, I think much like Master of Magic, has global enchantments done in rituals, some even using live blood sacrifices. But this goes on off-screen, so you won't actually see any of it.