Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5790 5791 [5792] 5793 5794 ... 10986

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13380876 times)

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #86865 on: September 30, 2015, 05:34:54 am »

What's the full story re: birth of AllTheTropes and why TVTropes got shit?
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86866 on: September 30, 2015, 05:54:10 am »

TL;DR version is that TvTropes suddenly and without warning changed their policy, claiming that all user-submitted material was their intellectual property, despite, if I remember correctly, changing such a policy like that nullifies it. This caused a break, were somebody decided to pull as much as they could from the TvTropes servers and used that to found AllTheTropes - something that might have been illegal, although it's difficult to say since what TvTropes did was illegal too.

At least, that's how I read it as.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86867 on: September 30, 2015, 06:14:36 am »

TL;DR version is that TvTropes suddenly and without warning changed their policy, claiming that all user-submitted material was their intellectual property, despite, if I remember correctly, changing such a policy like that nullifies it. This caused a break, were somebody decided to pull as much as they could from the TvTropes servers and used that to found AllTheTropes - something that might have been illegal, although it's difficult to say since what TvTropes did was illegal too.

At least, that's how I read it as.

Actually, ATT has subsequently reconstructed everything without using any material directly copied from TVT (or so they claim).

There was also the issue of censorship. The official line from TVT was that it was imposed by Google with the threat of ads being pulled. IIRC it originated with people from SA trolling TVT by sending advertisers screenshots with their ads on pages with borderline sexual content, but there's been SJW undertones for years. The advertising shitstorm gave an excuse for a lot of the crappy mods and admins to start banning dissenters while also affording the SJW types a chance to push for heavier censorship.

It's honestly sad, considering that it was a (somewhat shit) joke site that is now being run by a cabal of morons who take it completely seriously. That, and the way it subtly encourages dull, cliched writing and thought--if you think that potholing a link to a trope page is interesting or deep, there might not be much left to save. That's not really the fault of the abusive mods or pro-censorship crowd, though.

But yes, those two factors combined are why it was forked, and why the fork is both completely reliant on donation to stay afloat (Orain was, incidentally, a charity service that hosted wikis for free), as well as why ATT is very specific about the type of license they operate under. Just your friendly neighborhood jerk reminding you now that TVT is run by assholes for assholes these days.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #86868 on: September 30, 2015, 06:58:42 am »

subtly
That shit wasn't "subtle" at all. It was quite disconcerting to see dozens of people on a sub-forum dedicated to creative writing engaging in fitting everything around, including themselves, into tropes. "Creativity" for those people apparently meant something very different from the common definition...
._.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #86869 on: September 30, 2015, 06:59:58 am »

First the social justice warriors took over gaming journalism, and I did not speak out - because I do not read gaming journalism. Then they took over Reddit, and I did not speak out - because I am not a Redditor. Then they came for Twitch.TV, and I did not speak out - because I do not watch gaming streams. Then they took over TVTropes, and there was no one left to speak for This Troper.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #86870 on: September 30, 2015, 07:02:28 am »

Eh, I don't think tropes encourage cliched writing, it's simple, at the density of tropes those sites have, you can't be totally original, as everything can be traced to one trope or another.
Though you can still use them creatively or have interesting characters and such.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #86871 on: September 30, 2015, 07:05:56 am »

Eh, I don't think tropes encourage cliched writing, it's simple, at the density of tropes those sites have, you can't be totally original, as everything can be traced to one trope or another.
Though you can still use them creatively or have interesting characters and such.
They do if you copy-paste them whole-sale without having any idea why you're doing it.

It's like, you can't be totally original, but there's still a difference between an story inspired by some classic and an outright plagiarism of said classic.
._.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #86872 on: September 30, 2015, 07:07:40 am »

They do if you copy-paste them whole-sale without having any idea why you're doing it.

It's like, you can't be totally original, but there's still a difference between an story inspired by some classic and an outright plagiarism of said classic.
But you shouldn't blame that on a site that just made those things more visible, people who wrote cliched trite were probably always going to write cliched trite, whether or not they could specifically search for the trope they wanted to round off their crap story.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #86873 on: September 30, 2015, 07:20:58 am »

But you shouldn't blame that on a site that just made those things more visible, people who wrote cliched trite were probably always going to write cliched trite, whether or not they could specifically search for the trope they wanted to round off their crap story.
If anything, it's the other way around. A lot of cliche writing is not consciously trying to be trite, it's just blissfully unaware that what they wrote was done before a million times better or has thoroughly been discredited. You don't blame composers for using music theory either, do you?

Knowing the common story elements opens up more possibilities, since you can knowingly mess with them and get something new.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86874 on: September 30, 2015, 07:45:35 am »

While there certainly was A LOT of weird and shady stuff in the old TVTropes (the TroperTales on incest and lolicon were specially disturbing), fasteddie did really kind of arbitrarily remove anything he thought would cause Google to pull their ads, which means a lot of stuff that was actualy related to a certain work, from anime to literature, got pulled. Today TVTropes is mostly just an anime and TV series catalogue with some occasional info on other media and much more limited scope.

I'm not sure if the whole "Something Awful/Ebaums people sent google bad screenshots to take TVTropes down" thing is entirely true, and even if it is, they sure didn't need make up anything to get TVTropes in trouble with google. Really, anyone could just browse a tropertales page, take a screenshot and send it to google. If anything it was an SJW clique of sorts, who then blamed it exclusively on SA.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #86875 on: September 30, 2015, 07:49:14 am »

(the TroperTales on incest and lolicon were specially disturbing)

DAMN YOU MORBID CURIOUSITY!
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86876 on: September 30, 2015, 07:51:58 am »

There is a more or less complete archive of the deleted tropertales somewhere on the internet, but linking it here would probably get me punted by the banhammer.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86877 on: September 30, 2015, 07:57:44 am »

How come every umbrella I've ever owned gets destroyed by the slightest breeze?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #86878 on: September 30, 2015, 08:27:56 am »

How come every umbrella I've ever owned gets destroyed by the slightest breeze?

The easiest way out is not to own one. I rely on a rainjacket and faith that God will make it stop raining whenever I leave the house instead.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86879 on: September 30, 2015, 08:35:00 am »

Ironically that's pretty much what I do :P
Though usually I pray for light rain.  Getting rained on just a little feels nice.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 5790 5791 [5792] 5793 5794 ... 10986