Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: No more all-directional ramps  (Read 6264 times)

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
Re: No more all-directional ramps
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2009, 07:25:12 am »

12?
You get 256  possibilities by imagining the ramp(s) sloping up to a halfway point at each lower part, and then sloping up from there to each upper direction. Even better(for the 3D visualizers), this would be modular.

And what I was talking about all the time is ditching all those unnecessary types of ramps and only leaving the 12 basic types.
<3

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2009, 09:17:24 am »

12?
You get 256  possibilities by imagining the ramp(s) sloping up to a halfway point at each lower part, and then sloping up from there to each upper direction. Even better(for the 3D visualizers), this would be modular.

And what I was talking about all the time is ditching all those unnecessary types of ramps and only leaving the 12 basic types.

12?

North
North-East
East
South-East
South
South-West
West
North-West

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.

I see 8.

Also, Re: 256
It's not 256.  For every spot that has the slop up to the middle it can't go back in that direction, as there's no wall.  At best, you have 64 unique ramps (8 direction in a 2-bit toggle: up or down).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2009, 09:20:25 am »

I should state however, even if it is a one way ramp you can easily step onto it from the sides.

So ramps really should just have Three dirrections they cannot be climbed from.

Also... RAMPS ARE THE MOST ANNOYING PART OF ADVENTURE MODE EVER!

Sorry about that outburst :P truthfully I have tried climbing temples only to be annoyed so much trying to get down that I commited suicide.

Interestingly I survived one time and had a successful career as a no legged adventurer who strangles everyone to death.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2009, 10:02:35 am »

I'm still not seeing any reason to HAVE these ramps sitting on their own.

To what purpose? ...looking pretty for visualizations? The dwarves certainly wouldn't get any use out of it.

And that seems an awfully narrow reason to throw in an extra layer of complexity to an already-complex game. For general use of ramps, I still don't see any reason that simplifying and clarifying them wouldn't be the way to go.

I could see using constructed ramps as dragon's teeth if mobile siege engines enter the game, but I also don't see why constructed walls or fortifications wouldn't do the job just as well. Or even something that can be rigged to a mechanism, to pop up at need and retract during peaceful times to let wagons in.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2009, 10:08:04 am »

I should state however, even if it is a one way ramp you can easily step onto it from the sides.

So if you can easily step onto it from the sides, every time, then it doesn't matter, does it?

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
<3

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2009, 12:00:14 pm »

Ah, yes, I see.

However, if you're doing a series of "platforms" from the middle of the height of the tile, you can do all 12 permutations by toggling the sections up or down.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 12:09:09 pm by Draco18s »

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2009, 03:20:02 pm »

a series of "platforms" from the middle of the height of the tile

I'm having a problem understanding how that would look
<3

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2009, 08:27:34 pm »

Draw a half-height octagon.

Devide the surrounding area into 8 slices. In each slice, place either a ramp up, or a ramp down.

Also, it IS 256, not 64. It's 2^8 not 8². Each direction(of 8) is one of two states. Each bit in a computer is one of two states. There are 8 directions, each of two states. There are 8 bits in a byte, each 0 or 1. A byte ranges from 0 to 255, a total of 256 states. Thus, there are 256 possible ramp combinations, excepting glitches that make a ramp one-way. Or I misunderstand the whole concept of an abstract object whose true form is never revealed.

Also, each direction could be one of THREE states(up, down, and across to another ramp) in a more complex model, giving 81² possibilities. This would be up to the visualizer-creator or Tarn to decide.
Eh?
Eh!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 15, 2009, 12:57:50 am »

Also, it IS 256, not 64. It's 2^8 not 8². Each direction(of 8) is one of two states.

Good catch.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]