Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10987 10988 [10989]

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13447631 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #164820 on: Today at 12:04:59 pm »

I've got three separate customers who have either a) fucked up their own accounting b) need us to investigate their accounting or c) aren't happy with the way accounting is currently configured.

I'm not a bookkeeper. I'm not a CPA. I'm barely even capable of college math.

I fucking hate this. I fucking hate that we sign up people who need accounting done and no one takes responsibility for it, so it falls to me to be the responsible one, answer all questions and fix all problems.

I'm going to bring this up in my review with work. I've been doing this for a decade and frankly I'm sick of being used as someone's bargain bin accountant. I'm not qualified, have never been qualified and I'm fed up with having hot steaming piles of data work dropped in my lap by people who take no responsibility for how this shit is configured.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:41:18 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #164821 on: Today at 02:05:52 pm »

Bro, if you've been doing it regularly for a decade, you're basically an accountant now even if you dont have formal training. You bullshitted your way into real-world experience in something you wouldnt be allowed to do otherwise, thats a win, and you can leverage it for better than minumum wage in your workplace. When you bring it up you should demand a raise and promotion to official accountant or finance consultant if they won't hire someone else or refuse to assist clients with finances.

My workplace has also been full of bullshit. The manager and assistant manager are fighting, having hissy fits over every little thing. Like the manager has been forgetting to take the bathroom and supply closet keys out of his pocket when he goes home early every day, then yelling at the whole crew in the text chat (which he does for every complaint he has.) for not cleaning the bathrooms properly. Because, you know, we can't access the employee bathroom or cleaning supplies. Now there's some shit about the assistant manager isn't allowed to work back in the warehouse. So nobody's taking out the trash. It's just piling up in the back room, because Mr. Manager won't do it, the assistant manager isn't allowed to, and nobody else is allowed to. Like, we are explicitly forbidden to take trash out by corporate. I gotta get a hold of the district manager
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164822 on: Today at 03:17:13 pm »

Like, we are explicitly forbidden to take trash out by corporate. I gotta get a hold of the district manager

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

Is this the norm in adult life? Should I be worried?
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164823 on: Today at 03:49:05 pm »

Bro, if you've been doing it regularly for a decade, you're basically an accountant now even if you dont have formal training. You bullshitted your way into real-world experience in something you wouldnt be allowed to do otherwise, thats a win, and you can leverage it for better than minumum wage in your workplace. When you bring it up you should demand a raise and promotion to official accountant or finance consultant if they won't hire someone else or refuse to assist clients with finances.

Luckily I make significantly more than minimum wage. But I'm going to add this to laundry list of responsiblities I handle (management, high level customer contacts, implementations, training...) to argue for another significant pay increase. As far as making it "official" fuck no. You can't be "official" in anything in regards to finances without some accreditation. I have no interest in the "certified" part of this process. Really, our issue is that we've limped along and helped bridge the accounting gap with SOME customers, but then we sign up less sophisticated businesses who only have bookkeepers and they don't understand our software, just their own books and basic accounting, which then puts the pressure on us to "be the experts."

You're right though. What we need is an accounting consultant who can answer the question "how do I run my business from an accounting perspective" and who also understands what our software does. Unfortunately the only people that fit into that equation are our own customer's bookkeepers and I don't think any of them are interested in moonlighting as consultants, they already have plenty of shit to do.

In truth what we need is documented policy on what we will, and won't do, as part of setting up their business and draw lines in the sand where their lack of expertise becomes billable hours ON TOP of buying our software.

Like, we are explicitly forbidden to take trash out by corporate. I gotta get a hold of the district manager

Holy. Fucking. Shit.

Is this the norm in adult life? Should I be worried?

Bruh you have no idea. School projects in high school and college, learning to work collaboratively with people? Yeah, guess what, being a 30 year old professional is literally no different than those settings: there are people who get shit done and there are people who actively try to stay on the side lines while still getting credit for participating. The only differences between childhood and adulthood is you have money and autonomy (if things went your way) and the ego of being an adult. Otherwise, adults are functionally no different from highschoolers or college students.
« Last Edit: Today at 04:23:09 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164824 on: Today at 03:55:13 pm »

Otherwise, adults are functionally no different from highschoolers or college students.

Nonono, I already know that. I've seen enough anectodes to know that.

What I am trying to figure out is the fact that Eric literally cannot do their job. Like, they cannot do it because the person that tells them what to do is actively preventing the thing that he tells them to do. Doesn't it ever occurs to that person that maybe their remarkably stupid actions are to blame?
« Last Edit: Today at 03:57:17 pm by Magmacube_tr »
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #164825 on: Today at 04:01:50 pm »

It's not common it gets as bad as corporate telling you that you literally can't take out the trash or perform some vital aspect of your job, as far as I'm aware. It does happen, sometimes, for reasons ranging from liability to corporate brainrot, but it's usually not quite that bad. It's a possibility but not something you're super likely to keep running into.

In less serious wtf, something or another has decided to leave a cat tail on my porch.

And not, like. The plant. No. Not the plant.

I don't know where the rest of the presumably dead cat this tail came from is, possibly eaten I'unno. But something certainly left part of it outside my house.
« Last Edit: Today at 04:04:41 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164826 on: Today at 04:03:26 pm »

Only children or adults without children think that adults act the same as children.  There are indeed real physiological differences that do manifest.  I do grant, though, that it can be difficult to see in some cultures due to the ways that certain behaviors have been reinforced.  Note also that being an adult doesn't always correlate to any specific age, it's defined by the behavioral changes.  It's also worth noting that there's a difference between "adult" in the sense of "can now bear children" versus "adult" in the sense of "now has the capacity and willpower to act unselfishly."

- - -

That said - not being allowed to take out the trash sounds like a union or liability thing.  If it's not that then man you have some stamina or really odd extenuating circumstances to continue staying where you are.  At the very least it sounds like you should be able to start consulting or something on your own.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #164827 on: Today at 04:08:56 pm »

Note also that being an adult doesn't always correlate to any specific age, it's defined by the behavioral changes.
i have seen nothing in real life that actually corroborates that statement ahaha

Any case, I'm pretty sure it's actually defined, such as it is, by physical development, which may or may not result in substantive behavioral changes.

Generally that correlates most strongly with age than anything to do with behavior. Using a specific year is administrative nonsense to ease paperwork, but the general ~somewhere in the 20s~ is about as close to on point as we get, far as I've noticed.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164828 on: Today at 04:20:53 pm »

Also no one was comparing adults to literal children. But thanks for putting your two cents in as a parent, and telling us what we already knew.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #164829 on: Today at 04:55:08 pm »

It doesn’t take a genius to understand that if you physically can’t access something (without causing damage to a door or whatever) that it’s not going to be interacted with for good or ill.

It sounds like the manager is trying to set the assistant up to take a fall, tbph. If you can get in touch with their higher-ups, if any, relatively anonymously, probably would be a good idea before it gets completely out of hand.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 10987 10988 [10989]