Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1215769 times)

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile

Holey cheese and carp!
Really amazing work. Love the z-level below effect, the tweaked doors, cut gems, etc!
Can't wait to have some time to sit down with .09 + this tileset.

Personal opinion time!
Not sure about the star-gems or the new ore tile (A little too hard to read?).
I prefer the old mini-table chair to the weird perspective one. Think you mentioned the chairs were an experiment, but yeah.
The current column is too hard to identify and I don't like the look of it. I don't mind it being square, but maybe try something more like Phoebus'?
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Prastary

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As with everything its entirely subjective, no matter what I do some people will like it, others will hate it :)

Yes, I stopped using the updates because I don't like your style. Its sad that you and Ironhand don't make two independent tilesets, so we can choose the best. But hey - its just me, I see that most people here like it so keep up the good work.

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Opinion coming through!
Remains I thing a pile of bones represents it better than just skulls, especially we have skulls as remains. If a dwarf hacks all the legs of a spider off, it's looking strange when there are skulls flying around.
Star shaped gems Unusual, but i thing i could like them.
New stone and ore tiles Like the stone, could be more irregular, though. Remember it's used for lakes, too! Fuzzy ore tile: No. Don't like it at all, sorry
Beds Too much perspective for my taste
Chairs All looking to the left...? I don't know...
New engraved floors Great!
Square pillar Like it.
Z-Level below Splendid! A bit dark, though.

@Prastary:
I had an idea:
Everyone has suggestions about the tiles, some like this, some that.
What about we make an installer/setup program that lets us choose different tiles for beds, then pillars and so on?
Including the icon and screenshots, so you see what they look like.
The program then patches together the png according to the user's choices.
It's not that hard to program and when my exams are over next month, I could do this.
(Well, at least the patching - I'm not that good with GUIs.
But that could be done by a generic install wizard that creates a config that my patcher uses... Hmm. Not so hard after all :D).

Prastary

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What about we make an installer/setup program that lets us choose different tiles for beds, then pillars and so on?

I just copy and paste the tiles that I like to the png with some graphical program, but it certainly would help some computer beginners.

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just copy and paste the tiles that I like to the png with some graphical program, but it certainly would help some computer beginners.

Exactly my thoughts. It also makes things a bit less tedious and we could have more alternatives.

Flick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, how do I change the 0.42 version to work with DF 31.10?
I know that I have to change some of the ini-files, but which?

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile

Hey guys! I home!

Yay, look at all this new stuff!

I LOVE the next-z-level thing. That is SO awesome.
I'm gonna go get my hands on that this afternoon.
Also 0.31.10. I'll start working on 0.43 right away.

WormSlayer, old bean. I think I'll do some sifting:
I'm not really a fan of the beds or the chairs.
And I'm not sure I'm a fan of the new stone and gems either.
I do absolutely love the engraved floors, though.
And the open space tiles.

Anyway, today I'm gonna breathe and rest, but I might get some stuff done too.
Tomorrow I've got some medical stuff, so keep me in your prayers.

I should be able to put out 0.43 later this week.

TealThanatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (back!)
« Reply #1282 on: July 11, 2010, 08:05:35 am »

Welcome back Ironhand!

I agree with you, the beds and chairs, whilst cool in their own right, don't mesh with the set... it's that whole 'mixing perspective' thing we discussed a few pages back I think... it's gotta be one way or the other, a mix of the two just makes things awkward :)

That's why I like the two of you working together to be honest. Ironhands ideas are great, Wormslayers ideas are great, meshed together you form an... alloy of greatness ;)

Ironhand is the... iron ;) and Wormslayer is the other elements... the result... STEEL!

Keep putting your heads together fella's and working your way towards the best tileset to grace Dwarf Fortress!

Can't wait to get my hands on 0.43!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: July 11, 2010, 10:11:17 am »

I think the idea of having an alternative tileset : a default Ironhand one, and a WormSlayer/Ironhand mix in the download is a good idea, as for those that can't merge bits of their favorite tilesets together in some graphic program, it would satisfy those that prefer the original Ironhand version, and those that would like to use the WormSlayer edits of it.

Take care guys, you're both doing a really good work.

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com

Welcome back IH, hope everything is good with you! Check your email for Dwarf Spam :)

Sorry to hear you dont like my style Prastary, but you can always cut out my tiles and paste in whatever you prefer! Maybe Vince will make an awesome tile manager program and you wont even have to do that :)

Loads of feedback, yay!

Remains: The current tile (copied from Phoebus' set?) is a skull and (I think) ribcage? Which is also pretty unlike a spider leg or any of the hundreds of other things it could be... I think IH said he had an idea for this tile?

Gems: I prefer the rough ones I did before, but nobody else liked them and someone suggested star shapes?

Stone & Ore: I'm not overly fond of the current ore, I think it should be a variation on the stone tile. In the cold light of day spiky blob ore does look a bit crap though! My stone is the same size as the current one! Didnt realise it was used for lakes too. :)

Beds: I have spent *so long* trying different things with the beds... I'm open to suggestions!

Tables & Chairs: Even I dont think the chairs look good, I just havent gotten back round to working on them some more yet. Nobody has complained about the tables? Guess I managed to make them close enough to IH's ones :P

Z-Level Below: Getting the brightness just right is hard! These tiles absolutely *have* to be darker than any floor tiles, but messing around at the low end of the scale is made doubly tricky because people have different monitor brightness and contrast settings - It looks fine on my brand new LCD screen, but is probably not even visible on someone's old CRT... O.o

Some kind of tile manager/merger program would probably be useful for those people less comfortable with hacking up tilesheets! Maybe it could resize tiles and mosh together different sets depending on personal preference?

TealThanatos: I think I'm supposed to be Carbon in that analogy :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 12:32:48 pm by WormSlayer »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: July 11, 2010, 12:45:39 pm »

There already is a tile masher program, but it outputs BMPs, iirc. I don't think I considered PNG's alpha channel when making Modbase.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: July 11, 2010, 01:53:17 pm »

For the gems, maaaybe have them look like stones, but more angular? Then they wouldn't look like regular rocks or finished gems.

For the z-level thing, you probably can't, but hypothetically could you make each successive z-level darker than the last? Probably only a 1-z-level thing tho. :P

Wavecutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: July 11, 2010, 02:27:21 pm »

Brainstorm! Picture this, instead of making individual food bits look like food crates, why not make them look like food plates
We farm and kill mermaid children. Its too late to worry about political correctness.

Urist McFail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: July 11, 2010, 02:30:18 pm »

For the beds, perhaps a japanese style pillow roll. What about an animal skin for the blankets?

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #1289 on: July 11, 2010, 03:14:15 pm »

Only the current z-level and some info about the level below is ever displayed, unless Toady changes that there isnt much more we can do.

Gems are still under construction, we shall see what can be done...

I was originally going to do little food plates or pies or something, but since they represent several meals stored in one container and are almost always seen just sitting in a stockpile I chose crates to compliment the barrels.

I did a flat bed a few pages back that one guy thought looked like a futon. I did try a variety of things for the bed covers but its so small the detail just turns into a blur. I'm not done yet though!

Bigger rocks, less spiky minerals:
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 329