Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1215913 times)

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (back!)
« Reply #1335 on: July 12, 2010, 03:27:27 pm »

May as well just mirror the gem cutters workshop tile?

You could, I suppose... but I feels like it's wasting a space that could be used for greater variety.  Eh, maybe I'll whip something up when my next adventurer dies.

Randomtask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: July 12, 2010, 04:06:13 pm »

Hi guys, longtime player, longtime lurker.

Love the graphics set, IH and WS.

I'm posting because I have a question/idea regarding Tile Magic.

For ages, DF graphics sets have had an issue with displaying both the graphic representation of, say, a jeweller's workshop, and the text for which the ascii actually stands, such as: [{]}

I know that the raws are used to call different colors for vermin and trees, but is there no way to use Tile Magic to make DF display proper ascii symbols where appropriate? By, say, covering up the symbol in the way a tattoo artist might take that drunken splotch of ink that reads "I love Ben" and turn it into "I love Beer."

Example (Warning, I am not an artist. At all.):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Magical, Isn't it?

I have a horrible feeling that the answer to this is: We already thought of that, obviously, and no it can't be done. But I have to ask.

Ladde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: July 12, 2010, 04:18:27 pm »

Does 31.08 work for 31.10?
I'm not so used to this tile thingy :)

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #1338 on: July 12, 2010, 04:40:38 pm »

You could, I suppose... but I feels like it's wasting a space that could be used for greater variety.  Eh, maybe I'll whip something up when my next adventurer dies.

Well it doesnt really affect vanilla DF apart from the forbid menu but I dunno maybe I'll redo it :D

I'm posting because I have a question/idea regarding Tile Magic...

... Words ... :D

Ironhand already does this with a few tiles like frog/squirrel but I dont know how well it would work for everything, the game is funny about where it allows you to specify colours. Your best bet is to go vote up "full graphics support" :)

Does 31.08 work for 31.10?
I'm not so used to this tile thingy :)
You may be able to get it working if your not adverse to getting your hands dirty, but Ironhand should have a new version up soon!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 04:45:57 pm by WormSlayer »

Randomtask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: July 12, 2010, 04:59:49 pm »

Ironhand already does this with a few tiles like frog/squirrel but I dont know how well it would work for everything, the game is funny about where it allows you to specify colours. Your best bet is to go vote up "full graphics support" :)

Done.

And I know IH does it with a few creature tiles, but the graphics-as-symbols issue was something I'd wondered if he'd considered already. It would be an elegant solution, if it worked.

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #1340 on: July 12, 2010, 05:19:31 pm »

In theory if you can get the palettes all set up right it would work and be super awesome, but it would be a lot of work, I prefer to hope for unique tiles for everything :)

So I added some teeth to the hacksaw :P

And totally remade ore once again:

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: July 12, 2010, 05:26:01 pm »

I feel like we maybe have to use ☼ for uncut gems... I could be wrong.
But I know we don't have to use it for loose coal.

Harmonica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: July 12, 2010, 05:58:09 pm »

You can change all the icons for minerals that are stuck in the walls and minerals that have been carved out. You'll see in the raws, the lines saying [TILE:] and [ITEM SYMBOL] (or whatever the correct language is.

Before you guys started I was working out differentiating minerals from one another, and through trial and error I lumped with creating a few select symbols for the special minerals like gold and others which come out in nuggets. Useless minerals I stuck with the same tile, which was much smaller and insignificant.

You probably do need a symbol that sticks out and looks special, but I compromised and made it look less like a * and more like a lump of minerally rock (in a skewed * shape).

Your lumpy rock icon is much better than anything I was able to achieve.

Also: about the doors with stupid colours, why not just adjust the colours for those minerals in the raws.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 06:00:15 pm by Harmonica »

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: July 12, 2010, 06:25:51 pm »

&

Psh.

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: July 12, 2010, 06:37:13 pm »

Hey, one thing we could use would be a generic pile of rags/clothes.
To be used for armor, clothing, and everything that can be grouped there.
That's also boots, gloves, hats... but I think a bundled up cloth would work.
Curse you! I've been putting off this one because its so many different things! I'll have a go though, the current one is looking more and more out of place...
Maybe it could just be a generic sack looking thing? I mean, if you're gonna carry around a pile of clothing you're not gonna be, like, holding a shirt at arms length... :P Plus you could use that same sack for other, you know, sack-ish things, or just as a generic "this contains various objects" tile.

Wavecutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: July 12, 2010, 06:40:05 pm »

Some inspiration for ore:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 06:42:15 pm by Wavecutter »
We farm and kill mermaid children. Its too late to worry about political correctness.

Urist McFail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: July 12, 2010, 06:46:00 pm »

Could you differentiate ore by drawing lumps of it in a container, like protruding from a half barrel or coal sack? I know it doesnt make sense in that the dwarfs dont carry around half barrels with handles or sacks whilst mining, but with talk of new features like mine carts and all, it may be possible to leave our literal minds.

I'm sure I have seen images where miners would fill baskets to haul up ladders and shafts.
http://www.spencerstirling.com/0505kennecott/13bucket.jpg
http://www.thepeakdistrict.info/images/owdmanwirksworthsmall.jpg
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 06:52:51 pm by Urist McFail »

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #1347 on: July 12, 2010, 07:04:01 pm »

&

Psh.

I wanted a Grin Reaper for that tile, but that is seriously cool! I assume he's going to get some funky Tile Magic? :)

New cups and vials.

Nice photos WC - I'm going to go try something...

Hmm not having much luck, with so few pixels its a very fine line between a rough stone and a spiky stone... Going to leave it for now O.o

McFail - Not a bad idea but I think a raw lump of ore is the way to go... assuming I can actually figure something out :F I'm looking forward to making little mine carts and wheelbarrows :)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 08:41:38 pm by WormSlayer »

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: July 12, 2010, 08:38:55 pm »

I realized what my problem was with the flasky } symbol.  It wasn't the colours themselves so much as the fact that they were brighter than the surrounding text.

I took a minute and gave the flasks 20% transparency; I think they work now.

Nice cups, by the way.

Dearnen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: July 12, 2010, 09:38:58 pm »

Awesome work you guys are doing.  When your set and Dwarf Therapist are both ready for .10, I may well switch over from Mayday's set.

Regarding ores and uncut gems:  The ore still looks too much like regular stone, to me.  To differentiate the two, perhaps make one lumpy on the right and the other lumpy on the left (in addition to color differences, shininess, etc.), that way the player can recognize an ore immediately.  Meanwhile, I suggest making uncut gems look like a small group of raw crystals, rather than like cut diamonds (or stars).

Pages: 1 ... 88 89 [90] 91 92 ... 329