Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1215747 times)

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (0.46: come get your war elephants!)
« Reply #1740 on: July 28, 2010, 09:23:35 am »

Nice work IH! - You forgot to include the savegame updater though :P

My only gripe about it is that most things represented by it have no bones in them, remains generaly boneless, chinks no bones, shell well not an internal bone, teeth and fingers arn't femurs... I dont know what would remedy this the best, ive been imagining something that looks like a tumor, something fleshy that would best fit the tile.

I have tried some fleshy lumps but they kind of look like rocks or something, especially when the game colours the tile weirdly. I've decided it's not possible to make a single tile that looks like a human skull and a spider leg, and a cow hoof, etc. And gone for the abstracted icon kind of approach.

Also blood and broken bones everywhere kind of looks cool after a fight :D

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: July 28, 2010, 09:40:58 am »

Great, a new update. Always an impressive job Ironhand and WormSlayer.

For those that have problems with the Ironhand font in small zoomed in windows, like i do, here is the 0.46 tileset with the font replaced by Teeto/Maus slightly edited one.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Zoal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: July 28, 2010, 11:53:05 am »

Brilliant work, thank you for everything, Iron & Worm.

I think you can improve the water tile, it's not your best. It has an obvious "tiling" effect; I get the impression of repeating squares. I can see the edges. And it doesn't really look like water. Looks more like the surface of a sponge.

One problem is the frequency wave is too high. It needs a lower frequency, a sweeping flow frequency, and the frequency should be rotated or diagonal in some way. I think you achieved a good frequency for example on the "sand" tile. The frequency is like a phase. You don't want it repeating at the rate of the tile. High frequency is good -- but there should be high and low frequencies simultaneously, like real water! Imagine the ocean, which has waves at many different scales happening all at once.

You may have used Photoshop's ability to display the tile with copies of itself on each side. But this alone won't work -- you have to see it tiled unlimitedly in all directions, not just once, in order to be able to draw a good frequency which defies the square. The frequency should exist across as many squares as possible simultaneously. That creates the illusion of 'no tile'.

I've seen you nail this before multiple times on other sprites, I know you're good at it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 03:02:13 pm by Zoal »

flatlander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: July 28, 2010, 01:12:08 pm »

Let me just say .... oooo pretty. Followed by... but but but I was going to do some work today.
Check out my webcomic at epicgotime.com

BogusFlow

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: July 28, 2010, 04:52:00 pm »

Looks great! I think I must have done something wrong though because my farm (and anything else that is brown) is bright red. I tried the savegame updater too. Any advice for a total newbie? Sorry, hope I'm not derailing this awesome thread. :)

Dearnen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: July 28, 2010, 04:57:56 pm »

While I like Worm's new refuse tile, perhaps a broken ribcage might be able to simulate both bones and/or a dead spider.  Just an idea to toy with.  Meanwhile, keep up the awesome work, guys.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: July 28, 2010, 05:36:35 pm »

Yeah, I fiddled with color scheme a little bit.

Farms are red, actually. In my old scheme, I was using a much browner color for red,
which looked really good on farms but made magma and blood look kinda weird.

BogusFlow

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: July 28, 2010, 05:59:00 pm »

Farms are red, actually.

Gotcha, thanks for the response!

Ounce

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: July 28, 2010, 08:34:54 pm »

Gotta give some love to this graphics set. You guys are cranking out some really spectacular stuff! You've convinced me to go back to using graphics for sure. x3
I've got a new fortress design in mind, and now I'm certain I have to embark somewhere with elephants.

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #1749 on: July 28, 2010, 10:58:32 pm »

So if we get another 30 or so tiles to play with, I'm thinking as well as disambiguating as many things as we can, some more tree variety may be a good way to use up some of those letters?

Here is how I have roughly grouped all the trees together, with the idea being each group of similar looking trees gets at least one tile:

Here is my first attempt at replacing the current trees:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 11:01:24 pm by WormSlayer »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: July 28, 2010, 11:28:17 pm »

Er, are those all yours, or is it the left was before and the right was your replacement, or something?

Harmonica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: July 28, 2010, 11:35:04 pm »

Trees would be nice... but personally I can think of a few things I would put higher up the list, the things that sort of break the disbelief when you see them in two places standing for different things. Oh, and more rock tiles - obviously a lot of rock types look the same, but a lot don't look like anything else and should probably have their own tile.

Loving the latest release though - seeing the dig designations makes things so much easier.

Personally I've made a few alterations.. I've added iconographic style hashed lines and dots to the 3 dig-animation tiles, since I don't really dig (hur) the way that when they bash a rock, it suddenly transforms into a different rock-style and fades out (I've left that pattern in the background underneath the lines and dots and it looks really awesome though).

In game:

In case anyone wants, here it is:

Also, I increased the contrast to all the rock types. Not sure if that will screw the transparency up yet, haven't tested it. They looked a bit light to my eyes (trade off for visible designations tiles I guess - the old darker tiles looked more 'rocky' and almost perfect).

Also, replaced the stockpile tile. Your tile makes my eyes hurt! This is one I created for a personal set I was using previously. I thought about what the dwarves would use to lay down a stockpile, surely they would not go to the effort of paving an area in neat tiles? So.. they use planks of wood!

Edited this one up for 18X18.. and it tiles quite nicely, I think! Here it is in case anyone wants:

stockpile:

tiled a lot:

in game:

Not as pretty as your nice anti-aliased floor tiles but best I could do :) You can see how marble (white rock) looks with the replaced dig tile (it shares the third one), and also I added a bevel to the 'solid colour' tile, something Mayday does on his set because it makes the Trade Depot look f'awesome :)

Anyway sorry for mangling your nice pixel art, just some ideas I thought I'd share in case any appeal!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 07:56:54 am by Harmonica »

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: July 29, 2010, 12:07:52 am »

Er, are those all yours, or is it the left was before and the right was your replacement, or something?
They are all his; left: spring/summer/autumn, right: winter
That is a screenshot of the tile replacer program, in which you can choose a tile and color for everything in your raws :)

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: July 29, 2010, 12:21:03 am »

Ah. They're quite nice-looking, in any case.

Thundrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: July 29, 2010, 03:05:51 am »

Here is my first attempt at replacing the current trees:

Can't really comment yet, since the trees have to be judged up against the colour schemes in general, and the ebb and flow of textures surrounding them. The summer branch of that selection looks a wee bit brighter than expected ( terrible sense of humor alert ), but when placed in the game that might prove to be nothing but intermediate trickery of the mind, and/or a profound lack of overwatch capabilities at this very point in time. ( There is no recognition issues involved, so the only logical solution would be to set the bar higher and demand environmental coherency on a grander scale. If they blend in right away, then it's time to be more creative in order to create an excessive workload. We're helpful that way.  )

---
Pages: 1 ... 115 116 [117] 118 119 ... 329