Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1215868 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (0.48 released!)
« Reply #2385 on: August 15, 2010, 05:08:39 am »

While its a little too contrasted for my tastes (you may have noticed I like lots of smooth shading? :P) I do like the wavy style :)

Also, your dwarves have crafted a prototype Ballista, it menaces with pixels of opengl shaded awesome!

Jesus. That's beautiful. I wonder if that level of layering complexity is doable.

Yeah, it looks good indeed...and I think that it will be possible to create gfx stuff like this after Baughn codes in the shader mode. [Displaying the ballista image shouldn't be more "complicated" than displaying a multi-tile dragon afterall.]

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: August 15, 2010, 06:14:08 am »

Absolutely beautiful!
A shame, that trees don't have the correct size in DF to begin with.
Hm... Maybe we could do the same "semi-multitile" thing for trees, too?
So that the "tree tile" from Vanilla DF just represents the trunk and we display a 2x3 or something tree at that place?

McBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2387 on: August 15, 2010, 07:01:51 am »

Absolutely beautiful!
So that the "tree tile" from Vanilla DF just represents the trunk and we display a 2x3 or something tree at that place?

Shame that it wont be possible to make trees this way...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 10:25:49 am by McBeer »
fun is for rich men, i assume.
----------
My axe is sharp and my beard is strong.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2388 on: August 15, 2010, 07:02:58 am »

We could totally do something like that if we wanted to.

I think trees need to be great big things with gaps in the leaves
so you can see the dwarves resting in their shade, or whatever.
But yeah, we could definitely have them cast shadows over things.

Lovely ballista. And from what I've heard, that should be easy.

McBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2389 on: August 15, 2010, 07:09:13 am »

I was thinking about under/over nonsolvable problem with such method. DF engine simply cannot place dwarf UNDER tile, but nvmd, let's skip it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 07:13:50 am by McBeer »
----------

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: August 15, 2010, 07:37:03 am »

I'm moving DF over to a layered output engine in general (to deal with truetype), so don't count your dooms until they.. hatch? Er.. right.

At any rate, it probably wouldn't be too much work for Toady to run multiple passes over the dwarf/adventure-mode map, giving us both the ground tile and the dwarf on top.. or the ground, the chair, the dwarf and the miasma. It'd probably be at most four layers (plus the text, which doesn't count), and shaders can handle at least sixteen, so yeah. :P

That's very much future planning, pure wishful thinking really, but I'm starting to think it'd be a reasonable request. :)
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2391 on: August 15, 2010, 07:38:57 am »

I'm moving DF over to a layered output engine in general (to deal with truetype), so don't count your dooms until they.. hatch? Er.. right.

At any rate, it probably wouldn't be too much work for Toady to run multiple passes over the dwarf/adventure-mode map, giving us both the ground tile and the dwarf on top.. or the ground, the chair, the dwarf and the miasma. It'd probably be at most four layers (plus the text, which doesn't count), and shaders can handle at least sixteen, so yeah. :P

That's very much future planning, pure wishful thinking really, but I'm starting to think it'd be a reasonable request. :)

Indeed! :)

Zulithe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: August 15, 2010, 10:04:58 am »

Indeed! :)
It sounds great. I know a lot of us, especially the modders, are excited. Do you anticipate this will impact performance very much? One of the biggest complaints of DF how taxing it can be on a system, particularly in light of how low-tech the graphics are. But... yeah, I know you are keenly aware of this. Just a concern. I'm sure I'm not alone here.

Prastary

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2393 on: August 15, 2010, 10:14:08 am »

Do you anticipate this will impact performance very much? One of the biggest complaints of DF how taxing it can be on a system, particularly in light of how low-tech the graphics are. But... yeah, I know you are keenly aware of this. Just a concern. I'm sure I'm not alone here.

Probably it will not impact performance on hi-tech 400W graphics monster with all required shaders...

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: August 15, 2010, 10:18:38 am »

It'll inevitably affect performance somewhat. I'm not sure in which direction, though you can just turn it off - while playing, if you like.

If you have the aforementioned 400W graphics monster, you'll probably be fine. :P

McBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2395 on: August 15, 2010, 10:23:11 am »

Do you anticipate this will impact performance very much? One of the biggest complaints of DF how taxing it can be on a system, particularly in light of how low-tech the graphics are. But... yeah, I know you are keenly aware of this. Just a concern. I'm sure I'm not alone here.

Probably it will not impact performance on hi-tech 400W graphics monster with all required shaders...
Mało zabawne.
I am not using that device for DF, i explained my reasons already. TBH, any concerns about eventual performance hit is around: laptops with intel chips, netbooks, umpc's, etc. - anything that uses integrated gfx card;
I can imagine ZERO perf problems on portables with dedicated gfx card..

And marvellous possibilities for modders, oh yes.
Sorry for my 3 cents(again)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 10:25:13 am by McBeer »
----------

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: August 15, 2010, 10:50:26 am »

any concerns about eventual performance hit is around: laptops with intel chips, netbooks, umpc's, etc. - anything that uses integrated gfx card;
It will be more likely that it won't work at all on those machines.

I am not using that device for DF, i explained my reasons already.
Are you sure that beast has not some decent kind of power saving?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 11:12:30 am by Vince »

ghostxxx

• Bay Watcher
  • and my Axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: August 15, 2010, 11:18:14 am »

For all of those with laptops, check something called Undervolting. Allows you to reduce your core temperature without a performance hit. Which in turn allows you to overclock/ run things on high performance.

pugi

• Bay Watcher
  • I reject your reality and substitute my own
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: August 15, 2010, 11:19:33 am »

Absolutely beautiful!

Shame that it wont be possible to make trees this way...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is possible. You can make something like 24x24 pixel sized trees, expand the tile to 36x36 pixels with the tree remaining in the upper left corner and then add the shadow in the lower right corner. Then you move the tile so the trunk is in the middle of the tile (-3 pixels in x- and y-direction) and the shadow is on the lower right of the tree. You can even vary the x- and y-movement by a random amount like +-4 pixels so multiple trees look nicely next to each other. And you have to make sure that the tiles are rendered from top left to bottom right, so other trees are placed above the shadow of the ones on the left/above.

I could make a little sketch of what i mean if it is too complicated, but i am lacking the motivation :P

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: August 15, 2010, 11:31:46 am »

For all of those with laptops, check something called Undervolting. Allows you to reduce your core temperature without a performance hit. Which in turn allows you to overclock/ run things on high performance.
Only if you're really, really lucky.

Undervolting makes your machine less stable. Undervolting and overclocking, when you usually overvolt to get the most from overclocking?
Pages: 1 ... 158 159 [160] 161 162 ... 329