Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1215747 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (0.48 released!)
« Reply #2415 on: August 15, 2010, 07:51:36 pm »

Well, we should at least be able to animate dwarves that happen to be in the middle of workshops. Pretty unambiguous, that case.

For some workshops but it will depend if they have specific tiles in them that we can fix on with 100% certainty every frame?

Ironically the dwarf himself will be obscuring the centre tile that identifies a lot of workshops!

Will we limited to checking immediately adjacent tiles or can we look farther afield?
You can check as far afield as you like, of what's currently being displayed. There are memory bandwidth and cache limits, but you probably won't ever see them; you're more likely to hit cycle limits, with if statements and such. Try not to use those. :P

Custom workshops wouldn't have the problem you mentioned, and it seems pretty reasonable to think that most workshops will become custom eventually.
Hm. I could also add in a feedback texture, to let you store a bit of data between frames, but.. we'll see how it works without that first, 'kay?
This would be used for...? :)
For example, storing the amount of time a dwarf has been standing in a workshop (so the animations don't all match up, and he doesn't start in the middle of the animation cycle when he first enters it), or to deal with the aforementioned problem by remembering what tile was under the dwarf. Though that might be troublesome and glitchy to do.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #2416 on: August 15, 2010, 07:58:57 pm »

You can check as far afield as you like, of what's currently being displayed. There are memory bandwidth and cache limits, but you probably won't ever see them; you're more likely to hit cycle limits, with if statements and such. Try not to use those. :P

Thats what I was hoping but my programming skills are somewhat limited, how about: I write a mess of if statements then you optimise them? ;)

For example, storing the amount of time a dwarf has been standing in a workshop (so the animations don't all match up, and he doesn't start in the middle of the animation cycle when he first enters it), or to deal with the aforementioned problem by remembering what tile was under the dwarf. Though that might be troublesome and glitchy to do.

Being able to track changes would be super-useful in decoding everything - The only thing better would be to have things like dorfs passed to the renderer separately from the environment? :P

blueeyedlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2417 on: August 15, 2010, 09:50:33 pm »

I am confused by all this talk of multi tile creatures, are they going to be added officially by the toady one?  or will they be modded graphically ONLY and still actually be just one tile for the calculations and such?  or will this graphics set mod the creature to be multiple tiles in graphics and calculations?

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #2418 on: August 15, 2010, 10:58:21 pm »

modded graphically ONLY and still actually be just one tile for the calculations and such?

This :)

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2419 on: August 15, 2010, 11:05:58 pm »

Something like a pandemonium lord that occupy only 1 tile despite being visually bigger in Tile version of Dungeon Crawl ?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2420 on: August 15, 2010, 11:08:44 pm »

IMHO that would work.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #2421 on: August 15, 2010, 11:09:19 pm »

Very much like that :D

If we were feeling fancy, we could check if it was an enclosed space like a narrow tunnel and display a different graphic of the creature hunched up or something.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 11:11:04 pm by WormSlayer »

blueeyedlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2422 on: August 15, 2010, 11:16:00 pm »

I can see the newb's demise now:

"ha, that 5 tile big dragon will never get through my 1 tile wide hallway, I am safe forever."

*dragon walks through the hallway and proceeds to kill most of the dwarves*

"WTF!!  noooooooo!!"

^this shouldn't be able to happen, either I don't understand it fully, or many newbs with this graphics set will be very confused and angry.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2423 on: August 15, 2010, 11:22:39 pm »

Newbs should not play with graphic sets.

Or newbs should not affect the quality of graphics.

Something like that.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2424 on: August 15, 2010, 11:24:24 pm »

It's not like the creatures will actually be more than one tile in size, anyway. They'll just look a bit tall.

blueeyedlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2425 on: August 15, 2010, 11:29:57 pm »

ooh.  I didn't understand it fully.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2426 on: August 15, 2010, 11:40:25 pm »

Creatures being allowed ot be visually bigger that the 1 tile they always occupy would then lead into more places for the pixel artists to do their magic instead of being lmited by a small tile, trying to squash all the details of the creatures in there.
That can be only good.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2427 on: August 16, 2010, 05:27:54 am »

I can see the newb's demise now:

"ha, that 5 tile big dragon will never get through my 1 tile wide hallway, I am safe forever."

*dragon walks through the hallway and proceeds to kill most of the dwarves*

"WTF!!  noooooooo!!"

^this shouldn't be able to happen, either I don't understand it fully, or many newbs with this graphics set will be very confused and angry.

Hm....while we are at it....multi-tile creatures in 1 tile wide tunnels will look weird I guess...:D

Harmonica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2428 on: August 16, 2010, 05:34:02 am »

Which is why if multi-tile creatures get made, there will need to be checks looking to see if there are walls right next to the creature.

Wavecutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2429 on: August 16, 2010, 06:28:25 am »

The amount of awesome being generated in this thread is stupendous.

That being said I have a nit pick. On the embark screen plains are displaying as solid black.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In this image I have highlighted a region of the plains to demonstrate what it would look like when
displayed within the embark square.
We farm and kill mermaid children. Its too late to worry about political correctness.
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 329