Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1216053 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (0.48 released!)
« Reply #2490 on: August 18, 2010, 11:23:00 am »

Actually, I figured out that (because it's comparing two constants), doing this bit of tileset switching in the shader would have absolutely no cost at all.

So there's nothing for me to implement. The infrastructure I'm already working on can already handle it.

As for pre-mipmapped images.. sure, that's trivial to implement, if you want it.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: August 18, 2010, 11:45:22 am »

Well, if it's even more trivial to have conditional tileset switching then...

wait...

Did anyone else think "palette cycling" just now? Since the number of tiles we can use will be more or less unlimited, we could easily animate water, especially with shaders. Animate trees and grass too, by swapping out relevant tile sheets between frames. Can that be done, Baughn?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: August 18, 2010, 11:48:56 am »

Not by this method, but in general sure, yes. We discussed it a few pages back.

Oh, and the number of tiles aren't unlimited; they're limited by available graphics memory. Given that they take four bytes per pixel, this might be more of a limit than you think. It won't be a problem given sane artists, though. :P

KillHour

• Bay Watcher
  • One of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: August 18, 2010, 12:29:10 pm »

Well, since all this stuff is getting implemented, I'd like to bring up something I suggested awhile ago.

How about an option for HQx scaling?  It would look significantly better than Lanczos, IMO.

qwert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: August 18, 2010, 12:32:11 pm »

Not by this method, but in general sure, yes. We discussed it a few pages back.

Oh, and the number of tiles aren't unlimited; they're limited by available graphics memory. Given that they take four bytes per pixel, this might be more of a limit than you think. It won't be a problem given sane artists, though. :P

Hrm, given no overhead my card can support 16 777 216 16x16 tiles  :o

EDIT: It's an HD 5870, and DXDiag claims it to have 4070MB, but from what I can tell it is only a 1GB card ???

Still well over 4 million tiles in any case.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 05:31:04 pm by qwert »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: August 18, 2010, 12:43:51 pm »

Mine would hold 9765625 16x16 tiles then. What kind of monster GPU are you packing, anyway?
(er, also remember that 4GB isn't what Google thinks. In GPUs, HDDs and RAM, a GByte is 1000000000 bytes.)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 12:45:39 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #2496 on: August 18, 2010, 12:57:28 pm »

As for pre-mipmapped images.. sure, that's trivial to implement, if you want it.

But the PNG format cant contain MIP levels, only DDS and the like do?

Edit - Wow I just had a flashback to me hand-crafting mip levels for Quake 1 textures :D

Different tiles for different zoom levels? Would that be possible?

The scaling on zoom thing is one of the reasons I'm thinking about making a 3D tileset. While it wont help so much with tiny, zoomed out tiles being hard to distinguish, it should mean any mid-large tile size will look nice without having to make multiple versions of every tile.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 01:01:10 pm by WormSlayer »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: August 18, 2010, 01:00:41 pm »

I'd just have to require that you store it somewhat like how it looks in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MipMap_Example_STS101.jpg. :P

Also, in GPUs and RAM, a GByte is 1024^3 bytes.

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #2498 on: August 18, 2010, 01:04:31 pm »

Doh of course! I've even used that method of mip mapping before :F

Tywuzhere

• Bay Watcher
  • We Fell Asleep: Abdomen/Thorax.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: August 18, 2010, 03:54:26 pm »

This looks awesome, downloading it right now, and I'll give it a shot. My monitor should handle it, but we'll have to see.
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: August 18, 2010, 03:57:08 pm »

This sounds more like a future graphics thread now, but I'm not complaining. It all sounds Awesome.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

ginsweater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: August 18, 2010, 04:03:33 pm »

The scaling on zoom thing is one of the reasons I'm thinking about making a 3D tileset. While it wont help so much with tiny, zoomed out tiles being hard to distinguish, it should mean any mid-large tile size will look nice without having to make multiple versions of every tile.

Maybe you could just take more detailed control over filtering? That's one of the big advantages of shaders in 2D graphics IMO - you're not locked into bilinear scaling. You can actually control which mipmap your shader samples if you like - use the textureLod() function instead of texture().

Signed distance maps are popular for "vector"-looking graphics, for example, and there are tools available to make them from high-res black-and-white images. Maybe you could use an SDM for a really nice smooth outline, and add a low- or mid-res bilinear-filtered color map?

That would require some way to provide additional texture inputs to the pixel shader beyond the current color/alpha tile maps. Baughn, have you thought about that at all? I know you're making a bunch of changes to the texture atlasing...

Multiple inputs would also allow foreground color masking, which I think people have mentioned here before. And personally, I'd be excited about the possibilities that would be opened up by adding depth maps to the tiles.

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #2502 on: August 18, 2010, 05:00:57 pm »

Maybe you could just take more detailed control over filtering?

And personally, I'd be excited about the possibilities that would be opened up by adding depth maps to the tiles.

After checking out those hqnx examples KillHour posted above I dont see why not as long as they dont eat too much gpu time.

I guess I'm having a slow day, but what could we use depth maps for? :D

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: August 18, 2010, 05:01:36 pm »

z-levels below graphics?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #2504 on: August 18, 2010, 05:04:36 pm »

Z-level below just gets it's own 3 or 4 tiles. At the very least we may be able to make it look less weird. Still a great shame we cant have more than 1.5 z-levels visible at a time...

Only things I can think of are stuff like dorfs standing in ground mist and shallow water sort of situations?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 05:28:26 pm by WormSlayer »
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 329