Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1216008 times)

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (0.48 released!)
« Reply #2520 on: August 19, 2010, 05:08:00 am »

I don't say that it's bad, it just looked like that :). I have DX10 compatible cards on 2 PCs but my Laptop won't handle it, so it's not critical but a bit sad.

I agree to that. :)

But this situation has always happened and will always happen with computers.
"Ah, I need a CD drive now!" "Oh, I need a 3D accelerator now! "Ah, I need DX10 hardware now!" and so on.
The problem here is that DF still looks like a game from the nineties, so we don't see the hardware hunger justified.
"It has shit graphics, why do I need a good gfx-card for it?" Well, because gfx-cards with their shaders can do more than just graphics.
Hell, our university even uses a rack of PS3 for parallel computing.
Of course, we wouldn't REALLY need the shaders if Toady implements some things, but he has better things to do. :D (That villages are SO AMAZING!)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 05:10:00 am by Vince »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2521 on: August 19, 2010, 05:34:06 am »

About villages: I would rather see working dwarven halls and forest retreats before villages. Humans get too much love :). But whatever, it goes offtopic.

We need Ironhand to show up and upload a few more tiles, so we could all yell "awesome" and "godlike!".
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Prastary

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2522 on: August 19, 2010, 05:44:56 am »

It's becoming ridiculous a bit now.

Its completely super-over-ridiculous for a graphics such as in DF...

(But of course I'm happy than Baughn sacrifices his time trying to improve DF, even if I will not benefit from it)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2523 on: August 19, 2010, 05:49:07 am »

It's totally okay for a game where you have only so much to change :). You should understand that it's either yes or no. DF graphics are very limited, so it requires many resources to "improve" them.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2524 on: August 19, 2010, 06:28:20 am »

Keep in mind that I'm doing this in large part to figure out what is possible. I *will* be backporting useful ideas to the cpu-only modes to the degree that is possible, but this way I can have you help figure out what that is.

And some ideas, of course, would never really be possible on the cpu at all. I figure it's better for some people to be  able to use them than nobody. DX10-class hardware is just going to get more and more common, anyway.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2525 on: August 19, 2010, 06:31:39 am »

I figure it's better for some people to be  able to use them than nobody.
I agree. It will leave an option to find a working hardware rather than just dream about graphics :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2526 on: August 19, 2010, 06:35:37 am »

Well then, if this transpires then DF will be able to blend into the crowd of modern commercial games. More or less. Although "requirements" would be somewhat low (2GHz single core, 1Gb RAM, any video card), the "recommended" specs would be sort of impressive - 3GHz dualcore, 4Gb RAM, DX10-capable video card. If Ironhand and Wormslayer go completely overboard, we can make that "DX10-capable video card with at least 1Gb VRAM". Would be fun.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

McBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2527 on: August 19, 2010, 06:58:49 am »

The problem here is that DF still looks like a game from the nineties, so we don't see the hardware hunger justified.

And it is why i am worried NOW.
Believe me, it is NOT A PROBLEM, only thing that is ridiculous is still same method for handling tiles, imo.
Personally - if DF would look like, let's say Elona i wouldn't play it. Never ever.
Ascii was great for ADOM, but i needed DFG set to accept DF and it was ENOUGH(until i realized how tiles are handled, oh god, how BAD it is...).
Although i would have few missing effects(torches, FOG OF WAR), but to be honest, i am afraid what way it may take regarding masses of brainless consumers novadays(if it's not shining, it's useless -you know, typical console user mind-type:/).

So, i am afraid, because, shining dx10 DF is not exactly main thing to do, while whole lots of things are needed to be done first:
- soap fixes,
- new GUI for handling i.e. 45 types of plants in LOGICAL way(SORTING! - absolutely neccesary, imo),
- new GUI/overlay elements - i need MORE pernament info in screen(mood of chosen being, statuses etc) - i am aware how many things are going on ingame - problem is - i CANNOT READ about it(that's why i was horny about idea of bubbles AND question about how much can we log), cannot see it, etc.
fun is for rich men, i assume.
----------
My axe is sharp and my beard is strong.

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2528 on: August 19, 2010, 07:03:36 am »

So, i am afraid, because, shining dx10 DF is not exactly main thing to do, while whole lots of things are needed to be done first:
- soap fixes,
- new GUI for handling i.e. 45 types of plants in LOGICAL way(SORTING! - absolutely neccesary, imo),
- new GUI/overlay elements - i need MORE pernament info in screen(mood of chosen being, statuses etc) - i am aware how many things are going on ingame - problem is - i CANNOT READ about it(that's why i was horny about idea of bubbles AND question about how much can we log), cannot see it, etc.
Well, no one here can do anything about this.
All programming is Toady's work. He just outsourced the graphics part to Baughn and co. And he can't change the GUI (well not so much as you want ;D) .

masses of brainless consumers
As if they would have fun with DF, where losing is fun. :D The gameplay will not change.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2529 on: August 19, 2010, 07:06:39 am »

You totally miss the point, McBeer.

DX10 is required to make graphics WITHOUT making Toady to make it. That's the main reason why Baughn is so busy with it, because it's him, not Toady One doing graphics. Toady One still works on the game content, so I don't see a reason of your post at all.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Urist McFail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2530 on: August 19, 2010, 07:15:53 am »

Hmm.
I don't usually post, as I prefer lurking, but for the few posters lamenting the need for a more powerful gx card; I don't understand what the problem is.

If your laptop cannot handle this lushness (which is an added feature) just stop reading this thread.
What you don't know, will not hurt you in this case.

For you, there will be no difference in terms of hardware because the current system will still be supported.
For the majority of people using DF, they won't even be aware of this thread and it will not affect them.

I use DF on my Desktop PC with its 1.5 kilowatt psu and my NETBOOK with intel GX chip using under 150 watts, personally, whilst on the laptop, I prefer using ascii, and have occasionally used Ironhands or Maydays gx pack.

Urist McFail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2531 on: August 19, 2010, 07:19:38 am »

A feature which I would like would be something like 'picture in picture' so I can be monitoring a seige or trap whilst attending to other issues.

Perhaps using the current 'tab' system to split te gui into 3 with a map, menu and another map that is indepentantly scrollable.

McBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2532 on: August 19, 2010, 07:35:42 am »

don't see a reason of your post at all.

If your laptop cannot handle this lushness (which is an added feature) just stop reading this thread.
You know what, it's good idea.
(unsuscribed - my languague skills are too low to explain properly what i had on my mind, i am not against THESE ways of overriding engine possibilities, i am not sorry for MAC and linux users for lack of directx, btw).
Good luck.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 07:57:23 am by McBeer »
fun is for rich men, i assume.
----------
My axe is sharp and my beard is strong.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2533 on: August 19, 2010, 07:37:59 am »

Man, it's not rediculous, it's the only way to do it now. And you just want to argue :).

I really don't understand why don't you like someone doing something they (and others) like. For example I may not like some indie tools but I just don't use them and don't type in that thread.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2534 on: August 19, 2010, 08:00:14 am »

something you said about "He can't do as much as you want" and deleted before I could quote.
Nope. He has NO ACCESS to this information. That's how programming works - encapsulation.
He doesn't even have the full source code of Dwarf Fortress!

Pages: 1 ... 167 168 [169] 170 171 ... 329