Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Sandcastle Builder - Dwarf Fortress of Idle Games.  (Read 23347 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Sandcastle Builder - Dwarf Fortress of Idle Games.
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2013, 06:33:13 pm »

Yeah, I should've mentioned that. The game doesn't autosave until you get the upgrade, which comes from saving 40 times.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2013, 02:22:53 am »

Should I sell off my newpixbots because of Judgement Dip?

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2013, 02:40:35 am »

I've had this going for 2 days and I hardly have anything. Is this game supposed to take months to progress or what? Or are you guys actually sitting there clicking nonstop for many hours at a time? Because I don't have time for that...

I won't even bother spoilering because I'm sure this is still very early game: I've got 3 buckets, 3 cuegans, 2 NewPixBot (not sure if there's any point to having more than one), 2 Trebuchet, 1 Scaffold, and an assortment of "boosts" most of which seem purely cosmetic. Each click brings me 3.3 sand and each tick automatically gets 4.2 sand. I've gotten the vast majority of the sand by clicking, but my tendinitis is starting to act up so I'm not doing that anymore.

Also, each "day" of the game seems to take about a real-life half hour. Is that right? I can get maybe 6 or 7 castles before the price becomes so high that I'd have to kill my wrist trying to get them, then I just have to wait half an hour for the timer to reset the price.

I don't know about "dwarf fortress of idle games." If you left DF alone for 2 days some SERIOUS SHIT would happen. As for this game, nothing at all seems to be happening. Nothing at all. Maybe if I had nothing else in the world to do than sit and click for hours on end, this game might reach a point where it's fun, but the way it stands, I think I'm about to just give up on this one.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2013, 02:42:12 am »

It starts speeding up. But yeah, it's pretty slow-paced.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2013, 03:05:09 am »

When does it start speeding up? Cause I sort of feel like, with Cookie Clicker, for example, once I got tired of it I could say "well I just wasted a lot of time, but at least it was fun." With this one, it's more "Well, I just wasted a lot of time doing absolutely nothing, and I can never get that time back." It almost makes me want to keep going, just so I don't feel like it was all wasted, but I don't know how much *more* time I'd have to waste before I get any kind of return on it.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2013, 03:16:20 am »

I guess the "dwarf fortress" bit might refer to the intricacy and micromanagement that later levels can bring.

There's definitely a point in getting more NewPixBots, they let you collect more castles after the timer resets AND if you don't ninja the bots. There are also boosts which improve the rate at which the NewPixBots build castles (I think my current game is on 8 castles per bot, which is better than the initial 1 castle).

But otherwise, the early game is very sedate if you let it run on its own.

ninja-mandatory edit: I think there might be a slight mentality change required to play this game, as it's based on the comic which inspired the game, which essentially rewarded patience with a new comic strip with a whole story behind it. The clicking for sand bit probably isn't the most important bit of the game - waiting for the timer reset is more interesting (to me) as that makes things progress.

(I didn't try cookie clicker so I can't make direct comparisons between this game and cookie clicker though.)
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2013, 03:34:48 am »

I'm inclined to agree with Sappho on this one.

Unlike the other clickers/idles, I've left this going for the last few days, and it feels like I'm accomplishing nothing. (Not that the others actually accomplish anything, but...)

Is there some trick or prereq to get it to do... well... anything? Or is it just a waiting game even more arduous than seeing how the original story developed?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2013, 03:38:34 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2013, 03:42:12 am »

Redundakitties are the way to get going initially. 200-1000 castles from a click take quite a bit to build up from other things. For example, one redundakitty early on can get you 200 castles, which would take 5 hours with 20 newpixbots.

If you are idling, arrange it so that the badge/boost window has at least one spot left to fill, and focus on the bottom part of the screen. If you keep it visible, you can see when the badges or shop screen changes, and you can then find the kitty to click it.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2013, 03:47:29 am »

Will agree on the redundakitties, they help a lot even if it's just blitzing.

One way to spot them in the badge/boost window is to hide ALL the visible things, then periodically check all the boxes. If there's a redundakitty the relevant box will display an icon of two cats, open up that box and the kitty should be hiding inside.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2013, 07:10:11 am »

This thread reads like Igynpadca.

In other news, I got 9 castles and quit. There is a line where the promised awesomeness outweighs the boredom of clicking. Candy Box was somewhere above this line. This game is so far below it burrowed underground.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2013, 10:52:31 am »

The game starts off (very) slow, but once you have enough of certain tools, the boosts unlocked really speed things up:

Try leaving the game running in a tiny corner of a less-used monitor, then Wait For It (do something else for 25 minutes between ONGs).
Eh?
Eh!

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2013, 11:08:29 am »

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2013, 12:53:19 pm »

IMO this game isn't worth playing unless you leave it visible while playing a non-immersive, easily paused game. Have things to do, still notice all redundakitties. Most roguelikes are very good for this. DF is also.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2013, 07:50:03 pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7