Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What to do with Giant Eagle  (Read 2511 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with Giant Eagle
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 03:09:42 am »

Skeletal Giant Cave Spiders.

Seen those once, they ate me. Reclaimed with ~60 dorfs, got eaten again. Gave up.

I wonder. Arachnids don't have endoskeletons. So is a Skeletal Giant Cave Spider basically just a hollow walking spider carapace? Because that seems like it should be weaker than a regular spider.  ;D
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 03:29:40 am »

Seen those once, they ate me. Reclaimed with ~60 dorfs, got eaten again. Gave up.

I wonder. Arachnids don't have endoskeletons. So is a Skeletal Giant Cave Spider basically just a hollow walking spider carapace? Because that seems like it should be weaker than a regular spider.  ;D

I have absolutely no idea; bones aren't actually implimented in the game yet though are they?

Possibly they are actually fell constructs created from the bones of dead evil creatures fused into spider form. That would explain why they are capable of efficiently eviscerating 60 heavily armed dwarves with ease.

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 04:54:22 am »

Hmhmmmm... ☼Skeletal Giant Cave Spiders☼ forged in the !!pits of hell!! by the bones of a thousand !!elves!!

Anyways ontopic, thanks for the hint on modding humans capable of selling more special beasts rather than the lame domestic animals, as it feels more appropriate to the style of the game (not requesting though but rather that humans ought to be able to cage animals and have the brilliant idea to sell them to get rid off them). Does it need a re-gen though?

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 05:12:16 am »

I think it does, most entity changes do. Try not regenning and see if you can request odd animals from the diplomat, if not, then you'll need to regen.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 07:30:53 am »

You know, I believe it would make more sense for humans to sell rare animals to dwarves than it does for elves.

Think about it. Elves go into a hissy fit whenever you try and sell them something made out of a living thing. So why on earth would they sell you any of their beloved children of the forest, given your track record of making decorations out of said children?

Humans, on the other hand, are in it for the Profit!, just like dwarves. So humans selling rare animals for Profit! makes more sense.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 07:33:16 am »

I just got a Giant Eagle and a Grizzly from the elves last night, along with a deer, donkey, bactriam camel, two foxes, and a raccoon. The other animals I promptly butchered since I didn't plan on keeping them and was trying to encourage the elves by buying them.

Anyhow, both the grizzly and the eagle are both male, BUT, the local giant eagle that has been around from the start is female. That one has never bothered my dwarves even though she is where they probably could see her and have never gotten an interrupt message caused by her. Obviously though the babies will be wild-born, so how do I go about capturing the female without ending up with my dwarves getting attacked and thus a blooded eagle.

As for the grizzly, I'm in the wrong habitat for a female to pop uo.

@Vester: Yea, I would agree, but it probably requires a regen and I don't want to do that right now.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2009, 07:40:03 am »

I just got a Giant Eagle and a Grizzly from the elves last night, along with a deer, donkey, bactriam camel, two foxes, and a raccoon. The other animals I promptly butchered since I didn't plan on keeping them and was trying to encourage the elves by buying them.

That's exactly what I was talking about. :D Glad you agree.

Anyway, you'll need to lure her into a cage trap somehow. If she'll follow a luredwarf underground (I dunno if giant eagles do that), then that should be no problem at all, since all you need to do is get her to chase one of your faster dwarves into a trapped tunnel.

Or maybe something involving forbidding doors.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 08:00:09 am »

The elves only throw a hissy fit when you try to sell them wood stuff, I've sold them leather and bone stuff without any complaints. Heck, the human and dwarven traders don't seem to give a damn when I sell human or dwarf bone/leather stuff that the gobbos dropped to them.

As for the eagle, I'm pretty sure the dwarves have gone near her in the past and she just ignores them. I've never gotten an interrupt message from her, so dunno.

Edit: I think the eagles LOS is longer than a dwarfs because when I went to put some cage traps down, she just moved away. Maybe once I set up the bait animal.... but no guarantee she'll attack it.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 08:09:11 am by smjjames »

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 08:07:22 am »

Damn. Hmmm, you could wait until she bears young, then capture the eaglets one by one. But that sounds too time-consuming. And also dangerous.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2009, 08:28:08 am »

I've had them object to bone before I think. I usually don't try to trade them bone or leather, just stone and metal since they're so friggin uptight.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2009, 09:07:31 am »

They used to object to bone and other animal products, but ever since they started eating the corpses of their foes on the battlefield they've gotten substantially less squeamish.

Now they only object if you sell them their beloved trees.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 11:15:01 am »

I did try to sell some of their own goods back to them (goblin ambush=dead elves) thinking that it would be elf-kosher, but nope.

If they don't like wood products, then why do they even make and sell them?

I can plausibly see them making use of fallen branches, but they would have to be HUGE branches for some of the things they sell.

Edit: Update on the eagle thing, I tried to use a military dwarf to sort of herd her in the right direction but she just went higher in the sky and eastward off the map. So much for capturing her....
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 11:41:13 am by smjjames »

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009, 04:01:57 pm »

Lies. They aren't that strong.

Hell I killed 3 of them in one evil chasm. I lost a fair deal of dwarves sure, not from the spiders though.
1 fell into a well during sparring and drowned.
2-3 fell into the chasm when troglodytes pushed them.

That's it. A miner found one of the SGCS while the military who were supposed to aid him fetched a drink ... I ordered everyone to join up and attack. They killed it without much trouble, poor miner who found him lost his left hand, though.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2009, 04:35:10 pm »

I haven't even MET a GCS yet. May have something to do with the fact that I had invasions off for a long while, even though I've run into the remnants of their webs.

I have invasions back on since it was getting boring without the goblin raids and sieges, plus it stops megabeasts from showing up.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2009, 06:32:47 pm »

FIRST OF ALL check its health.

I got a giant tiger from the elves once, turned out he had nerve damages and a broken spleen. He died from old age after just 2 years.

An injured animal won't die faster from old age.  Also, if you can get a dwarf to adopt an injured animal, and the dwarf has Animal Caretaking, it'll watch the animal suffer and gain experience.  It's an easy way to get a legendary.
Pages: 1 [2]