Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 92

Author Topic: ☼Dwarves☼ - Everything Dwarf Mode  (Read 196146 times)

Snaaty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼Dwarves☼ - Everything Dwarf Mode
« Reply #510 on: July 09, 2014, 12:07:45 pm »

I have a strange bug, that might be vanilla-related:

I have many barrels, and my food stockpile is not full. Yet, there are many piles of meat lying around on the open air. The dwarves seem to put that meat in barrels, although generally I also have meat-barrels.
Do I have too much meat overall? (800+)
Also a question: Can ground meat spoil like regular meat?

Thanks

windalu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: July 09, 2014, 06:54:46 pm »

I have a strange bug, that might be vanilla-related:

I have many barrels, and my food stockpile is not full. Yet, there are many piles of meat lying around on the open air. The dwarves seem to put that meat in barrels, although generally I also have meat-barrels.
Do I have too much meat overall? (800+)
Also a question: Can ground meat spoil like regular meat?

Thanks

well, barrels and large pots can store stacks up to certain size. So if you have huge meat stacks, they cannot be stored in a container. I remember my warlock fort and butchering Frost Giants... those ~250 meat stacks :D unless you intend to use the meat for some other purposu, I would suggest cooking it and selling it for something usefull.

spoiling food - I think (not 100% sure) that all food will spoil in time if it is not in a food stockpile. On the other hand, if it is stockpiled, it does not need to be in a container

Snaaty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: July 10, 2014, 03:04:19 am »

Hm, I do have large amounts of meat, but the stack sizes are usually not larger than, say, ~30. (Got some massive invasions by rheesus macaques and gray langurs.)

if it is stockpiled, it does not need to be in a container

Are you sure?  :o I always crank out masses of barrels, because I want to avoid my massive amount of meat spoiling into miasma. I thought I read about it somewhere, and even I had some rotten meat in a stockpile, if I remember correctly.

Another thing: In what category are my prepared meals, in the trading screen? Or is it even smart to trade those? What would be a large enough stack of prepared meals for a fortress of roughly 60 dwarves?

Innocent Dave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: July 10, 2014, 03:10:25 am »

Barrels stop vermin, rather than rot.  I've had forts happily kick out hundreds of prepared meals, stick them in a barrel-free quantum stockpile, and the only miasma issues I had were from vermin remains.
Reaching one's life goal shouldn't come with a happy thought.  It should come with a sudden existential crisis.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: July 10, 2014, 08:51:28 am »

Another thing: In what category are my prepared meals, in the trading screen? Or is it even smart to trade those? What would be a large enough stack of prepared meals for a fortress of roughly 60 dwarves?

Usually I just press s on the trade goods screen to search for things by name, then type prepare.  Or, if the stacks are big enough, they should be extremely valuable, so they will also be near the top of the d (sort by value) list.

Trading prepared meals is very common.  They are extremely valuable, for the amount of resources and labor needed.

60 dwarves will go through about 480 meals per year (or fewer meals if they eat other things, like raw plump helmets).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

JAK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: July 10, 2014, 12:55:28 pm »

Yes, any item you're having trouble finding for trading, just go to the "All" section and use the search feature. As with all searches, you have to be specific.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: July 10, 2014, 04:24:44 pm »

Masterwork complicates trading meals because there is such a broad naming scheme for each tier. Makes it more difficult to find them, unless they're stored in containers (at which point the containers are labelled "prepared meal [foo]"), which may not happen if the stacks are particularly large (and the container may not necessarily be titled "prepared meal" if other foods are also stored in it).

Well, doesn't really make it difficult to find them, just more time consuming and requires that you remember what all the possible names are.

It is possible to revert them back to the vanilla names (cookies for 2 piece easy meals, stews 3 piece meals, roasts for 4 piece lavish meals) by editing item_food.txt in the raw\objects to make them easier to find that regard.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: July 10, 2014, 06:50:34 pm »

Masterwork complicates trading meals because there is such a broad naming scheme for each tier. Makes it more difficult to find them, unless they're stored in containers (at which point the containers are labelled "prepared meal [foo]"), which may not happen if the stacks are particularly large (and the container may not necessarily be titled "prepared meal" if other foods are also stored in it).

Well, doesn't really make it difficult to find them, just more time consuming and requires that you remember what all the possible names are.

It is possible to revert them back to the vanilla names (cookies for 2 piece easy meals, stews 3 piece meals, roasts for 4 piece lavish meals) by editing item_food.txt in the raw\objects to make them easier to find that regard.

Why do you want to make a living of selling food? It's harder to get than in vanilla, you're much better off selling crafts for food than the other way around. True, the insane high value trap components are fixed, but you can have some priest Pray for soft metal/R, and if you have peat, you have unlimited fuel too. Platinum goblets fetch a nice price.  ;D
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: July 10, 2014, 06:54:21 pm »

I only really use food to trade in the first few years, since it is very easy to throw a bunch of foods together into one item that not only feeds dwarves but can also sell well. That is to say, it takes very few jobs when your dwarf-work-time is at a premium because you only have a few. Making crafts, especially from metals which might take you time to find, takes longer and more jobs, but once you get your second wave, half your dwarves are probably idle most of the time anyway so might as well put them to work at something.

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
« Reply #519 on: July 10, 2014, 08:01:41 pm »

I'm currently having an issue building a Temple right now. It's been a while since I've played, and it's really my first attempt at the religion system, but the building says it requires 6 candelabras. I queued up a job with the manager to make 6 bone candelabras, and when the task was completed I still couldn't lay the plan for the building down. I checked my stocks and it says I have bone braziers and fireplaces, but no candelabras, and I never queued up either of those items. Then I told my craftsdwarfs workshop to build 6 stone candelabras, and he only made one. The other items he made are braziers and fireplaces.

So what gives? Is this a bug? Or do the reactions make a random illumination item, and I actually need to keep queuing up the reaction until I have 6 actual candelabras?

EDIT: Misleading spelling error

EDIT2: Resolved. I had to keep queuing the reaction until six actual candelabras were made. A little annoying, but considering they replaced toys, understandable.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:13:01 pm by Linkeron »

Bodkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Hoondat Report
« Reply #520 on: July 10, 2014, 09:34:38 pm »

I'm new to the mod, so I don't *really* know, but the game wasn't really meant to make a Plump Helmet Man my mayor ... was it? How did that happen? In the nobles screen, he's called "Shebemobebibe, Stray Mayor (Tame)," and he wants an office, etc., which I can't give him because (a) it won't let me view the list of things he's owed, and (b) he's a damn Plump Helmet Man, so possessions can't be assigned to him. He has all kinds of mayory skills, though, which is a bit weird. And maybe also a little bit awesome, in a one-act-play kind of way.

Urist RustyKnife (surgeon): What on earth possessed you to take on that Forgotten Beast all by yourself?
Urist MissingLimbs: A Plump Helmet Man talked me into it.
RustyKnife: But Plump Helmet Men don't even have brains!
MissingLimbs: He was a competent persuader and a skilled liar.
RustyKnife: Somebody pit this poor fool before somebody "persuades" him to trade his eyeballs for magic beans.
I have so far executed three dwarves by means of impalement ... for bringing cats into my fortress.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: July 10, 2014, 10:17:28 pm »

Plump helmet men becoming mayor is just the result of the Other trying to install its favoured creations in positions of power.

Plump helmet men mayors are awesome. They don't make mandates. They don't get upset in the same way dwarves do. They conduct meetings quickly and efficiently. They're just BETTER then any being of puny flesh and bone could ever be.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Kougarkat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: July 10, 2014, 11:54:52 pm »

Bug:  Trying to build a Water Staff and whenever the job completes -- no output.  I've successfully made air and earth staves. 

Edit: Finally got it to work.  No idea what the problem was.  About ~10 attempts ~5 got a job cancelled message the rest I couldn't find one but I've finally got 1 water staff.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 10:25:55 am by Kougarkat »

Firehawk45

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: July 11, 2014, 02:48:09 am »

Plump helmet men becoming mayor is just the result of the Other trying to install its favoured creations in positions of power.

Plump helmet men mayors are awesome. They don't make mandates. They don't get upset in the same way dwarves do. They conduct meetings quickly and efficiently. They're just BETTER then any being of puny flesh and bone could ever be.

Soooo, Im calling !!!SCIENCE!!! on that one. Someone get me a way to turn my mayor into a plump helmet man while he keeps his noble position. And secondly, someone test the rest of noble positions. Chief medical wont work i guess, and bookkkeeper needs an office, but broker? Can you assign a plump helmet man as a noble? An if not, what do we need to turn all forts into wretched hives, where plump helmet men rule over the dwarves with their chilled, efficent attitude, keeping them content with plump helmet man wine and roast of their less privileged brethren.

windalu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: July 11, 2014, 03:44:12 am »

Why do you want to make a living of selling food? It's harder to get than in vanilla, you're much better off selling crafts for food than the other way around. True, the insane high value trap components are fixed, but you can have some priest Pray for soft metal/R, and if you have peat, you have unlimited fuel too. Platinum goblets fetch a nice price.  ;D

it may be a bit harder than in vanilla, but it is still easy and cheap to get food. 1 fisherman, 1 herbalist and a few farmers net me more than the whole world can eat :D not to mention you can order animals from caravans to slaughter. I would say food has much better dwarftime and player effort/value ratio.

when there is a real shortage of food (like when I embark with very little provisions), I sell wicker wheelbarrows :D
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 92