Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Seeking Dynamic Economic Games  (Read 17 times)

Abram Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Games by Abe Jones
Seeking Dynamic Economic Games
« on: Today at 05:20:19 am »

I've been working on a list of economic games that have financial features that are dynamic with the game industry for several years now. From 2023 and 2024 there seems to be a dry spell within this classification of games, which is not uncommon. The games don't have to necessarily be from this time frame as I have games on the list that go back to the mid 1900s. I would imagine some of you here might come up with some ideas. I have been here before to check but it has been several years. Here is a link to all games I have on the list so far: https://economicgames.nfshost.com/sfeg/

Games on this list must have industrial mechanics that are dynamic with at least 1 of the following financial tools: shares, debt, currency. At least 1 industrial function must be distinct from other functions in the game. The financial tool must also be dynamic with the industry, as opposed to static or random. Below is a brief description of the requirements for each type.
  • Shares: Shares must be able to raise funds directly by the entity that issues them. This disqualifies the majority of "stock market" games.
  • Debt: Lenders must be dynamic entities within the game, whether they are NPCs or other players. This disqualifies games that offer static debt from a bottomless or dormant entity.
  • Currency: At least 1 type of currency must have value that is dynamic with player actions that impact the industry. This can be done with an equation that determines value based on economic results or through market value... but not randomness. This disqualifies most games as they only use static currencies. Often games with dynamic currency allow players to mint or print currency.

If anyone is interested I have formed groups at various places for those interested in such economic and business games: https://economicgames.nfshost.com/sfeg/community.htm