Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2211241 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Madness. Mayhem. Mugs. (34.11)
« Reply #5775 on: October 01, 2012, 02:22:30 pm »

what i was thinking was guns in a cargo container, and as the real life version can cary two, thats 2 guns, and that space can be used for other containers, like the sort of thing the us tried in vietnam, I.E., base inabox
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5776 on: October 01, 2012, 02:24:09 pm »

Why does the phrase Base-in-aBox sound like something dwarves would be dumb enough to try?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5777 on: October 01, 2012, 02:26:23 pm »

idk. its a cargo container with 40-odd troops in it.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5778 on: October 01, 2012, 08:09:25 pm »

idk. its a cargo container with 40-odd troops in it.
Why does the phrase Base-in-aBox sound like something dwarves would be dumb enough to try?

That is pretty much the definition of a dorfy idea.
"Dude, let's pile forty guys into a box and drop it into a swarm of enemies from the air!"
"That is the most... Brilliant thing I've ever heard. We wouldn't even have to walk to them!"
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5779 on: October 01, 2012, 08:14:41 pm »

yes, go us army, dwarfier than some dwarves.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5780 on: October 01, 2012, 08:46:46 pm »

See, when i hear base in a box, i think of something that's a combination of a UNSC Pelican troop transport, and Eliphant mobile assault platform, with the option to unfold into a fully functional base.
EDIT: And the only way to deploy it is from low earth orbit, like the drop pod of an ODST.
... I've been playing Halo lately, can you tell?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 08:51:06 pm by Xahnel »

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5781 on: October 01, 2012, 08:49:47 pm »

im thinking cargo containers filled with troops and things needed in a base
Highly Opinionated Fool

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5782 on: October 01, 2012, 08:55:52 pm »

Of course, my idea would also call for drop pods so the soldiers, support, and command staff can arrive with the base.
EDIT: As a reader of Tom Clancy, i must disagree sharply with the argument that non of the companies need an air force. The point of an air force is to deliver pain where your troops cannot reach, to be a speedy interdiction force, and to harrass and assault enemies far from the front lines. Bombers are there to deliver the payloads, air transports to deliver troops, vehicles, and supplies, and fighters have a dual mission: defending their bombers and transports, and destroying the opponents bombers and transports. As well, even with 90% of a base underground, you can still deliver major, and nearly immediate (as compared to the kind of time and resources ground troops alone would take to perform the equivalent task) pain and destruction. And an underground base is subject to shock, and cave in. Especially if you use a bunker busting bomb/missile, which is best delivered with a bomber or fighter.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 09:06:08 pm by Xahnel »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5783 on: October 01, 2012, 09:30:15 pm »

I can't really word my bias against them in any justafiable way. I just flat don't think they're needed in this world because other weapons have picked up the slack.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5784 on: October 01, 2012, 09:51:26 pm »

I can't really word my bias against them in any justafiable way. I just flat don't think they're needed in this world because other weapons have picked up the slack.

BSSS: Because Splint Said So?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #5785 on: October 01, 2012, 10:13:30 pm »

Can we please please please steer the discussion away from this? If there's one thing I've learned from my time on the Internet, it's that when nerds start debating anything even remotely-related to combat, everyone loses. It just turns into a dick-waving contest with no end in sight; 'I think my sources are better than yours, therefore I win our unspoken imaginary fight to the death!' 'Oh yeah? Well, I think my sources are better! Suck on that!'.

I'm not saying it's at that point yet, but it looks to me like it's sliding in that direction and I'd rather it not go any further. It looks like it's starting to trail off anyways, but... let's just skip to the part where it ends without anything being resolved. Please.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5786 on: October 01, 2012, 10:17:02 pm »

@Splint: no, you're quite right, a large air force is unneeded. But no one having even a small one is pretty off in my mind. After all, at least one company has been stated to have soldiers and commanders of all species, and thus veiwpoints of all kinds, not just the earthen focus of Dwarves. As well, with aerial forgotten beasts, and demons, you can't tell me the thought of ruling the skies over a battle hasn't occured to any of them. You can't use the "90% underground" reason, because almost all battles take place aboveground, in the sun. As well, you can't tell me cost is an issue, because there is no one in the multiverses of Dwarf Fortress that actually cares how much something is, except as a bragging right. "this pair of shoes used ten flakes of adamantium, and costs fifty million dorfbucks. This fighter jet cost 10 billion dorfbucks, three guys died while we were developing it, and we got twenty of 'em." (all of this is said in a voice of inordinate pride.)
@Hanslanda: i don't really accept that, because it almost prohibits thought and counter argument.
@Mr Frog: Ninja'd. Yes, there is the potential of a nerd off, but this is closely related to the time war story, plus, i like to think, on this site at least, we're mature enough to keep our pants securely in the upright position.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5787 on: October 01, 2012, 11:04:52 pm »

BSSS: Because Splint Said So?

Unacceptable. I just have a bias against them when it comes to fiction as in the real world, I percieve them as well.... not really as effective as they're made out to be. I just veer away from anything besides repuposed frieghter type deals because I see it as such: Artillary is sufficently advanced to make up for the lack of fire power. Essentially, the terrestrial big guns make up for the lack of expensive flying things which in this world probably won't really work right anyway (I was leery even about the skids and moghoppers when I decided to use them because I've based alot of the physics upon the game's actual physics, and flying things.... don't fly too good...)

Actually I got bored the other day and thought of a game idea based on the timewar story that had baseline riflemen armed with an artillary designater for a little gadet.

Xahnel

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5788 on: October 01, 2012, 11:50:12 pm »

See, now that's understandable. In war, controll of the skies doesn't amount to nearly as much as the media makes it out to be, because the media doesn't realise that sky fighting and land fighting are two seperate wars that intercept on key points, such as sabatoging the enemy's supply convoy, or attempting to take out the command and control center. The fight for air superiority is so that you can do bad things to the enemy on the ground, not because the sky is such an important peice of territory. An air force (and a navy too) is support for the real combat, the ground troops. But normal people never seem to understand this. It's an old soviet joke from when they used to wargame, and the home team beat the invaders. "so comrade, who won the air war today?"

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5789 on: October 02, 2012, 07:18:55 am »

Spoiler: because epic derail (click to show/hide)

I'd like to make it perfectly clear that I don't like the thought of ANY air vehicles flying over (or near) Spearbreakers - and that includes the blood plains (at least until the Last Battle, when all stops are pulled). I'm just trying to point out that it doesn't make sense to say that there isn't any air power at all. They're just not using it. Probably because of interdimensional law - "Don't let the locals see your tech" or something.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 08:28:15 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand
Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 815