Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.14 Released  (Read 56226 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.14 Released
« Reply #120 on: September 28, 2010, 11:41:43 am »

To this claim that invaders aren't showing up for 5 years, I'd like to see how that looks in the Fortress Defence mod. If we really can't do anything to get invasions early then that's something Toady should look into fast, but I'm not convinced yet. Blasted... if I had more time I'd make a fort myself to find out...
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 28, 2010, 12:24:51 pm »

I did that, and one of the red-flag instructions was to gen the world in .12 and convert it to the newer version - I didn't try genning it in .14 though.  Since there is a ready workaround anyway (generating the world in .12 gets invaders in non-Fortress Defense worlds also) I don't really see this as a high priority problem, although I'd like to hear if it's a design change or just a bug.

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 28, 2010, 03:21:45 pm »

Incidentally I just started an unmodded .12 map, converted to .14 before embarking, and then started playing it in .14, and I'm getting the expected schedule of invaders (actually a bit brisk, ambush in the second year), so mods/no mods has nothing to do with this as far as I can tell.

jotapeh

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 28, 2010, 04:06:52 pm »

Registered so I could chime in on the Mac issues. It would seem that it's not just 10.4.x that has problems.

While df runs just fine on my Macbook Pro running 10.6.4, I have a Mac Pro as well that it will not run on.. which is running.. 10.6.4. Very strange. I got this error:

dyld: Symbol not found: __ZNSt8__detail12__prime_listE
Referenced from: /Users/john/Downloads/df_osx/./dwarfort.exe
Expected in: /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.6.dylib

Just to be a cheeky bugger I went and replaced my libstdc++.6.dylib on the Mac Pro from the Macbook Pro. After temporarily bricking my computer, I managed to sort it out and still get the same error.

Addendum to the above - building GCC on the affected Mac Pro solved the issue.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 28, 2010, 04:08:33 pm »

Incidentally I just started an unmodded .12 map, converted to .14 before embarking, and then started playing it in .14, and I'm getting the expected schedule of invaders (actually a bit brisk, ambush in the second year), so mods/no mods has nothing to do with this as far as I can tell.
I thought invaders came when the value of your fortress flagged a certain value... I've swear I've had attacks within the first year in previous builds when I go nuts selling off stuff to caravans.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 28, 2010, 04:55:28 pm »

This invader schedule thing isn't tied to fortress value - if I gen the world in .12 and convert, I get kobolds in year 1 even if I build almost nothing at all, but a "pure" .14 world is not behaving the same way at all, across 6 or 7 games I tried.

KamenRiderNixa

• Bay Watcher
  • Every morning, before a mirror, I wash my face.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 28, 2010, 07:16:29 pm »

Thank you Today! May my dwarves engrave your likeness commemorating the release.

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 28, 2010, 07:42:17 pm »

While I always love to see new versions, I'm afraid .13 and .14 have been unplayable for me. Quite literally, I can't get the damn thing to start.

I keep getting "failed to start because application configuration is incorrect" error messages. Tried re-installing (well, deleting and redownloading, same dif) and no dice. It's the Windows SDL version if that helps.
This is an error message generated by one of the MSVC dlls.  It is looking for a .MANIFEST even though it shouldn't.  All of the older dll files are available as a seperate download.  I found my system only required "Microsoft.VC80.CRT.MANIFEST" to be added to the DF folder.

I'm having that same error and I want to play DF on my new(ish) computer. How would I go about adding that file?
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 28, 2010, 08:12:06 pm »

To this claim that invaders aren't showing up for 5 years, I'd like to see how that looks in the Fortress Defence mod. If we really can't do anything to get invasions early then that's something Toady should look into fast, but I'm not convinced yet. Blasted... if I had more time I'd make a fort myself to find out...

I was scanning the forums while bug-testing an update to Fortress Defense...and now I know why my fort's been sitting there for six years with no invaders...
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 28, 2010, 08:51:54 pm »

I can't seem to do the .12->.14 trick.  My worlds have no goblins listed in the civ screen, which I assume means they all died in world-gen.  Tried 20 times..only thing I edited in the raws was removing the clothes they wear.  Any thoughts?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 28, 2010, 09:25:59 pm »

I can't seem to do the .12->.14 trick.  My worlds have no goblins listed in the civ screen, which I assume means they all died in world-gen.  Tried 20 times..only thing I edited in the raws was removing the clothes they wear.  Any thoughts?

When you actually start playing the fort in Fortress Mode, pressing "c" only brings up the list of civs you've encountered. The only place that tells you whether goblins have access to your fort is in the embark stats that you see before you press "e" to embark, accessed by pressing tab to cycle through various screens. If you do not see goblins in that screen, or if six years later the goblins have not come, that is a problem.

Edit:
Are you running the df_savegame_updater.bat batch file to convert the save folder?
it also matters WHERE you embark, e.g. islands or areas isolated by mountains will never see other civs besides dwarven (and possibly not even them, if your parent civ is hosed).
what, I knew nothing about this process. When did this become a necessity?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 01:37:13 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 28, 2010, 10:04:49 pm »

Are you running the df_savegame_updater.bat batch file to convert the save folder?
it also matters WHERE you embark, e.g. islands or areas isolated by mountains will never see other civs besides dwarven (and possibly not even them, if your parent civ is hosed).

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 28, 2010, 11:24:48 pm »

I was not using "c".  I am looking at the world view, pre-embark.  I've generated 25 worlds and only 2 of them had any goblins left after 200 years.   I realize it is regional, and look across the entire world map before believing goblins are missing.

Are you running the df_savegame_updater.bat batch file to convert the save folder

I didn't know that was needed as folks just said to drop the region folder from .12 into .14.  I'm just trying to get a .12 world, not a .12 save.  Is that still necessary?

After some diffing, it looks like the entity raws differ between .12 and .14.  I had edited the .14 raws so goblins have no clothing and crap, but apparently copying it back to .12 broke them.  So... let's see if that fixes my problem.

So confusing :(
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 11:33:13 pm by Juason »

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 28, 2010, 11:51:20 pm »

I'm pretty sure the updater has to be run, yes.

sebs

• Bay Watcher
  • Nun sind unser zwey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 29, 2010, 03:31:51 am »

I believe you have to mark slade as undiggable in the raw files when updating from .12 to 14. Or let the updater do that.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11