Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 45

Author Topic: Roll through the Keep of Bloodstained Dreams (86 -Story time over)  (Read 45454 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile

I've considered returning to GMing after my AoR game died. And I've considered starting an RTD game. Somewhat complex, with some rules worked out already. Soft (near liquid, in fact) SciFi, very loosely based on an existing property (a few background plot points, mostly). This... isn't that game. Rather, this is a limited test whether I'm actually ready to return to GMing. It's set in a fantasy world, more properly in and by a structure named the Keep of Bloodstained Dreams.

Basic rules:
5 players, no waitlist (the game ends once every character is dead.), first come, first served
Each character must have one reason for adventuring (and ideally a few lines of background), two exceptional traits, whether skill, class, race, or what have you (at it's most basic, this could simply something you want the character to excel at; I'll handle the details, including toning things down to a reasonable level), and three exceptional pieces of equipment (again, I'll handle the gritty details, just list something that you want the character to have; if any characters don't have some exceptional armor, weapon, or clothing, they'll have mundane versions that provide no benefit.)

1 - Epic fail. Not only didn't you succeed at your task, you made the situation much worse.
2 - Failure. You didn't succeed, but outside the natural consequences of taking your action, nothing worse has resulted.
3 - Near miss. Nothing good came out of this, but you may have learned from your failure.
4 - Near hit. This didn't quite go how you wanted, but at least part of the job's done.
5 - Nailed it! That's a job well done. You probably learned something as well.
6 - Overkill! What the Whoa! Yes, you did kill the monster, but you also destroyed a few structural pillars! Better get out of here!

You have arrived. Well, mostly - you're at the base of the mountains in which the keep is, but it can't be more than two or three days until you reach it. Locals call it the Keep of Bloodstained Dreams, a grandiose name for what is likely to be little more than an abandoned ruin. Some say it used to be a temple to an evil god. Others claim it used to be the headquarters of a deranged cult obsessed with blood. Or ashes. Or what else deranged cultist may end up being obsessed with. Whatever the truth is, no one has dared to set foot into the keep for decades at least, making it a prime target for adventurers like you and your friends... or at least the guys who ended up having the same destination as you. Huh. Do you actually know any of these people?
The path in front of you is clear, an inscribed stone standing nearby.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 01:16:11 pm by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Roll through the Keep of Bloodstained Dreams
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 04:47:45 am »

Name: Zalgus
Reason: Attaining forbidden knowledge
Bio: A necromancer of the insidious researching variety, Zalgus' lust for dark knowledge has led him to the Keep, where he is quite certain nefarious tomes, foul artifacts, or at least vile, studyable creatures lie waiting to be found.
Traits: Sage, Necromancer
Equipment: Skull Staff, Grim Robe, Manhide Grimoire
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 05:02:20 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 05:46:52 am »

Now I can't stop thinking about a regenerating daemon fighter instead. Hrm.

Spoiler: Just for comparison (click to show/hide)

Arguably wiser for a harsh dungeon, I suppose?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 06:15:15 am »

Name: Trael
Race: Human Skeleton bound together by magic.
Reason: Brought back to life solely to seek the Keep, for reasons unknown to any other than the one who raised him.
Bio: A victim of a  forgotten war, slain by treachery and re-animated by some foul sorcery... Or prophecy?
Awakening some weeks ago in unbearable agony, trapped a simple wooden coffin outside a small village wearing nothing but a rotted burial shift, he-- or it-- knew nothing of his past or why he was once again 'alive', knowing only a name, "Trael", and that he could not rest until he had reached the Keep and confront whatever was within.
Clutched in his dead hand was a blade, ostensibly that he was buried with, and a creased, yellowed piece of paper bearing a map to the Keep of Bloodstained Dreams.
Appearance: Once a tall, broadly-built human, now reduced to gleaming bones and a few strips of skin binding the whole figure together. The eye sockets glow with some faint light, and upon his forhead is an unholy symbol written in dried blood.
A few faded strands of hair cling to bits of scalp in places, and he has just enough flesh remaining to smell bad.
Unsurprisingly, the voice which issues somehow from his long-dead jaw is incredibly hoarse and raspy. Fond of black humour.
Traits: Unfeeling(Feels no pain other than that within his reanimated soul), Driven(Lives solely for the purpose of... Well, finding his purpose, and hopefully then returning to his rest).
Items: Ancient, battered steel greatsword, heavy green woolen cloak(used to cover his appearance), and a large earthworm named Larry who has taken up residence in his rotting skull. Apparently Larry ended up gaining sentience in the whole 'being brought back to cursed undead life' fiasco... He's about as bitter and sarcastic as a worm can get.

((Is that too vague of a reason? :-\ I could probably write some silly nonsense about a necromancer if needs be.))
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 07:28:07 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 06:39:20 am »

((Everyone is going along the !!DEATH!! theme?  :P))

Name: Rorrim
Race: Human
Reason: A mercenary, deciding to thrust his life to traveling the world for general knowledge.
Bio: After his youth, Rorrim traveled the world as a mercenary, eager not for gold or glory but for experience. He yearned to encounter exotic fighting styles, and master every weapon he could lay his hands on, choosing to live by action and by his word alone.
Appearance: Rorrim stands at six feet in height, with a body built solely out of muscle and ropy tendon. His skin is tanned, and his eyes and hair are both of a darker shade.

Unsurprisingly, his voice is deep.

Traits: Vigilant | Warrior
Items: Tempered Steel Lochaber Axe, Woad dye (body paint), Hardened Leather Armor

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 06:44:25 am »

((Huh, I didn't notice Irony's sheet was a necromancer.
Also, why do you have woad and armour? :P Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose?))
Booze is Life for Yoink

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 06:59:08 am »

((Huh, I didn't notice Irony's sheet was a necromancer.
Also, why do you have woad and armour? :P Doesn't that kinda defeat the purpose?))
((I can't think of a name for armored pants... I'm envisioning a man clothed only on the lower body, excluding the top.))

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 07:24:23 am »

And that's four.
Irony/Zalgus - which Zalgus do you want to go with?
Loud Whispers/Rorgrin
Yoink/Trael
Tiruin/Rorrim
Before I start on the sheets... Loud Whispers, Yoink, you can assume that everyone has a light source and a map to the keep. Unless the rolls go terribly wrong, that map has mostly outlived its usefulness by now. You can replace those items if you want (though the light source could of course be better than the common light sources.)
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 07:26:35 am »

((Ehh, it's alright- I can't think of anything else my guy would have. Maybe a few earthworms crawling in his skull? :P

E: My god I am a genius. Edited my sheet.))
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 07:28:39 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 07:28:28 am »

((Ehh, it's alright- I can't think of anything else my guy would have. Maybe a few earthworms crawling in his skull? :P))
I might be able to work with that. No promises, though.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2012, 07:37:40 am »

((Ehh, it's alright- I can't think of anything else my guy would have. Maybe a few earthworms crawling in his skull? :P

E: My god I am a genius. Edited my sheet.))
[...]and a large earthworm named Larry who has taken up residence in his rotting skull. Apparently Larry ended up gaining sentience in the whole 'being brought back to cursed undead life' fiasco... He's about as bitter and sarcastic as a worm can get.
((Oh, Intuition. Why is the only thing you send me, a steel girded loincloth. This guy has all your lucks.  :P))

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
Re: Roll through the Keep of Bloodstained Dreams (4/5 players)
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 10:34:52 am »

Name: Baradine Mckane

Reason: To become stronger.

Bio: Baradine was born in a small village off of the coast.  He lived in relative piece for the first part of his life, but things were not to be so simple.  The King was, and had for years, levying an exorbitant tax.  Baradine left the village, not only to escape the tax, but so he could one day return to his kingdom and destroy the King.  (I'm going to be very naive.  I'll be smart, but naive.  This should be fun).

Traits: Skilled Swordsman, Fire Magic.

Equipment: Bronze Longsword, A Bronze Shield, a Tome of Fire Magic.

(Edited the Items)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 10:47:27 am by Baradine »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Roll through the Keep of Bloodstained Dreams (4/5 players)
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 10:46:57 am »

That's four items, Baradine, but you're only getting three at the start. One of them is going to be a mundane item granting no benefits.
Ed. Ah, you already changed it.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 01:23:37 pm »

If we've all got light, I think I'll go for a rope. You always need rope.

ALWAYS.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 45