Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1566153 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1305 on: October 08, 2010, 10:03:02 pm »

Toady; please don't have Trolls as one of the names of the new night creatures, these creatures don't fit the modern definition of trolls, and instead seem more like changelings.  Or will it be possibke to modify the name myself?

Allow me to entertain and educate you! Edutainment!

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AllTrollsAreDifferent

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: October 08, 2010, 10:07:44 pm »

Eh, I have nothing better to do tonight.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: October 08, 2010, 10:40:12 pm »

Allow me to entertain and educate you! Edutainment!

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AllTrollsAreDifferent
I'd call you a monster for posting that, but I've already read that one, so, meh.

In other news, this news of random trolls sounds like loads of fun.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: October 08, 2010, 10:43:02 pm »

Btw can FB and demonwebs be harvested for silk? If yes how much are they worth?
Yes, value 1.

Which is the same value as cave spider / phantom spider silk, I think (since they have no value multiplier)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: October 09, 2010, 12:00:02 am »

After reading the new Threetoe story, I just remembered that random monsters with random material weaknesses will be interesting.

"Back, foul spawn of the abyss! I have microcline!"
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: October 09, 2010, 12:21:09 am »

Toady, this is important to know: You said that the transformed creature no longer cares about their former lives, and ignore previous familiar relationships. Does the still human spouse care? They better...

I'm thinking it would also be fantastic if people had different ways of mourning the loss of a loved one to transformation, and how that would effect the quests you'd be given. Some would want their transformed spouse killed (That's not my husband, that's the thing that killed my husband. Kill it for me!") while some might be unable to let go and long to be reunited, probably to the point of getting killed, while others might insist on setting you on a quest to find some cure (that probably won't actually work)...

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: October 09, 2010, 01:54:45 am »

Also who else thought on "The beauty and the beast" as you were reading the dev-blog?

IMO the Nightcreature transformation is even more interesting and tragic if the victim does remember his old life, at least to some degree. Perhaps an adventurer might find one who remembers enough to give an adventurer information or even a quest. Perhaps a Nightcreature might take it upon itself to defend its old home, even if the inhabitants would flee in terror from it or shoot it on sight. Or it might decide to destroy its old home to expunge the painful memories.

Toady, is it planned for it to be possible for Nightcreatures to sometimes retain a connection to their original lives beyond just history trivia? Perhaps enough to allow conversation, perhaps just enough to bias its actions regarding people or civilizations it used to know?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: October 09, 2010, 02:29:06 am »

Hah, the new "night creature transformation", if there's an ability to make more than one "mate" through modding, will bring us a long-wanted ability to make real zombie mods! :D
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: October 09, 2010, 03:30:36 am »

Toady; please don't have Trolls as one of the names of the new night creatures, these creatures don't fit the modern definition of trolls, and instead seem more like changelings.  Or will it be possibke to modify the name myself?
The modern definition of a troll is a person who posts things on the internet to cause trouble. Either that, or just some sort of roughly humanoid critter that's mostly solitary and doesn't look like normal folks. Often they eat people or kidnap children or both. Often they're evil or mischievous. Often they have some form of magic.
Those are the only real constants.

The night creatures thus far added are entirely unlike changelings. I would be very pleased to see the fair folk and their kin in Dwarf Fortress, but the Night Creature system, as it has thus far been developed, is not suited to that purpose. Of course, it's only just been started, it's quite possible that it'll be suitable before too long.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: October 09, 2010, 04:36:57 am »

The modern definition of a troll
Thanks for the laugh :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: October 09, 2010, 11:31:29 am »

I suppose that in order to have night creatures, you have to first have night. Is it yet possible to determine when 'night' is in DF?
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: October 09, 2010, 12:05:38 pm »

Hah, the new "night creature transformation", if there's an ability to make more than one "mate" through modding, will bring us a long-wanted ability to make real zombie mods! :D

I love you. Will we see "Deon's Zombie Madness Mod" in the future?

*Goes off to think about zombies in DF*
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: October 09, 2010, 12:24:45 pm »

I suppose that in order to have night creatures, you have to first have night. Is it yet possible to determine when 'night' is in DF?

Yep, you can tell the weather and rough time of day in Adventurer mode.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Shadowfury333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: October 09, 2010, 01:20:54 pm »

I would be very pleased to see the fair folk and their kin in Dwarf Fortress

How are the elves not this? Admittedly, they don't do any babysnatching nor try to mind control dwarves with their charm, but they are still thin, prissy, wood-using cannibals (who try to mind control players with their charm).
Currently Building: Purplesaber (pit mine/anthill/80 z-level wound in the earth)

Former Projects: Roughnesschants(multi-level aboveground city)

Best summary of Dwarf Fortress:
I'm fairly certain every path in the game leads to some sort of massive execution.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: October 09, 2010, 01:39:39 pm »

I would be very pleased to see the fair folk and their kin in Dwarf Fortress
With "fair folk", you surely mean elves dwarves goblins kittens clowns zombie elephants... crap, is there anything at all in this game that is not unfairer than a crapload of billion-dwarfbuck artifact cotton candy warhammers in a military-based fortress during a goblin war?
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 342