Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1567351 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #2730 on: December 19, 2010, 10:40:09 pm »

also, as this is a topic that interests me, what is the latest word on it? the last time i heard of it footkerchief had found POWERGOAL 153 and we rejoiced

Here's the collection of quotes (it's too long to post here).  I don't think Toady has made any more recent comments.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: December 19, 2010, 11:04:19 pm »

Nope.

Powergoal153, THE CRACKS OF DOOM, (Future): You flee into the sewer with the baron's ring, but sliding in the muck,  you drop it.  Try as you might, you cannot locate the precious object in  the town's filth.

Eh. I've played a million sewer levels in a thousand games, and have yet to see a single solitary stool in any of them. I just assumed that "the town's filth" was going to be that generic green sludge that always seems to show up in computer game sewers. Rotting vegetables is my guess as to what it is, although DF sewers could be a disgusting tube of gristle, vermin parts, blood and vomit.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: December 20, 2010, 12:56:37 am »

Eh. I've played a million sewer levels in a thousand games, and have yet to see a single solitary stool in any of them. I just assumed that "the town's filth" was going to be that generic green sludge that always seems to show up in computer game sewers. Rotting vegetables is my guess as to what it is, although DF sewers could be a disgusting tube of gristle, vermin parts, blood and vomit.

still, for there to be sewers, there must be a reason. you can't have sewers if you don't have anything producing sewage, i find it hard to believe that toady would implement a kind of mystical sewer, not unlike a minotaur's labirynth, that magically spawns in the middle of the wilderness

also, as this is a topic that interests me, what is the latest word on it? the last time i heard of it footkerchief had found POWERGOAL 153 and we rejoiced

Here's the collection of quotes (it's too long to post here).  I don't think Toady has made any more recent comments.

yeah, i know those. thanks anyway.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: December 20, 2010, 01:29:29 am »

edit: nvm
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #2734 on: December 20, 2010, 11:20:10 am »

With contaminants, vomiting dwarves, blood from butchery, I could see sewers being a sensible precaution.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: December 20, 2010, 02:49:46 pm »

Well sewers can also work as additional drainage for rain the Springflood and what not.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: December 20, 2010, 03:26:17 pm »

From the OP:

Regarding the two of the top ten ESV items not specifically addressed on the new page, sped-up pathfinding and graphics support, the idea with the first is an upcoming date with the linux profiler now that we've got DF running over there to address the low-hanging fruit on the main grievance behind the suggestion (large, slow forts).  In the case of supporting tiles for each game object, I need to figure out the deal with all the new SDL code before I can lay anything out in stark terms.  The textures are stored differently (in a single atlas if it still works that way), and I'm not sure if it'll be feasible to move to full item/map texture support without altering the way that works.

That was about 6 months ago.  Have these been on hold because Baughn's busy?

Cardinal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: December 20, 2010, 09:34:22 pm »

Will we start to see not-death endings of adventurers any time soon?  Such as adventurers thrown into dungeons, enslaved, mentally dominated by night creatures or otherwise incapacitated and able to be rescued/fought by later adventurers?

Also, is the current on-map cycle of forgotten beasts, titans, dragons and so on going to become more nuanced any time soon?  I'm particularly wondering about creatures interested in items (especially if they become part of the economy--I suppose that could apply more to raiding parties) and especially creatures--whether normal or mega--that leave the map in a timely manner, to carry on with their life.
Engraved is an image of a Human and a video game. The Human is making a plaintive gesture.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: December 20, 2010, 10:26:00 pm »

Please take no offense, but I don't think this sort of questions ("When will you implement XY", "How soon will this be"?) leads anywhere, they only clutter the thread and take from Toady's time. The current long-term development schedule is available at the main DF page, and Toady usually describes his short-term development plans in his monthly reports and the development blog. Aside from that, your guess is as good as Toady's, I think.

This is not just against you, Cardinal, I'm talking in general - these questions are disturbingly common lately.
(And yes, I don't mean Footkerchief's, because that's about something Toady actually "promised" of sorts.)
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

CharlesPeter

• Bay Watcher
  • My Dark Twisted Pretzel Fantasy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: December 20, 2010, 10:51:51 pm »

Kind of an idle question, and not very relevant; but I was just wondering. You've mentioned that multi-tile and z-level trees will be implemented for elven settlements. Would the length of world-gen affect the size and height of the elven structures? As in, if you ceased genning at 100 years, would the trees be smaller than if you genned the whole 1000 years? Or would they work in the same way as castles, just organic.

Also, in regards to adventure mode, will there ever be torture/interrogation after capturing an enemy, in order to gain information about further parts in quests?

Sorry if either of those has been asked before.
UU,.~U~,.\b,.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: December 20, 2010, 11:01:34 pm »

Will we start to see not-death endings of adventurers any time soon?  Such as adventurers thrown into dungeons, enslaved, mentally dominated by night creatures or otherwise incapacitated and able to be rescued/fought by later adventurers?

Several such scenarios are listed on the dev page: (excerpted for brevity)

# Justice
    * Surrender to those seeking you
          o When you make a command that follows an order, there should be an option to skip ahead to stages of the journey (such as to a dungeon or halfway through the journey back if you want to attempt to escape from your captor)
    * Punishment
          o Imprisonment (until there are ways to escape, might as well retire the character, at which point rescue might be possible by a subsequent character)

Adventurer Role: Slayer of Night Creatures
    * Torment the living
          o Some victims can end up drained as subvillains or slaves in the same way a bandit leader has subordinates
    * Curses and exposure
          o The slaves of night creatures could have extreme effects from proximity that also affect you if you make a business of hunting them

Also, is the current on-map cycle of forgotten beasts, titans, dragons and so on going to become more nuanced any time soon?  I'm particularly wondering about creatures interested in items (especially if they become part of the economy--I suppose that could apply more to raiding parties) and especially creatures--whether normal or mega--that leave the map in a timely manner, to carry on with their life.

Rogue creatures will have more nuanced goals, yes:

# Megabeasts
    * Share any intelligent/diplomacy behavior that other hist figs have when appropriate

Kind of an idle question, and not very relevant; but I was just wondering. You've mentioned that multi-tile and z-level trees will be implemented for elven settlements. Would the length of world-gen affect the size and height of the elven structures? As in, if you ceased genning at 100 years, would the trees be smaller than if you genned the whole 1000 years? Or would they work in the same way as castles, just organic.

The part about roots breaking into caverns probably implies gradual growth of multi-tile trees:

Quote from: Toady One
I'd prefer to have realistically-sized root systems, including shallow roots and taproots and all of that, but it might depend a bit on how the underground plays with it.  Of course, having roots breaking in through the ceiling of a cavern is cool, so maybe it's all good anyway.  It'll also make things like gathering tuber-type things more fun.

Also, in regards to adventure mode, will there ever be torture/interrogation after capturing an enemy, in order to gain information about further parts in quests?

The dev page is a great place to look for answers to questions like this:

# Capturing people alive and interrogations
    * Ability to disarm opponents
    * Ability to hold somebody and immobilize them
    * Ability to attempt to knock somebody out without killing them
    * Surrendering in the face of death or death threat coupled with inability to escape or win
    * Being able to ask people for the specific location of another person or place
    * Allowing people to lie
    * Ability to offer quick deaths to mortally wounded people to get them to talk
    * Being able to force a prisoner to guide you somewhere
    * Other interrogation stuff
    * Making sure tracking works to the point that you could follow a released prisoner or other group back to a hideout

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: December 21, 2010, 05:21:41 am »

Please take no offense, but I don't think this sort of questions ("When will you implement XY", "How soon will this be"?) leads anywhere, they only clutter the thread and take from Toady's time. The current long-term development schedule is available at the main DF page, and Toady usually describes his short-term development plans in his monthly reports and the development blog. Aside from that, your guess is as good as Toady's, I think.

I kinda disagree. Our dabbling guesswork is not as good as Toady's and here is a good place to put a question you'd like to have him take a Legendary guess at.

Of course green things should try and stay as OP as possible, but that is a hard line to draw. There are always good tangents along the way to the next release and it is an easy place to look and see what is on the community's mind. It's what I do, not following many other threads here makes time management easier for me certainly. =) Hah, not every question pulls him away from coding and/or feeding Scamps the moment it gets posted.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 05:24:11 am by slMagnvox »

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #2742 on: December 21, 2010, 08:46:07 am »

I kinda disagree. Our dabbling guesswork is not as good as Toady's and here is a good place to put a question you'd like to have him take a Legendary guess at.

Well, many such questions are thinly-veiled suggestions (I am guilty of that too, of course).

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: December 21, 2010, 08:54:35 am »

Exactly. By now, we have a good idea of the general scope of the next release. It's one thing to ask how this scope will be achieved without X feature, whether this release will incorporate Y supporting feature, or if it is a lead-in to Z plan. It's something else entirely to start shotgunning out questions that are not even tagentally related.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: December 21, 2010, 03:23:57 pm »

Don't forget: this is the "Future of the Fortress: The Development Page", and I'd assume that means any and all discussion/questions about the future of Dwarf Fortress are fair game. Then again, loads of "Can you put this in?" are kind of distracting.
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 342