Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Super Meat Boy!  (Read 3750 times)

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Super Meat Boy!
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2010, 12:06:10 pm »

Quite a bit of the worlds are pretty straightfoward, even dark world ones. IWBTG is intentionaly unintuitive and downright unforgiving all the time.

Agreed, but I think that's just the "Fuck you, player! Fuck me? Fuck you, developer!"-factor, that super meat boy doesn't have.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2010, 12:45:23 pm »

Quite a bit of the worlds are pretty straightfoward, even dark world ones. IWBTG is intentionaly unintuitive and downright unforgiving all the time.

Agreed, but I think that's just the "Fuck you, player! Fuck me? Fuck you, developer!"-factor, that super meat boy doesn't have.
What it does have is "you actually completed that nigh impossible sequence of "no room for error" maneuvers... have you ever heard of this thing called a life?"
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 12:11:32 pm by Pnx »

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2010, 01:01:15 pm »

What it does have is "you actually completed that nigh impossible sequence of "no room for error" maneuvers... have you ever heard of this thing called a life?

Is it something edible?

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2010, 07:54:17 am »

Ok, so I went and gone and bought it.

First thoughts:

Yeah, good. I had performance issues that seemed to work themselves out in the middle of chapter 2 - and once the game started going smoothly, the appeal grew, it became a lot more 'tight' and rewarding to control the little skinless wonder.

Early on, when the game was a bit jittery, I found it didn't always respond to my input correctly, and on one occasion I walked through a flying buzzsaw (safely) - probably related to my ageing laptop I suppose. This was less frustrating than perhaps it should have been, because the deaths were coming thick and fast regardless.

Apparently doing a cursory amount of research, I can force -lowdetail by adding it to the command line (changing the resolution from 1024x768 down to 640x480 didn't really speed it up, for me). Also I can change the buttonmap.cfg to suit my preferred dash/jump combo, without damaging my hands / wrist to play the game.

Hopefully, when I can sort out the performance issue and tweak the controller, I should enjoy it a lot more.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2010, 08:08:49 am »

After a rough start (goddamn bugs) I really got into this game. I have 30 bandages, and have also unlocked Jill & Commander Video. I swear those two make getting most of the bandages so much easier. I'm up to hell currently, although I'm lagging a fair bit on the dark world maps.

It's freakishly hard sometimes, but goddamn it feels good when you pull off that 20s long sequence of perfect jumps and dodges with no margin for error.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2010, 10:32:55 am »

After a rough start (goddamn bugs) I really got into this game. I have 30 bandages, and have also unlocked Jill & Commander Video. I swear those two make getting most of the bandages so much easier. I'm up to hell currently, although I'm lagging a fair bit on the dark world maps.

It's freakishly hard sometimes, but goddamn it feels good when you pull off that 20s long sequence of perfect jumps and dodges with no margin for error.
If you think Jill & CommanderVideo are good for collecting bandages, you'll (Probably) love The Kid (If you go through the insane challenge to get him) and Naija.  They are amazingly useful in a lot of levels.  In my opinion anyways.  I personally didn't find CommanderVideo to be useful at all, he's just too slow and hard to control for that hover to justify using him.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2010, 12:13:28 pm »

Naija is completely uncontrollable, and I tend to prefer using the super fast meat boy anyway because I'm better at controlling him.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2010, 12:28:06 pm »

Naija is completely uncontrollable, and I tend to prefer using the super fast meat boy anyway because I'm better at controlling him.

Does Naija fly, like some might expect?

Or flap about like a fish out of water, gasping for the flow of oxygen-giving water through her gills, like others might expect?

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2010, 04:03:34 pm »

Or flap about like a fish out of water, gasping for the flow of oxygen-giving water through her gills, like others might expect?
She leaves a blue trail, and has the ability to form this bubble then fly out of the bubble at high speeds... I have not figured out a good way to control this.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2010, 07:23:58 pm »

Double jumps are god. Going through hell to get the kid is totally worth it.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Kitsunin

• Bay Watcher
  • Om Nom Nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2010, 07:28:28 pm »

She leaves a blue trail, and has the ability to form this bubble then fly out of the bubble at high speeds... I have not figured out a good way to control this.
Being able to control it isn't that necessary, there are some levels where its just REALLY useful for getting past a small section really really fast.  She sucks in levels where you have to wall jump, but if you have to dash or fly over a segment, or get into and out of an area really fast, she excels.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2010, 09:46:09 pm »

Those are exactly the sort of levels I use Cmdr. Video for. For those levels that have lots of long, low jumps, he makes life a hell of a lot more bearable. That said, the kid would be awesome too.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2011, 12:06:12 am »

Sorry for necro.

The Super meat world update was finally released with 140(!) new levels, and the level editor should follow eventually. Just FYI for those interested. :)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2011, 12:27:59 am »

Holy crap. And I have nearly beaten all the original levels too. YAY! More levels to challenge my skills with. I may need to invest in a new keyboard eventually. I'm running out of keys to remap.

I did a bit of lurking as well and learned that the far left world is actually a user-submitted level area, named Teh Internetz or something like that, with a green world and background and the world has a trollface of sorts too. I'm sure we'll have that unlocked next update with the level editor. BTW, I was wondering what was up with that surprise update I got hit with for the game.

EDIT:
Seems it's Super Meat World in the PC version. 'Teh Internetz' one must've been a mod I guess. Nice to see far left unlocked and to play more difficult/nifty levels. Super Potato Boy, it took me moment to realize each level was inside a potato as well.

No need for the Couch Potato Pack. I already got most-all of them during the holiday sales.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 11:57:29 am by Itnetlolor »

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2011, 02:26:26 am »

Super Meat Boy and many other indie games are on sale on Steam right now for half-price, or you can get all 13 games for quarter-price. I got Super Meat Boy because I'm in the mood for freaky hard platforming, and Amnesia: The Dark Descent because scary games are fun.
000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death
Pages: 1 2 [3]