Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 715545 times)

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #1980 on: February 15, 2012, 07:35:05 pm »

He made all his wealth in the financial industry, largely doing things that the vast majority of Americans don't understand and don't really bring any benefit to the economy while serving to make those who work in it obscenely wealthy at the expense of others.
It would be different if he made his wealth in anything besides the financial industry, and the complaints about him (from the republican side) would have much less to stand on, and probably wouldn't have been brought up at all.

But this is what nearly all of capitalism is........ 8% of american economy is manufacturing?
Seriously i'm at a loss. America is the most capitalist and free market country in the world, yet they castigate a candidate for partaking in that.
BUT THATS WHAT THE WHOLE NATION IS ABOUT! from the beginning! especially the republican party!
It's crazy.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 07:37:48 pm by Deadmeat1471 »

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: February 15, 2012, 07:37:36 pm »

This whole nation was about taxation without representation from the beginning.  Capitalism came later and many of the founding fathers (such as Jefferson) were veeeeery leery of it.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: February 15, 2012, 07:39:37 pm »

This whole nation was about taxation without representation from the beginning.  Capitalism came later and many of the founding fathers (such as Jefferson) were veeeeery leery of it.

Agreed it was a bit of a blanket statement. But come on! seriously? you create a system of capitalism and free market, you tell people if you work hard you can be rich, you guide social policies to promote economic growth above nearly all other issues.
Then you criticise a candidate for succeeding in exactly the way this system wants!!!!

and! these are only the right wing voters!!!!!! it absolutely boggles my mind.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: February 15, 2012, 07:41:50 pm »

The theory was that capitalism would lead to a good allocation of resources, not a bunch of bloodsucking hedge funds.  They are angry at Romney for not being the kind of capitalist they expected.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: February 15, 2012, 07:43:15 pm »

But this is what nearly all of capitalism is........ 8% of american economy is manufacturing?
Seriously i'm at a loss. America is the most capitalist and free market country in the world, yet they castigate a candidate for partaking in that.
BUT THATS WHAT THE WHOLE NATION IS ABOUT! from the beginning! especially the republican party!
It's crazy.

Like I was saying around the Georgia primary, yes it is pretty crazy.  In any other year, Romney's business history would make him the Republican wunderkind.  "Economic populism" has come roaring back into American politics though, even with a good portion of conservative Republican loyalists, and the general public makes a very hard distinction between different kinds of "capitalism".  Manufacturing is only 8% yes; most people think it's higher than that and should be higher still, and don't want to hear that it's not.

What Romney did was go to companies in financial straights, buy them out, alter them in some way (frequently by firing a lot of people), then selling the company back off while paying himself millions, with something like a 20% rate of them subsequently going bankrupt regardless.  That kind of "capitalism", while perfectly legitimate, doesn't sit well with your typical American voter at this time of all times.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1985 on: February 15, 2012, 07:47:54 pm »

Romney was successful at murdering corporations and feasting upon their corpses. Metaphorically speaking.

In reality, he also made some of that money from what is arguably fraud. Buying a company, taking out a loan to pay himself 350 million dollars (or close to it) and then filing for bankruptcy on the loans he took out to pay himself but suffering no liability because of legal loopholes.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: February 15, 2012, 07:50:28 pm »

Romney was successful at murdering corporations and feasting upon their corpses. Metaphorically speaking.

In reality, he also made some of that money from what is arguably fraud. Buying a company, taking out a loan to pay himself 350 million dollars (or close to it) and then filing for bankruptcy on the loans he took out to pay himself but suffering no liability because of legal loopholes.

I say this with much left wing baggage attached;
Sounds like a true Capitalist to me  :P

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: February 15, 2012, 07:52:41 pm »

Buying a company, taking out a loan to pay himself 350 million dollars (or close to it) and then filing for bankruptcy on the loans he took out to pay himself but suffering no liability because of legal loopholes.

And the best part is, the collateral posted for that loan? The company he bought out. The insane part is that, in the average person's world, this is fraud. In the corporate world, it's a business plan.

Using someone else's money is a cornerstone of global business economics. So while technically it's fraud, it's actually how business has been getting done for a very long time. It's actually very rare for people to put up much of their own money to support a business. Can't get rich that way!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 07:54:22 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: February 15, 2012, 07:54:45 pm »

Buying a company, taking out a loan to pay himself 350 million dollars (or close to it) and then filing for bankruptcy on the loans he took out to pay himself but suffering no liability because of legal loopholes.

And the best part is, the collateral posted for that loan? The company he bought out.

Using someone else's money is a cornerstone of global business economics. So while technically it's fraud, it's actually how business has been getting done for a very long time. It's actually very rare for people to put up much of their own money to support a business. Can't get rich that way!

From what little I understand of the business world, I am getting this impression too. I think companys and individuals can and will do whatever they can to milk money out of the system, and I think the government looks the otherway because it often leads to GDP growth, and such greed is the fundimental engine of capitalism.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: February 15, 2012, 10:07:08 pm »

Then why don't we allow convicted felons to run for political office, or even vote?
Felons can vote, depending on the state.

I liked The Colbert Super PAC's attack ad on the topic of Bain Capital.

Oh gods, what?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:12:19 pm by Barbarossa TSG »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: February 15, 2012, 10:12:46 pm »

And the best part is, the collateral posted for that loan? The company he bought out.

From what little I understand of the business world, I am getting this impression too. I think companys and individuals can and will do whatever they can to milk money out of the system, and I think the government looks the otherway because it often leads to GDP growth, and such greed is the fundimental engine of capitalism.

This doesn't add to GDP.  It's econ 101 that capitalism doesn't work without capital goods, operating capital, etc.  This is why it's called capital-ism not monocle-top-hat-ism.  When a big company gets taken over and shrunk to return to profitability, the result is a decrease in GDP.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: February 15, 2012, 10:15:27 pm »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: February 15, 2012, 10:18:36 pm »

That he uttered something so stupid in my own state (possibly my own town? I wonder what local university they are talking about) doesn't surprise me.

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: February 15, 2012, 10:20:45 pm »

I just don't know what to say. I really don't.
What the fuck?! What...the fuck?! What..the..fu-u-*cries*

Oh god, just when I thought Santorum could not get any more out there, he does this. I don't think he actually wants the presidency after all :/
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: February 15, 2012, 10:24:39 pm »

I am honestly having trouble believing this, even from him.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 714