Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717042 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #3900 on: July 03, 2012, 08:04:08 am »

It's becoming increasingly clear that the governor's race in North Carolina is a sad joke.

One of the candidates has an "A" rating from the NRA, is against gay marriage, and is in favor of allowing hydraulic fracturing ("fracking"). The other one is a Republican.  :'(

Guess I'm voting Libertarian for the 2nd straight race.

You poor, sad bastards. May god or science have mercy on your souls.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: July 03, 2012, 08:46:43 am »

It's becoming increasingly clear that the governor's race in North Carolina is a sad joke.

One of the candidates has an "A" rating from the NRA, is against gay marriage, and is in favor of allowing hydraulic fracturing ("fracking"). The other one is a Republican.  :'(

You poor, sad bastards. May god or science have mercy on your souls.
There is no mercy in Science... its either confusion or fact.... and if you go by the Old Testament Christian God or Armok, they are not known for their mercy.  Well, there are many benevolent God(s) out there, if you look.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: July 03, 2012, 08:49:10 am »

Well, there are many benevolent God(s) out there, if you look.
Praise, uh... Shiva?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: July 03, 2012, 08:56:01 am »

Praise, uh... Shiva?
Shiva the Destroyer?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: July 03, 2012, 08:58:39 am »

That title sounds very benevolent.
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: July 03, 2012, 09:00:06 am »

Praise, uh... Shiva?
Shiva the Destroyer?
He's more the guy who wraps things up at the end, really.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: July 03, 2012, 09:31:10 am »

Well, destruction brings a very rough road, but it also breeds creation...

Plus Shiva has a few titles! Creator, preserver, destroyer, concealer, revealer... Some of those are much nicer sounding. :P
Ultimately, "The Transformer" is Shiva's best title though. (It is because Shiva is more than meets the eye)

Overall a pretty chill god though, definitely benevolent.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: July 03, 2012, 10:27:10 am »

Praise, uh... Shiva?
Shiva the Destroyer?
Sounds like a nice guy, then.

Moar election: I saw my first wave of political ads on YouTube a couple days ago. And when I say wave, I mean it. I watched 20+ videos and they all had the same ad called 'unpatriotic' which was about misquoting Obama and saying that we need to lower the national debt. (By voting for Romney, though it doesn't say that.) It linked to an organization 'not affiliated with any candidate', which of course means it was a branch of the GOP SuperPAC.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: July 03, 2012, 10:56:58 am »

Shiva the Destroyer?

The same way complete nuclear war "wraps things up", and just so he can start a clean slate too.

...Shiva is basically the Enclave from Fallout.
Love, scriver~

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: July 03, 2012, 11:30:55 am »

Oh, and late last night our legislature overrode three straight gubernatorial vetos, further underscoring how useless the position has become since the GOP hijacked the reins of state government. One of the overrides (nullifying a veto on fracking) appears to have passed by 1 vote...a Democrat who accidentally pressed the wrong button and immediately recognized her mistake. The Speaker of the House then immediately used a procedural trick to make it impossible to ask for a do-over or a re-vote. And so continues our relentless death march towards becoming Northern South Carolina. At this rate, I should be getting my "Truck Up On Cinderblocks In My Front Yard" subsidy soon.

Will there be a court case about the misvote?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: July 03, 2012, 01:44:33 pm »

Oh, and late last night our legislature overrode three straight gubernatorial vetos, further underscoring how useless the position has become since the GOP hijacked the reins of state government. One of the overrides (nullifying a veto on fracking) appears to have passed by 1 vote...a Democrat who accidentally pressed the wrong button and immediately recognized her mistake. The Speaker of the House then immediately used a procedural trick to make it impossible to ask for a do-over or a re-vote. And so continues our relentless death march towards becoming Northern South Carolina. At this rate, I should be getting my "Truck Up On Cinderblocks In My Front Yard" subsidy soon.

Will there be a court case about the misvote?
No idea, it just happened last night. My guess would be no.

Quote from: From a relevant news article.
Under House rules, members can change their vote if they've made a mistake - unless the change would affect the bill's passage.

As soon as the vote was cast, House Minority Leader Paul Stam used a procedural move called a "clincher" to ensure the veto override could not be reconsidered.
Wouldn't be surprised to see the guilty party ousted in the next primary. Mistake or not, people are going to be pissed that their elected official can't push the right fucking color-coded button.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: July 03, 2012, 01:49:41 pm »

That is literally the worst procedural rule I have ever heard of.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #3912 on: July 04, 2012, 12:24:33 pm »

I risked giving a quick peek at this thread (after a long absence in b12) expecting lame battles full of partisanship only to find interesting information and calm arguments.

(+) Will read again. 

It also makes me reflect on the pros and cons of comment systems where people (silent majorities/moderators?) influence the order and practical visibility.

I guess small numbers (controllable), accountability and reputation concern might be an important factor for the success of a debate.
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: July 04, 2012, 12:37:55 pm »

Attitude is number 1, I think. Any online debate will devolve into nonsense if the people participate are in it to "win" and not for discussion for discussion's sake. We're pretty good about attitudes here, I think.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: July 04, 2012, 07:55:42 pm »

Michigan Republican governor vetoes broader voter ID law

(Reuters) - Michigan Governor Rick Snyder on Tuesday vetoed a measure to broaden Michigan's photo identification law for voting, the first Republican governor to veto such a plan during a national wave of ID laws enacted by states in the last two years.

Michigan has an existing voter ID law that is somewhat flexible, permitting a voter to sign an affidavit and vote a regular ballot if they do not have photographic identification with them.

Snyder vetoed a proposal from the Republican-led legislature requiring a photo ID for absentee voting.

Snyder also vetoed proposals that would require voters to affirm their U.S. citizenship before receiving ballots and to require voter registration groups to undergo training by the secretary of state or local clerks.

Duuvian's thoughts: Snyder has really surprised me. He has not only been competent (see Canada and the Feds paying for most of a new Detroit bridge) but he is willing to veto things from his own party at some if not great political risk to himself. In addition his city manager program is at worst quietly bad as I haven't heard much that worried me enough that I felt I would have to get involved and more informed, which I admittedly am not on that issue. If more interested parties have done research on that I wouldn't mind hearing about it. Finally Gov. Snyder did some things to streamline the process of gaining a Michigan Medical Marihuana card. Basically the organization in charge of issueing cards had too few employees to handle all the applications and there was a backlog of 6months to a year to receive your (yearly renewed) card. Gov. Snyder stepped in and changed who handled applications which sped up the process greatly.

I think I may vote for (Republican) Governor Snyder barring learning negative things about his governorship; as well as voting for Obama and other Democrats nationally. Not sure what party I'd vote for the state legislatures, but if they send the Governor such stinker bills I don't think I'll vote Republican.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 09:06:41 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 714