Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 715509 times)

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #4890 on: August 20, 2012, 02:11:28 pm »

In other why-did-you-say-that-out-loud news;
    Why do Ohio Republicans suddenly feel so strongly about limiting early voting hours in Democratic counties? Franklin County (Columbus) GOP Chair Doug Preisse gave a surprisingly blunt answer to the Columbus Dispatch on Sunday: “I guess I really actually feel we shouldn’t contort the voting process to accommodate the urban—read African-American—voter-turnout machine.” Preisse is not some rogue operative but the chairman of the Republican Party in Ohio’s second-largest county and a close adviser to Ohio Governor John Kasich.

The original article with the quote.

As to Akin's abortion bullshit, sadly this is a reasonably common meme that has been promoted by a range of anti-abortion groups for years now. Planned Parenthood have had to address it in a Q&A while fucking doctors have been spreading it.

On the other hand it does look like making abortion an even more serious issue in this election, especially given that Paul Ryan can be tagged with similar views.

Mr. Ryan, a seven-term congressman from Wisconsin, has opposed abortion in the case of rape. During his first run for the seat in 1998, The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reported that he opposed abortions in all cases except to save the life of the mother.

More recently, Mr. Ryan was a co-sponsor of a House bill last year defining human life as beginning with fertilization and granting “personhood’’ rights to embryos, a movement that supporters say will outlaw abortions in all cases, and may also restrict some forms of birth control.

Making noise about this could split anti-abortion types. While Romney's position (exceptions for rape or incest) tends to be popular, the absolutist Ryan/Akin view tends to be held by lots of people who make abortion their sole reason for voting. Romney is already weak with that crowd and having to get some clear distance from Ryan's position could reduce the VP pick's effectiveness at shoring up base support.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4891 on: August 20, 2012, 03:41:44 pm »

At least not this week.

At least when someone in the public asks him about it directly.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4892 on: August 20, 2012, 03:44:29 pm »

I really doubt most absolutists would fall into line with that sort of comment. It's one thing to be against abortion, but something else entirely to blame a victim.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #4893 on: August 20, 2012, 03:45:16 pm »

Ain't the first time a Republican has made comments to the effect of "if she got pregnant, she must have wanted it at some level"

Kinda scary that this isn't a new sentiment.  I guess it's like climate change or evolution.  If those pesky facts make you feel bad you go invent new ones.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4894 on: August 20, 2012, 03:47:00 pm »

Ain't the first time a Republican has made comments to the effect of "if she got pregnant, she must have wanted it at some level"

Kinda scary that this isn't a new sentiment.  I guess it's like climate change or evolution.  If those pesky facts make you feel bad you go invent new ones.

Facts are unreliable!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4895 on: August 20, 2012, 03:51:54 pm »

I really doubt most absolutists would fall into line with that sort of comment. It's one thing to be against abortion, but something else entirely to blame a victim.
Blaming victims is something that goes on all the damn time.
"Fucking lazy welfare bums"
"Fucking fatass disability leeches"
"Fucking ghetto crack-whore babymommas"

It's all about finding a convenient fiction to remedy the cognitive dissonance that comes of having your worldview run into those irksome gray areas where what you hold to be a universal truth might wind up making you out to be an asshole. It's the same reason that soldiers in ANY conflict will dehumanize the enemy.

So yeah...I don't have trouble seeing anti-abortion absolutists telling themselves that if that girl got pregnant from being raped, she must be at least partially at fault, cause then they're not monstrous assholes for insisting she carry the baby to term.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4896 on: August 20, 2012, 03:53:13 pm »

Like it or not, this has been a credo of Conservative Republicans for the last 25 years. The specific rendering of the belief may change politician to politician, but the sentiment remains.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 03:55:15 pm by nenjin »
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4897 on: August 20, 2012, 03:55:34 pm »

Like it or not, this has been a credo of Conservative Republicans for the last 25 years.

Yeah I agree with RedKing. Its almost like they don't know any other way of doing it...

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4898 on: August 20, 2012, 03:58:17 pm »

Blaming victims is something that goes on all the damn time.
"Fucking lazy welfare bums"
"Fucking fatass disability leeches"
"Fucking ghetto crack-whore babymommas"

It's all about finding a convenient fiction to remedy the cognitive dissonance that comes of having your worldview run into those irksome gray areas where what you hold to be a universal truth might wind up making you out to be an asshole. It's the same reason that soldiers in ANY conflict will dehumanize the enemy.

So yeah...I don't have trouble seeing anti-abortion absolutists telling themselves that if that girl got pregnant from being raped, she must be at least partially at fault, cause then they're not monstrous assholes for insisting she carry the baby to term.
Might be a regional thing. Most Democrats I know are very nearly absolutist anti-abortion (and if you must have one, it's the deep secret everybody pretends not to notice), but there's zero tolerance for rapists around here. The relative handful of Republicans in this corner of the state can't afford to be too extreme, either.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4899 on: August 20, 2012, 04:04:05 pm »

I think it's most entangled in other Republican beliefs about sex, contraception ect..... I'm sure many Republicans would like to come out in favor of rape victims having some sort of exceptions, but the platform won't tolerate anything that smacks of compromise on abortion, family values, yadda yadda. So even well-meaning Republicans end up taking the stance that "gettin' raped is yer fault. Better marry the guy."

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4900 on: August 20, 2012, 04:06:04 pm »

I think it's most entangled in other Republican beliefs about sex, contraception ect..... I'm sure many Republicans would like to come out in favor of rape victims having some sort of exceptions, but the platform won't tolerate anything that smacks of compromise on abortion, family values, yadda yadda. So even well-meaning Republicans end up taking the stance that "gettin' raped is yer fault. Better marry the guy."

It also disturbs me greatly that so little variation on issues is permitted in their party.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #4901 on: August 20, 2012, 04:21:06 pm »

Don't kid yourself. At a national level. democrats are almost as lockstepped into abortion-on-a-whim, even those who would prefer restricting abortion to situations where "no" wasn't an answer.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4902 on: August 20, 2012, 04:27:08 pm »

Don't kid yourself. At a national level. democrats are almost as lockstepped into abortion-on-a-whim, even those who would prefer restricting abortion to situations where "no" wasn't an answer.

It's true. Neither party is free of ideological purity. That said, I think it's possible for a democrat to support limited abortion (as opposed to unrestricted abortion) without getting tarred and feathered by the heaviest hitters in the party. I don't think the same is true for Republicans. Republicans have always been more unified than Dems when it comes to party ideology.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #4903 on: August 20, 2012, 04:32:36 pm »

Most democrats prefer the idea  of "legal abortion on a whim" to "illegal crack house abortions on a whim". It is not only a women's rights concern but a very real public health concern. And most democrats also oppose late term abortions, so "on a whim" is putting it a bit too broadly.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4904 on: August 20, 2012, 04:36:52 pm »

"With few qualifications" might be more appropriate. Dems generally don't believe in the state's right to force women to qualify their desire for an abortion. Whereas Republicans, if they're willing to even tolerate them, want mandatory waiting periods (the irony of that in comparison to gun laws....heh), informational brochures shaming mothers into not having abortions, doctors counseling them not to do it, parental/guardian approval.....before they'll deign to let a woman decide for herself.
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 714