Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 346 347 [348] 349 350 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 715567 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #5205 on: September 04, 2012, 10:12:41 am »

Thanks for the info, guys, both about KKK, Mormons, and flagging. Didn't know much of any of it before.

...The thing about convenience flags does explain what I heard about how the Greek had such a big merchant fleet, though, and still didn't tax it anything - it only was that big because they didn't tax it. My dad has brought up that fleet every time he's ranted about Greece for the last months, gonna feel nice to explain that one to him.
Love, scriver~

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5206 on: September 04, 2012, 10:34:44 am »

Greece has had a large merchant navy since long before tax shelters were a thing.  It's not so much that greece doesn't tax the navy, it's that the overseas activities are taxed abroad and only the activity in greece is taxed in greece.  That's not unusual.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5207 on: September 04, 2012, 11:27:21 am »

Well, there is a class of armateur that's making a crapton of money and is not taxed. Greece got a shipping tradition, but they would go to panama in a heartbeat if Greece taxed them.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5208 on: September 04, 2012, 12:08:06 pm »

Greece does tax them.  You need to be more specific about what kind of tax you are talking about.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #5209 on: September 04, 2012, 02:25:30 pm »

I didn't know it was KKK, but "Keep [Nation] [Nation-y]" is like the number one slogan for extreme nationalists everywhere.
Yep.  The slogan is inherently xenophobic since it implies that your country is perfect and right and the problem is those foreign people corrupting it.  The fact that groups like the KKK and the BNP use similar slogans merely demonstrates that.
Made doubly amusing when you consider Team Romney had a donor party on a yacht registered in the Grand Caymans.

Maybe they need to amend the slogan to "Keep America America, oh and that really nice spot in the Caymans or maybe Zurich."

It's amusing... but honestly... EVERYONE, with the means do so, flags their ships in countries like that, no matter where they're from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_convenience It's just simply what you do if you have a ship of a certain size... nearly a quarter of all ship tonnage is registered in Panama. Over 50% of all ship tonnage is registered in the top 11 countries, and the only major country on that list is France. It's BS, it's to get around regulations and taxes and everyone knows it... but everyone still does it, so I can't really blame him for being on a foreign flagged boat... Odds are if you've been on one that's larger than 100 tons and it's not military, you've been on a foreign flagged boat.

Registered in Liberia: your assurance of quality on the high seas
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5210 on: September 04, 2012, 03:57:36 pm »

Yeah. I mean, it's a bit like assuming there couldn't possibly be anti-Israel Jews.

*cough*
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5211 on: September 04, 2012, 08:52:07 pm »

Republicans conspire to rig election... legally says the Republican prosecutor.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2012/07/prosecutor_roy_schmidt_tried_t.html#incart_river_default

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2012/08/more_roy_schmidt-jase_bolger_t.html

All copy and pastes in this post are from links provided or from links linked from those links and are credited to writer Nate Reens; if another writer is quoted it's my error and I'll re-attribute upon notification:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2012/07/could_attempted_election_riggi.html

From the link directly above:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2012/08/roy_schmidt_investigation_shor.html

From the directly above link:

UPDATE: Liberal group calls for independent investigator in Roy Schmidt election probe

« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 09:22:56 pm by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5212 on: September 04, 2012, 11:11:50 pm »

So some guy up for election jumped parties too late for his own party to come up with someone to fill his spot in the election, thus giving it away?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #5213 on: September 04, 2012, 11:27:04 pm »

Not only that, he appointed someone to run a shitty campaign in his place, while attempting and (I think) failing to pay him for it.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5214 on: September 05, 2012, 01:08:36 am »

............DAFUQ?!
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #5215 on: September 05, 2012, 01:11:35 am »

Ah, the new standard operating procedures have arrived in elections it seems. 
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5216 on: September 06, 2012, 07:57:40 am »

Democrats fall prey to the "Oh shit, GOP said we're godless atheist commies" trap, insert language into their official party platform supporting a unified Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and invoking 'God'.

Seriously? SRSLY??
A. WTF is a very narrow foreign policy statement doing as part of the platform? Especially a plank that *many* rank-and-file Democrats don't necessarily support?
B. As the Esquire article points out, "God" is mentioned zero times in the Constitution and once in the Declaration of Independence. The correct response to GOP naysaying of "ooooooh, they didn't say God in their platform! I'm telling the teacher!" would be to tell them to fuck off. This is one of the main reasons why I will never be a Democrat -- the party in general is all brain, no balls.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5217 on: September 06, 2012, 09:25:05 am »

I am shocked- shocked to hear that politicking is going on in party platforms.

Look this is Israel thing is a disappointment but it's hardly a big deal.  It wouldn't even rank in my top 100 disappointments with the democratic party regarding Israel.  The real world implications of this are approximately zero and there are far, far bigger fish to fry.

What seems likely to me is that some zionist democratic senator or representative suggested that and no one thought it would be a big deal because well, it's not.  Mr. zionist feels placated and the liberals have given away zero in real substance.  This is the sort of thing that happens fairly regularly to make that sausage and it will continue until the liberals are numerous enough for democrats to win without a big tent strategy or the democrats are no longer interested in winning elections.

Take issue with the real policy failings of the democrats, they make them all the time.  But nitpicks like this are so not important.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5218 on: September 06, 2012, 11:04:51 am »

I would hardly call this a nitpick... it is serious foreign policy and one issue that a lot of people(on both sides, mind you) feel we've been doing wrong for a long time.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #5219 on: September 06, 2012, 11:11:02 am »

Yes, I disagree with this line of the platform too.  But this isn't representative of our foreign policy nor is it a high profile stance.  This is such a small incident that the guy in charge was confused why anyone would even protest.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 11:13:10 am by mainiac »
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 ... 346 347 [348] 349 350 ... 714