Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 715542 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #7305 on: October 26, 2012, 01:08:15 pm »

http://www.enstarz.com/articles/8577/20121026/electoral-college-map-2012-obama-hits-271-votes-enough-win-election.htm

According to these dudes, Obama has it in the bag with 271 electoral votes, 76 tossups and 191 for Romney.

http://freedomslighthouse.net/2012-presidential-election-electoral-vote-map/

According to these dudes, Romney has it in the bag with 279 electoral votes to Obama 259.

http://electoral-vote.com/
these dudes favor obama even more, though several of the states are sufficiently low for obama that they could swing the other way.

http://www.electionprojection.com/2012elections/president12.php
And these dudes are even more predicting obama victory.... gotta go to lunch now, cant finish this comment.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7306 on: October 26, 2012, 01:09:48 pm »

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/.

I like to use 538 myself.  Obama 294 to Romney 244 currently.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7307 on: October 26, 2012, 01:10:14 pm »

I heard an Australian reporter on TV talking about the ~1969 independence vote of West Papua from Indonesia. The US and UK wanted it to stay as part of Indonesia, this was back when Indonesia had the murderous dictator Suharto.

The reporter said he was there at a polling place, and there was a British election observer inside the polling place. Outside people were trying to get in to vote, but the Indonesian army was threatening them at gunpoint, beating people, herding those who protested into trucks and disappearing them somewhere. There were hand-picking people who were allowed to vote in the referendum, but these people were scared witless what would happen if they didn't "vote right".

The reporter went into the polling place, and told the "observer" what was happening outside. The observer calmly said "my job is to observe what happens in here, not out there!".

I can believe that.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7308 on: October 26, 2012, 02:10:03 pm »

I'm seriously hoping that our Nov. 6th die roll goes to Obama... it's all prayer [or hope, for a non-religious perspective] at this point. I'd like to know what the best universities in Canada are, just in case...
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7309 on: October 26, 2012, 02:17:31 pm »

I'm seriously hoping that our Nov. 6th die roll goes to Obama... it's all prayer [or hope, for a non-religious perspective] at this point. I'd like to know what the best universities in Canada are, just in case...

Eh, I don't like or trust Romney, but I doubt he'd ruin the country or anything. I do expect that he'd avoid doing anything that actually cost rich people money. Other than that, it's hard to say what he'd really do. He changes his position on everything too often to get a sense of what he'd do if he was actually president.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7310 on: October 26, 2012, 02:25:53 pm »

I'm not worried about Romney for Romney's sake, it's that he'll roll over and let his party implement all sorts of crazy stuff. There will be big pressure on him to fill the Supreme Court with radical conservatives so they can overturn Roe-vs-Wade and ban abortions, and stuff like that.

Will he stand up to the more radical impulses of his own party?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7311 on: October 26, 2012, 02:34:44 pm »

Romney preaches to the crowd he addresses, no matter if it contradicts what he has said before. 

It is going to be a question of who is he going to need to preach to for another 4 years in office.  If you can answer that, you will know what direction he will try to take the country in. 
I am of the belief that he can practically ignore the masses for the first 3 years... and follow the agenda of securing big money for the next cycle, since America "Heck Yea!" has the attention span of young children.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7312 on: October 26, 2012, 03:05:13 pm »

I'm not worried about Romney for Romney's sake, it's that he'll roll over and let his party implement all sorts of crazy stuff. There will be big pressure on him to fill the Supreme Court with radical conservatives so they can overturn Roe-vs-Wade and ban abortions, and stuff like that.

That's what I meant. Personally Romney would probably play more moderate to keep his public appeal up, but the far-right wing of the Republican party could use him like a puppet to shove through all their stone-age morals and trickle-down economics.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7313 on: October 26, 2012, 03:08:47 pm »

http://freedomslighthouse.net/2012-presidential-election-electoral-vote-map/

According to these dudes, Romney has it in the bag with 279 electoral votes to Obama 259.

That site has Ohio as a Romney state even though their polling averages show Obama ahead.  I'm guessing they rationalize using the "undecideds always break towards the challenger" myth.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7314 on: October 26, 2012, 03:16:11 pm »

Why does everybody always act like overturning Roe V. Wade is the most radical aspect of the far-right's agenda?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7315 on: October 26, 2012, 03:23:22 pm »

It's a controversial banner issue, and the original decision is, legally speaking, extremely flimsy , so it's not hard to find reasoning to overturn it. Thus, it is the most public of judicial issues.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7316 on: October 26, 2012, 03:26:43 pm »

Plus the 5000 deaths a year from illegal abortions the United States used to have, and the population was about half of the present level. So it's definitely an issue that can kill people.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7317 on: October 26, 2012, 03:28:09 pm »

Why does everybody always act like overturning Roe V. Wade is the most radical aspect of the far-right's agenda?
Stop.  I have already seen the future this post leads us to, and I cannot allow it to happen again.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7318 on: October 26, 2012, 03:31:53 pm »

Stop.
Hammertime!

But yeah we just averted an abortion clusterfuck recently. That way the dark side lies.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7319 on: October 26, 2012, 04:16:55 pm »

Abortion threads kill.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 486 487 [488] 489 490 ... 714