Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 512 513 [514] 515 516 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717354 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: American Election Megathread
« Reply #7695 on: November 01, 2012, 09:53:39 pm »

Note: The only reason the Ryan plan is falsely said to balance the budget is that it assumes that a future congress and president will commit to an even deeper but unspecified round of cuts at some point in the future.

It also presupposes that "tax cuts = economic growth" is so intrinsic that enacting Ryan's budget will lead to thirty years of uninterrupted 4% annual economic growth, a feat unattained by any nation in the history of the world.  Which is exactly why the list of people who insist Ryan's awesome budget will solve everyone's problems does not include the Congressional Budget Office.

Haha. You don't believe that tax cuts result in economic growth? You know nothing, Aquizzar. I could write up several pages enlightening you on economics, but it would be a waste of my time.

In other words, you know perfectly well that you can't find a damn thing to back up your assertions that isn't Breitbart Media, so you're not going to try.  I didn't even say tax cuts can't stimulate economic growth, although if actually read any posts in this thread you're posting in you'd see quite a few real economists explaining why the idea is bologna.

I'd love to see this enlightenment.  I know perfectly well that I'm not going to.

No need to quote other people. Trying using your own brain.

If we each get a $100 tax cut, we buy things. I'm not saying everyone will spend all of their $100, but much of it will be spent. The businesses whose products we buy will have more income, so they will pay more in taxes. Not all of them will pay more in taxes because some will not make enough to pay taxes, but much of that money will come back to the government in the form of increased corporate and personal income taxes (some file as individuals). Whether they pay more in taxes or not, they will have more money to hire people, to give pay raises, and to buy more stuff from other businesses. Those other businesses will pay more in taxes and have more money to hire people, give pay raises, and buy stuff from other businesses. It really isn't that complicated. You just need to try to think things through yourself. Haha, not likely.

That isn't how tax cuts work. That $100 per person? The government was going to spend that anyway, and it would be reinvested directly into the economy and provide jobs directly. And in reality that $100 average tax cut is actually a grand for the top 1%, $30 bucks for most people and nothing for the lowest. And that money that goes to the rich person is much more likely to be "saved" by gambling it on the secondary stock market rather than spent to produce more economic activity. You would produce more economic activity by giving $100 in food stamps to everyone because everyone needs to buy food.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7696 on: November 01, 2012, 09:54:21 pm »

I just like having people who will kind-of engage over disagreements instead just ignoring me. :(

Anywho, I'm still undecided between Stein, Johnston, and that other guy I heard was good, and I'm tired of caring about presidents. Someone tell me which one to pick and I'll go with that.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7697 on: November 01, 2012, 09:55:56 pm »

I'm going Stein, GlyphGryph, but if you're in a swing state I suggest Obama. Lesser of two evils and all that. Voting third party is great though for a state that's pretty much already locked in, if only to give them a tiny bit more attention.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7698 on: November 01, 2012, 09:56:51 pm »

Stein. Go with Stein.

We need a Stein that's crazy in the good way, after the whole... Ben Stein thing. >_>
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7699 on: November 01, 2012, 09:58:21 pm »

I just like having people who will kind-of engage over disagreements instead just ignoring me. :(

Anywho, I'm still undecided between Stein, Johnston, and that other guy I heard was good, and I'm tired of caring about presidents. Someone tell me which one to pick and I'll go with that.

Jill might need bail in order to attend her acceptance speech in the fantastically unlikely event that she wins.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #7700 on: November 01, 2012, 09:59:44 pm »

Romney did endorse civil unions back in the 90's, but these days he has someone holding his leash.

He's endorsed everything over the course of his life. I hate to mimic the media, but it really is true that he's changed his views drastically from public appearance to public appearance. I know that tends to be the norm during presidential elections, and perhaps my observations are skewed by the fact that this is the first election that I can vote in and thus I have paid more attention to it, but it honestly seems that his "flip-flopping" is far worse than that of past candidates.

Also, is Ben Stein for giving more tax rebates? If so I'd vote for him purely so I could "win Ben Stein's money." Jokes aside, his name also associates with a fairly dorfy drinking apparatus. He's already head and shoulders above Romney and Obama.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7701 on: November 01, 2012, 10:00:00 pm »

Jill Stein wouldn't be the first person elected from jail (though the first in the USA).
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7702 on: November 01, 2012, 10:01:18 pm »

Well, you did ask. Pick Gary Johnson. My views are actually closer to his than to Romney's or Obama's. Not that I expect my advice to influence your vote.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7703 on: November 01, 2012, 10:01:31 pm »

The whole Ben Stein thing is... well, Ben Stein. What with him publishing that "Expelled" movie and just going downhill from there.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7704 on: November 01, 2012, 10:01:49 pm »

He's already head and shoulders above Romney and Obama.

No he's not, he just hasn't received the glare of public attention that would expose his every flaw, real or imagined.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7705 on: November 01, 2012, 10:02:35 pm »

Jill Stein wouldn't be the first person elected from jail (though the first in the USA).
Close enough?  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7706 on: November 01, 2012, 10:02:55 pm »

Romney did endorse civil unions back in the 90's, but these days he has someone holding his leash.

He's endorsed everything over the course of his life. I hate to mimic the media, but it really is true that he's changed his views drastically from public appearance to public appearance. I know that tends to be the norm during presidential elections, and perhaps my observations are skewed by the fact that this is the first election that I can vote in and thus I have paid more attention to it, but it honestly seems that his "flip-flopping" is far worse than that of past candidates.

Also, is Ben Stein for giving more tax rebates? If so I'd vote for him purely so I could "win Ben Stein's money." Jokes aside, his name also associates with a fairly dorfy drinking apparatus. He's already head and shoulders above Romney and Obama.
Ugh, no, Ben Stein is a smarmy douchebag who acts like a know-it-all but just toes the fundie/batshit crazy line.

You can always vote for the Toady One.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 10:11:57 pm by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7707 on: November 01, 2012, 10:04:18 pm »

Fuck, sorry about the doublepost, all.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 10:11:51 pm by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #7708 on: November 01, 2012, 10:05:16 pm »

He's already head and shoulders above Romney and Obama.

No he's not, he just hasn't received the glare of public attention that would expose his every flaw, real or imagined.

To clarify that was not a serious statement. My sole criteria for the decision were jokes involving his television career and the similarity of his name to something dwarven. I still believe firmly that it is possible for him to be better than them. Not probable of course, but the current system for selecting the president seems to select based on criteria that may not be the most important. Like financial wealth and connections rather than intellect and experience.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7709 on: November 01, 2012, 10:06:46 pm »

I would vote for Vermin Supreme, just because you know he isn't in anyone's pocket.

Pages: 1 ... 512 513 [514] 515 516 ... 714