Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 693 694 [695] 696 697 ... 714

Author Topic: American Election Megathread - It's Over  (Read 717353 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: American Election Megathread - It's Over
« Reply #10410 on: December 16, 2012, 01:47:13 am »

I remember some people here predicting that Obama might win the EC but lose the popular vote. Of course that didn't happen, and in fact, that scenario is extremely unlikely. The EC system is biased against the more highly-populated states, which are where Democrats do best. If the Democrat wins the EC, it's almost assured that he got the popular vote, too.

Well that works to the democratic advantage but on the other side is that Republicans rack up crazy margins in a lot of states where democrats might as well not be on the ballot.  The huge regional block of votes in the south doesn't have a liberal counterpart elsewhere.  Republicans might not have a prayer at winning California but they do rack up a lot of votes there.  If you uniformly decreased Obama's relative standing in every state by 5.5% so that he lost the popular vote by 1.8% he would have still just squeeked by in Iowa and Colorado and won the Electoral College.

It isn't impossible by any means, though. Nate Silver gave it a 1.3% chance of happening, as I recall.

That's near the high water mark of that number, it jumped around as the race polling changed.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #10411 on: December 16, 2012, 02:52:22 pm »

I heard on the radio in October that, if we had an EC tie, then we might end up with a Romney-Biden administration. The way it would work was, the right-leaning House picks the Prez, and the left-leaning Senate picks the Vice. And if, on the off-chance that the Senate tied the vote for the VP, do you know who would cast the deciding vote? Joseph Biden.

Personally, I think that a Romney-Biden administration would be extremely amusing.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10412 on: December 16, 2012, 08:02:37 pm »

I heard on the radio in October that, if we had an EC tie, then we might end up with a Romney-Biden administration. The way it would work was, the right-leaning House picks the Prez, and the left-leaning Senate picks the Vice. And if, on the off-chance that the Senate tied the vote for the VP, do you know who would cast the deciding vote? Joseph Biden.

Personally, I think that a Romney-Biden administration would be extremely amusing.

Two idiots sounding off. Sounds very productive indeed.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #10413 on: December 16, 2012, 08:30:50 pm »

1: The VP has almost no official power, so all a Romney-Biden presidency would do is reduce the opportunity to use the VP for goodwill tours and public appearances.

2: Bidden is hardly an idiot, he just tends to ramble on at far greater length than people tend to pay attention.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10414 on: December 16, 2012, 08:34:26 pm »

I don't think many people honestly think Biden is stupid, even if that is the wording they use. He's just really.......Bideny.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10415 on: December 16, 2012, 09:03:56 pm »

1: The VP has almost no official power, so all a Romney-Biden presidency would do is reduce the opportunity to use the VP for goodwill tours and public appearances.

2: Bidden is hardly an idiot, he just tends to ramble on at far greater length than people tend to pay attention.

He suffers from pretty bad foot-in-mouth. Not "legitimate rape" or "47 percent" bad, but still pretty muddled.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10416 on: December 16, 2012, 09:07:19 pm »

We actually had the conversation in my circle of a Romney-Biden administration. Biden would be the best troll ever.

First thing I thought of was how he could simply whip his junk out during congressional sessions. Or state of the union addresses. Much fun would be had.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10417 on: December 16, 2012, 09:16:17 pm »

Really, there's nothing they could do to stop Biden, since he would have no power (besides Senate tiebreaking) and no reason to make the President look good. He could also use his Secret Service detail to obstruct random less important politicians he dislikes.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10418 on: December 16, 2012, 10:09:49 pm »

Bideny is best adjective.

Even the avatars expire eventually.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10419 on: December 16, 2012, 10:22:24 pm »

Really, there's nothing they could do to stop Biden, since he would have no power (besides Senate tiebreaking) and no reason to make the President look good. He could also use his Secret Service detail to obstruct random less important politicians he dislikes.
Biden is SUPER-TROLL, The politician EVERYONE LOVES!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10420 on: December 23, 2012, 02:01:54 am »

So it seems Mark Sanford is trying to get back into politics. He's the one from SC who 'hiked the Appalachian Trail' all the way to an Argentinian mistress. Or as MSNBC puts it:
"And happy trails to you: Mark Sanford appears to be mounting a political comeback."
Two double entendres in a single quote; GG.

And in other news, likely seen by any keeping an eye of American politics, Boehner (Republican, House majority leader) managed to screw things up incredibly badly. To the point where his counter-proposal to Obama couldn't even get passed his own party in the House, whom he is supposed to be leading. I mean, damn. He now has 0 credibility, 0 bargaining leverage, and has simultaneously shown just how obstructionist his party has become.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 02:06:59 am by alway »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10421 on: December 23, 2012, 02:07:18 am »

Maybe they'll make a sitcom.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10422 on: December 23, 2012, 02:35:18 am »

Ahh yes. Boehner is burning. Democrats in the House are now vital to any effort to pass anything, and the clock ticks, the public prepared to blame the repubs. It looks BAD for Boehner.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #10423 on: December 23, 2012, 09:53:27 am »

Ahh yes. Boehner is burning. Democrats in the House are now vital to any effort to pass anything, and the clock ticks, the public prepared to blame the repubs. It looks BAD for Boehner.

He pissed off the arch-conservatives so they're trying to get him tossed out of the speakership. It looks like it might actually happen, too.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Mego

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:MADNESS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10424 on: December 23, 2012, 09:54:43 am »

I keep reading Boehner as "boner". I kind of want him in high office, just to see how many newscasters and foreign leaders trip up on his name.
Pages: 1 ... 693 694 [695] 696 697 ... 714