Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven water reactor troubles  (Read 1286 times)

jonanlsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven water reactor troubles
« on: September 20, 2013, 12:22:27 pm »

Refer to http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-31036

I constructed a dwarvern water reactor, well, 3 dwavern water reactors, each with 12 water wheels. It generates an average of 1600 power. In absolutely ideal conditions, it should generate 3240 units of power at maximum. How can I improve the efficiency of a non-aquifer water reactor, and is there a more efficient design that I should be using for a water reactor should I build another one?

EDIT: My apologies, the reactor is on map level 92 down to 90.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 10:38:37 pm by jonanlsh »

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven water reactor troubles
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 12:50:34 pm »

having a hard time navigating the link and finding the dwarven water reactor, but I think I know the most effective dwarven water reactor. It is combined with a pump stack, and thus is a self-powering pump stack that generates power. Pull up water through a water wheel. Push it onto a layer right below another water hweel/pump combo. Switch back and forth as the levels go up, and when it gets to the top let the water fall back down the water wheel tower. It's less efficient on a small scale, but as it gets larger it is infinitely expandable and more and more power efficient and space efficient. You can fill it either from the bottom or the top, I prefer with an infinite water source ala river or underground side-connected lake.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 12:55:01 pm »

Given how slow the site with the map is, I haven't looked at your water reactor designs (perhaps it might be helpful to actually tell us what Z levels said reactors are on?). But in any case, you might want to look at this http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=99317.0 for a very effective reactor. In a nutshell, dig out the area where you want the water for the waterwheels. Dig a tunnel from there to the map edge where you smooth and carve the rock into a fortification. Put a flood gate there as well. Fill 'er up with water. Open the floodgate until some water drains off map, then close the floodgate and refill back to 7/7. What you've just done then is exploit the water flow mechanics in the game so that the water now in the dug out area is considered to have "flow". So then channel over the pool you've just made, install the waterwheels, and enjoy the power without having any actual water flow (and the associated FPS loss).

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 12:55:05 pm »

You should seriously consider investing resources in minecart quantum stockpiling, yo.

Hamiltonz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 07:03:00 pm »

I have a DWR with all 7s.  There is no actual change in depth while running yet I still get the FPS drop.

I used fill pond jobs to make all the levels seven.  This appears to preserve the flow tag while removing the change in water depth.  The code still seems to be calculating depth anyway.  I continue to work on perfecting my design.  Next I'm going to cast obsidian on the bottom level and see if that has any effect.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)