Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5676 5677 [5678] 5679 5680 ... 10989

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13452834 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #85155 on: September 09, 2015, 05:25:58 pm »

I will admit I likely took things too far calling him out like that. But I still stand by my opinion and will even repeat it if asked, since there's no point in attempting to retract it.

And for the most part GC kept saying you shouldn't piss on other peoples happy more than telling people to get out. I think the only time she outright said that sort of thing was when people posted really objectionable content, usually relating to wanting to hurt or actually hurting other people.
It's really not that you said it...  I get that part, and I'm pretty sure he really is a piece of shit.  (Though my only interaction with him, years earlier, was playing some forum games and he seemed fine.  So it's *weird* from my perspective, is all)

But yeah it's not that you said it, it's that there was no response.  I've had several posts deleted that I would totally stand by, but they were too aggressive and I understand why they were deleted.  If that makes sense?

Anyway I don't even dislike Janet.  It's just that things and people get weird when cliques form, even unintentionally.  I think it got out of hand and I hope she doesn't take it too hard, and I do think it'll be good for her in the long run.

Jeezum crow the thread is still moving fast, 7 replies.

For what it's worth I also had posts written up, but decided that possibly starting a fight on the forums over the issue of dragging a personal issue onto the forums was not the kost constructive way to to about things, and I couldn't formulate myself in a way that wasn't possibly infectious at the time.

I am honestly surprised anyone would be surprised lsp got banned. He's been practically begging for toady to ban him for over a year now, and he never posted anything worthwhile to make up for all the shit.
I'm also surprised people are surprised he git banned for racism. I don't think there's many posts of his in the eurothread that isn't loaded with passive aggressive racism.
Edit: oh shit all off the ninjas
When the gloves came off and LSP used punctuation things of quality were born, things such that men dream of.

I strongly disagree.

I can say with confidence that there is nobody in this community who should be given the power to moderate it.
Surely theres a few that can be trusted?
Hah, not a chance. This place is a bad enough echo chamber already.

Yeah I guess you have a point.

Echo chamber confirmed :P
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85156 on: September 09, 2015, 05:26:36 pm »

Cos then he'd have to deal with community moderators
Who is he going to trust to do that? What about all the other problems that can entail, as well?

Not really
You set up a team of maybe 3 to be in charge, who vote on their replacements.  Maybe they delegate, maybe that's not necessary here though.
That's how tgstation handled their moderation and coding teams and they mostly turned out okay.  And the "guy in charge" in that case was almost always busy with real life.  And the players needed frequent moderation.

It's not rocket science, it's actually super weird to have just one moderator.  Much less one with a full time job...

The only benefit to this system is that I feel guilty about posting anything controversial, because I may be delaying the next version of DF.

I can say with confidence that there is nobody in this community who should be given the power to moderate it.
Maybe pick a few people who seem mostly level-headed, keep their identities a secret, and ban them if they abuse their power?

Also limiting powers to temp-mutes and thread locking would be a good idea.
Yeah see, then you'd just swap from modding forum to modding mods

Also 99% certain that this would turn into reddit where everyone agrees with one another because the ones who didn't were disappeared and newcomers overcompensate to fit in
Uh
This almost IS that latter thing, and it's because when someone posts a strong dissenting opinion, there's a good chance the discussion gets heated and deleted.  At which point people decide "oh it's that kind of community" and leave.
With some actual personhours it's possible to run an actual warning/ban system instead of the "Awaken the sleeping god-developer, get deleted or banned" nonsense.

Handling an out of control moderator is a lot easier than doing it by hand, this is kinda ridiculous to be honest :/

Also reddit has echochamber subreddits, yeah, those are the ones you shouldn't visit.  Why would you visit those.  Go to the ones that aren't dumb.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #85157 on: September 09, 2015, 05:28:07 pm »

Hah, not a chance. This place is a bad enough echo chamber already.

Yeah I guess you have a point.

Echo chamber confirmed :P
You're right scriver, I should be made moderator. MetalSlimeHunt 2015!
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #85158 on: September 09, 2015, 05:29:05 pm »

Go to the ones that aren't dumb.
Usually the ones that aren't dumb are the ones you can't find, though. Thats why they aren't dumb subreddits.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85159 on: September 09, 2015, 05:29:51 pm »

Also, wasn't LSP's personal text literally "all hail the fuhrer", except in German?  Dude was shitposting a lot, antagonistically even.  Maybe he should have listened to the warnings.
I do recall LSP commenting on the personal text:
i've been meaning to change it into something else but i had no decent ideas

so i just converted the original into fraktur

now it's so edgy the bfv must be keeping tabs on me, heh
So I don't think so, but I didn't read LSP's text before it got wiped. Maybe Helgo remembers
Yeah, he wrote that in response to a question of mine. It was 'To our beloved Führer', so yeah, 2edgy4me. AFAIK he's German, and fairly anti-immigrant (which is a minority but wide-spread sentiment around here), but honestly he wasn't worse than LW in that regard. If Toady banned him for shitposting, he should at least be honest about it - any "racist URL" must've been a case of 2edgy as well. I strongly disagreed with LSP's views on this issue, but what he usually wrote wasn't even close to banworthy.

If anyone's got contact details for the guy, please shoot me a PM. I'd hate to lose contact.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #85160 on: September 09, 2015, 05:30:57 pm »

The problem with community moderators isn't right when they get appointed.  Its just, you can't trust several random people on the internet with power in the long term.  Toady would have to become a moderator to moderators, basically.  It would be less work, but it would also be less precise because he can't be 100% sure who his appointed goons have decided is worthy of a beating.  And also because moderators are capable of influencing other mods and the forumites and would slowly shift things more and more their way as time went on.

I think Toady's moderation is good.  He isn't anonymous, he actually does have a stake in it (seeing as how this forum's success is arguably tied to his game's success), and he isn't a regular poster so he has distance.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85161 on: September 09, 2015, 05:31:44 pm »

Cos then he'd have to deal with community moderators
Who is he going to trust to do that? What about all the other problems that can entail, as well?

Not really
You set up a team of maybe 3 to be in charge, who vote on their replacements.  Maybe they delegate, maybe that's not necessary here though.
That's how tgstation handled their moderation and coding teams and they mostly turned out okay.  And the "guy in charge" in that case was almost always busy with real life.  And the players needed frequent moderation.

It's not rocket science, it's actually super weird to have just one moderator.  Much less one with a full time job...

The only benefit to this system is that I feel guilty about posting anything controversial, because I may be delaying the next version of DF.

I usually stay out of controversial discussions because I know that if people respond poorly to my disagreeing with them (which is not unheard of here, no matter what we tell ourselves) I will be blamed for starting a fight and get into some shit. I've been banned from another forum for exactly that, and I actually care about my presence here.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 05:33:15 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #85162 on: September 09, 2015, 05:33:33 pm »

Maybe we as a people just need to stop taking things seriously
... or at least be conscientious about sticking to the forum guidelines. That's really about all it takes to keep from getting banned.

And @Ro, Toady almost always gives several mutes/warnings before bans happen. Lsp got hit with those before now, and what resulted in his ban was actions immediately following an in-thread warning to tone things back. Toady only occasionally does the god-from-on-high insta-smite thing.

Really, it's... not actually that hard to present a dissenting opinion, or have things get heated/impassioned. You mostly just need to avoid attacking other posters (part of which is to avoid engaging with other posters that attack you, by the by -- saying your peace and then dropping the conversation is occasionally a thing you need to do) or going straight to the overt bigotry.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #85163 on: September 09, 2015, 05:35:08 pm »

Not really
Doesn't answer who 3 to pick

This aint no normal forum

Oh shit, that is some next level horror
Shitposting could be halting DF development

Uh
This almost IS that latter thing, and it's because when someone posts a strong dissenting opinion, there's a good chance the discussion gets heated and deleted.  At which point people decide "oh it's that kind of community" and leave.
Plenty of people post strong dissenting opinions, I've seen few leave for them. I've seen a reactionary, a zionist and an SJW get banned but it wasn't for their strong dissenting opinions, it's because they were personally attacking other forum users. Probably poor examples, but the point is you can take any extreme stance and people do even if it's controversial and gets heated. Like our heated conversation may have contributed to LSP getting rekt, but I doubt either one of us is going to be any less vocal in our opinions. Maybe more polite :P
Community mods are different, they're not aloof like Toady - they've got a much more vested interest in how the forums run and which way they point

With some actual personhours it's possible to run an actual warning/ban system instead of the "Awaken the sleeping god-developer, get deleted or banned" nonsense.
Subject to community mod judgements. Cue the railing against community mods because THAT BAN WAS UNFAIR MODS UNDO PLS

Also reddit has echochamber subreddits, yeah, those are the ones you shouldn't visit.  Why would you visit those.  Go to the ones that aren't dumb.
Why would you use reddit at all

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #85164 on: September 09, 2015, 05:37:43 pm »

I was a member of the Within Hubris forum, which had basically zero moderation to begin with. We voted a community mod into place, which basically meant that we picked a popular shitposter (and one other person who was barely ever active) to be in charge of moderating the entire site. After much playing of favorites, rampant shitposting and the original owner of the forum basically saying "I quit, do what you want", the whole operation was shut down by police after death threats were made in a thread.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85165 on: September 09, 2015, 05:38:18 pm »

I doubt either one of us is going to be any less vocal in our opinions. Maybe more polite :P
Hah, as if. remove nationalist REMOVE NATIONALIST
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #85166 on: September 09, 2015, 05:38:23 pm »

Ye gods, this. I'm fond of a lot of you folks, but there's no way in hell I'd trust anyone around here to adjudicate anywhere near as well as Toady does, myself most certainly included.

For what it's worth, I can't think of a single genuinely rage-inducing forum-related experience I've had that wasn't instigated by community moderators. It's also made up a not-insubstantial portion of my terrible experiences in multiplayer games. Fact is, most people don't handle power well, and it's made even worse when they're personally invested in the thing they're supposed to be moderating.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: one of the major factors contributing to B12 being by far the least shitty place I've hung around on the internet is the way it's moderated.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #85167 on: September 09, 2015, 05:39:41 pm »

the whole operation was shut down by police
ahahahahahahahahhahahaha

I doubt either one of us is going to be any less vocal in our opinions. Maybe more polite :P
Hah, as if. remove nationalist REMOVE NATIONALIST
To be honest in the unlikely event I was offered com mod I'd turn it down simply because it'd mean I wouldn't be able to remove kraut REMOVE KRAUT you are the STINK MERKEL go back to YOG-SOHOTH

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85168 on: September 09, 2015, 05:40:47 pm »

the whole operation was shut down by police
ahahahahahahahahhahahaha

Not just b&, but v& as well?

Ye gods, this. I'm fond of a lot of you folks, but there's no way in hell I'd trust anyone around here to adjudicate anywhere near as well as Toady does, myself most certainly included.

For what it's worth, I can't think of a single genuinely rage-inducing forum-related experience I've had that wasn't instigated by community moderators. It's also made up a not-insubstantial portion of my terrible experiences in multiplayer games. Fact is, most people don't handle power well, and it's made even worse when they're personally invested in the thing they're supposed to be moderating.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: one of the major factors contributing to B12 being by far the least shitty place I've hung around on the internet is the way it's moderated.

I don't think I'd accept either. Running a small thread, maybe. A board? No. Even if I don't go mad with power I simply don't have the time, and would probably let things stand that really shouldn't have.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 05:42:18 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #85169 on: September 09, 2015, 05:41:06 pm »

Let's resurrect GWG and make him the lower boards moderator.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 5676 5677 [5678] 5679 5680 ... 10989