Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The best DF Clone..?  (Read 3543 times)

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The best DF Clone..?
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 02:16:09 am »

Hmm Hmm...

I will say that I enjoy towns a lot. I bought it while I still haven't bought Gnomoria. Towns was money well spent. That being said, I agree with Hemmingjay. Towns is closer to Majesty than DF at this point.

In Towns you have a dungeon to press through and that gives you the idea of a mission to accomplish. For better or worse, you always have that idea of pushing towards getting to the "next level." In DF you have a city that responds to situations. The focus is more on the city than on the mission, until a force of darkness shows up...

It is open to interpretation what "DF clone" even means. Hand crafting a city and watching it rise and fall? I can say Towns, Gnomoria, and Goblin Camp can all scratch that urge.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 03:12:36 am »

If Dwarf Fortress-like was a genre... Towns at least would qualify even if it borrows more from majesty then it does Dwarf Fortress.

Just like those RPG strategy games that involve... absolutely no strategy.

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2013, 02:13:36 pm »

I hate to say it on the DF forums but I prefer Majesty-likes to DF-likes. Even above the graphical limitations of DF. DF is still great though.

A lot of people are always talking about simulations vs games and I tend to say that sandbox/simulation is still a game, but DF tends much farther towards simulation. "The hippos like the sewers!" doesn't really provide any value to a game but in the context of a simulation its awesome.

I think also that my obsession with magic systems limits my engagement with DF somewhat although I understand why Toady hasn't included it. Actually I am more put off by no magic than no graphics.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2013, 03:34:17 pm »

Well to me it is always the balance of Toy versus Game.

If the "game" still has a goal even if it can be inferred, something to work towards... It is a game.

If there is no goal, nothing to work towards, nothing to infer... it is a toy.
Pages: 1 [2]