Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 658 659 [660] 661 662 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1434959 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Yes it is, that is an excellent space.  You are almost spacing like a pro.  Give me a moment and I'll see if I can spot any errors.

Ah I think I got it.  I don't see any kerbals attached, kerbal smoke can add that special je ne sais quoi to any spacecraft.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Awesome disaster happened last night:

I had just flown 10 Kerbalnauts to Minmus, one piloting the main rocket and nine in landers to scoop up the sciences from each biome.  Fully SEVEN landers successfully on the surface, one in each of seven biomes.

Number eight and nine had been detached form the mothership, and I was plotting a decent course for the eighth lander to put it down on the lowlands.

Now, usually a few seconds into the decent burns, the screen re-orients as it crosses some orbital/surface boundary.  I'm in map view, and true to form this happens.  Although this time my navball is tumbling also. Uh-oh.

I switched over to the staging view, and a quick inspection suggests that everything is okay.  Cycle views to the other lander, it is okay also.

Cycle views again.  A tiny radial engine, floating in space.  Another one.  Another.  A random part.  A whole line of junk - maybe 20 tiny pieces - strewn across an orbit.

The crew and science section of the mothership is in tact, but I rocketed right into it's last full fuel tank and associated engines.  Seemingly without damaging my lander.

*Seemingly* without damaging it.  By the time I get it on the surface, all its equipment in tact, and go to extend the solar array... wait, no solar array.  10% battery left after some heavy SAS use.  Not going home.

Looks like i've got two kerbals to rescue now.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

Looks like i've got two kerbals to rescue now.
You know I just realized that the lack of needing oxygen/food for my kernels has led to more !fun! missions than anything I've ever done on purpose. In the real world you would just have to say, "we can't do anything here", and leave them to die, but not in Kerbal space program, no, there you get to go on even more complicated missions to rescue them! ;D
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Loaded Jeb up in a three-seater and sent him to pick up my two strand-ees.  Launched the 7 fully juiced landers, and then had a brainstorm:

Waited for Minmus to rotate such that the low-battery lander was pointed roughly retrograde to Kerbin, and just burned straight up.

It was a little tricky with no SAS, and minimal course corrections, but it is now on a solid return course home with all of its science!

Now the only one that needs to be picked up is Bob, who is still stuck in orbit aboard the remains of the mothership.

I often think that the Life Support mod would be good to add, but then there might be less crazy rescues like this.  Or maybe the crazy rescues would just be more pressing?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Well, the BDArmory mod is fucking awesome. Images will be in soon.

And yah, more pressing rescues, although if you use ECLSS you technically can survive forever with enough power.

In the interest of saving space, no images will be posted. However, a link to the folder containing the images is HERE
Oh, and you can fire mutable vehicles weapons at the same time...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 04:29:14 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp

Inspired by this.

Mine's not as good, but I don't care. I made it fly.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dear lord, had a 4km encounter in a save XYZ, hit throttle instead of time and get a 400m encounter...
Highly Opinionated Fool

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

First real encounter for me.

ANd guess who cocked it up shortly thereafter?
Highly Opinionated Fool

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Is it just my imagination, or are spaceplanes a bit faster/better now? I have apparently built one capable of using a single turbojet engine which can get to 2340m/s at an altitude of around 40km. Enough to actually give it a periapsis of 10km, and an apoapsis of 75km. I don't remember ever having one this effective before (granted, it has no payload but its kerbal for now, and no circularizing burn stuff, but still).

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is it just my imagination, or are spaceplanes a bit faster/better now? I have apparently built one capable of using a single turbojet engine which can get to 2340m/s at an altitude of around 40km. Enough to actually give it a periapsis of 10km, and an apoapsis of 75km. I don't remember ever having one this effective before (granted, it has no payload but its kerbal for now, and no circularizing burn stuff, but still).

Sounds reasonable. Thing is, it's far from a spaceplane. Once you start adding space-worthy engines, the required fuel tanks and all, the craft's weight really ramps up.

And that's not even considering payload allowances.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile

I have given birth to an SSTO which is actually better than my two stage plane!

Going around the world, back to the KSC and landing at the runway in 45 minutes is surprisingly fun to do. Now I just need to find a way to push this thing to Minmus.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've actually mostly dropped jets from my fleet. Compared to standard rockets with drop tanks and solid boosters they just aren't worth it cost wise. The only time I use them is for the "activate part at 7000m to 8000m while going 430m/s to 790m/s" contracts, though I could probably drop them from that role too if I messed with solid boosters enough.

I also discovered that .23 made it so you can change the thrust output of solid boosters while in the assembly building, so no more massive losses to air resistance.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

So anybody know what mods are currently up to date for .24?

Particularly interested in Interstellar of course, but would be nice to try out B9 and such now that we don't have to worry about the 4 gig thing.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mods versions are fluctuating almost hourly. Good luck with that. I have my own subset that I track through subscriptions.

Interstellar is unlikely to update within the next 30 days. B9 is still a bit of an unknown. You do still have to worry about the 3.7 gig RAM limit because the x64 version is a buggier mess than the x86 version. Don't use x64 unless you have to and want more crashes.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 08:51:53 am by BigD145 »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

So anybody know what mods are currently up to date for .24?

Particularly interested in Interstellar of course, but would be nice to try out B9 and such now that we don't have to worry about the 4 gig thing.
Near Future is reported to be working with 64bit as long as you don't use the custom tech tree. Here's your excuse to try it out instead of Interstellar. :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 658 659 [660] 661 662 ... 848