Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3848015 times)

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Mission 2: Ivan: "F***ING HELP"
« Reply #1470 on: April 23, 2012, 12:23:00 am »

"Oh. Thats a nice safety feature"
Coil gun at the vaguely humanoid one my size. Aim for the chest.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: April 23, 2012, 12:44:36 am »

"Carry the one... a hundred and twenty years?  Oh, shit!  They said I could finish my ten missions and return home to see my family again!"
After a few minutes of shocked silence, Mesk sighs and turns back to the computer.
Search for more information on "titans", "altered beings", "Fleshhackers", "Magistars", and "Heabi".
"There'll be over a century's worth of information to catch up on.  Better start now."

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: April 23, 2012, 02:56:45 am »

((You forgot my technician bonus to handiwork.))

Bishop admired his work with a smile. This would work very well indeed, but the size could use some work and having more powerful generators would make the EMP all the more powerful and far reaching...

Resize the generator so it's handheld, as small as possible, no larger than one and a half to two inches diameter ideally. Then once I get an appropiate size, see if I can adjust the power settings on it to increase the area affected and the power of the pulse. Use the stick all only on the back this time, and see if theres something that can cover the sticky surface to prevent the bomb from sticking to your hand until its ripped off first. Don't forget to resize the detonation circuit, and then see if I can put in a timer/remote detonator device to set this bad boy off.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: April 23, 2012, 03:44:58 am »

Get something to eat.
Y'mm... Tasty.
After finishing eating, head to the armory and ask for a video about the history of UWM and one about the weaponry (if available).

*humming while walking there*
"One thousand aliens are coming to kill us all,
One thousand monster aliens.
Shoot one down and get back to cover.
Nine hundred ninety-nine aliens are coming to kill us all. ..."

Also inquire the armorer about the abscence of more conventional flamethrowers in the list of available weaponry
... I mean, yes, Tesla Arc Projector is darn as powerful and works in vacuum. But it cannot be reloaded, it can hardly be used for something less than total destruction (such as just setting something on a fire) and, most importantly, if remember my physics classes right, the arc of electrons can easily be affected by a strong magnetic field, while 'conventional' flamethrowers don't have any of these drawbacks. Well, they need oxygen, but that problem can be easily solved.

((Yes, I actually was talking about the IC 'experience (such as how to do this and that, no stat/skill change), not OOC mechanic of experience (earned for completingsurviving missions, the one allowing the stat/skill changes) ))

((By the way, is 'Coilgun' the same thing as 'Heavy Gauss Cannon', or what? Also

18   LESHO Rifle
   Stat requirement: Strength 15
   Special: Suicidal kickback: If the shooter has less then 12 strength there is a 25% chance of
is this a typo?))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1474 on: April 23, 2012, 04:52:17 am »

Milno squints his eyes.
Well, he knew MkI suits were ridiculously crappy, but that way of facing the world was incredibly close to his own line of thinking. Satisfied with the acquired knowledge, he goes to the armory to return the card and ask for the one which focuses on weapons.

"Steve, it had occurred to me some time ago, but if you have no contact with the morons on the surface, when will you know when to send the new batch of lambs in? Can you at least track their vitals?"
>I can't see anything in there, but I do have an idea of when to send people in. Namely about 4 hours from when we sent them in. That should give them all enough time to die or complete the mission. And if the next team actually moves quick they might actually be able to get the bodies back in time to revive them. Its win win.

You walk back out to the armory and give back the card.
"Something on weapons please?"
"Got two. One about basic maintenance and modification and this one called "The Weaponophile's guide to the secrets of the UWM Armory"

"Oh. Thats a nice safety feature"
Coil gun at the vaguely humanoid one my size. Aim for the chest.
You point your hand at the humanoid Altered, the targeting ridicule painting an unwavering X on the creature's chest. [Con wep roll:1+1] Your volley hisses by the giant missing entirely. The creature turns it's great compound eyes toward you and stares for a moment before charging.

"Carry the one... a hundred and twenty years?  Oh, shit!  They said I could finish my ten missions and return home to see my family again!"
After a few minutes of shocked silence, Mesk sighs and turns back to the computer.
Search for more information on "titans", "altered beings", "Fleshhackers", "Magistars", and "Heabi".
"There'll be over a century's worth of information to catch up on.  Better start now."

You begin searching for information on various things.
>Titans.
From what you can gather, Titans are a lot like the "Avatar of War" suits but scaled up massively.They're grown using synth-flesh and, like avatars, are considered to be pseudo-sentient beings in their own right and their control systems are considered restraints as well.

>Altered Beings
Former humans who have, by any means, been significantly changed on a genetic level. Originates from the Altered wars and periods directly before.

>Fleshhackers
Common name given to progenetic anarchists who actively protest, both violently and non-violently, for a repeal of the genetic manipulation bans.

>Magistars
The rulers and monarchs of every planet in the UWM. Each planet under human rule has one or more Magistars who dictate its future. All Magistars form the Universalus, the ruling body by which the UWM is governed. The Universalus helps decide the fate of planets but in the end, each planet is considered sovereign and its Magistar the total ruler;  all decisions come down to them.

>Heabi
A fungus like race of pseudo-setient creatures characterized by violent a territorial nature, near endless adaptability and total colonization and teraformation of worlds. They consist of hundreds of sub-varieties, each adapted to different situations. It's believed that they can infect and convert other living creatures, but the net doesn't have any solid proof of it. Their origins are unknown and it's contested if they even have a home planet as we imagine it or if it was just one of the thousands of planets they've converted into wandering spore ships.

((You forgot my technician bonus to handiwork.))

Bishop admired his work with a smile. This would work very well indeed, but the size could use some work and having more powerful generators would make the EMP all the more powerful and far reaching...

Resize the generator so it's handheld, as small as possible, no larger than one and a half to two inches diameter ideally. Then once I get an appropiate size, see if I can adjust the power settings on it to increase the area affected and the power of the pulse. Use the stick all only on the back this time, and see if theres something that can cover the sticky surface to prevent the bomb from sticking to your hand until its ripped off first. Don't forget to resize the detonation circuit, and then see if I can put in a timer/remote detonator device to set this bad boy off.
Oh dear, I did. huh. Well I guess thats better for you huh?

[Handiwork:6+1] You strip all the extraneous bits from the generator. It's smaller now, about the size of an apple, but probably a lot more fragile. You take a look at the generator.[Intelligence roll:6] Looks like you could induce a more powerful pulse by pumping more electrical power into the generator. You call up some extra batteries and try to route more power into the generator. [Handiwork 3+1] You manage to route some power into the generator. Its not perfectly optimized but it's close. You coat one side of the bomb in the Stick all and then cover it in a plastic film. [intelligence roll:5] The detonation circuit is already as small as you're gonna get it, about the size of a quarter. You punch up some remote detonation circuits and attempt to merge them with the existing circuit. [3+1] It's not prefect, probably won't get more then 50 yards of range, but it works.

Get something to eat.
Y'mm... Tasty.
After finishing eating, head to the armory and ask for a video about the history of UWM and one about the weaponry (if available).

*humming while walking there*
"One thousand aliens are coming to kill us all,
One thousand monster aliens.
Shoot one down and get back to cover.
Nine hundred ninety-nine aliens are coming to kill us all. ..."

Also inquire the armorer about the abscence of more conventional flamethrowers in the list of available weaponry
... I mean, yes, Tesla Arc Projector is darn as powerful and works in vacuum. But it cannot be reloaded, it can hardly be used for something less than total destruction (such as just setting something on a fire) and, most importantly, if remember my physics classes right, the arc of electrons can easily be affected by a strong magnetic field, while 'conventional' flamethrowers don't have any of these drawbacks. Well, they need oxygen, but that problem can be easily solved.

((Yes, I actually was talking about the IC 'experience (such as how to do this and that, no stat/skill change), not OOC mechanic of experience (earned for completingsurviving missions, the one allowing the stat/skill changes) ))

((By the way, is 'Coilgun' the same thing as 'Heavy Gauss Cannon', or what? Also

18   LESHO Rifle
   Stat requirement: Strength 15
   Special: Suicidal kickback: If the shooter has less then 12 strength there is a 25% chance of
is this a typo?))
((Yeah, Fixed it, thanks. Also coilgun and gauss gun are pretty much the same thing yeah. Heavy Gauss cannon is just a really big coilgun.))

You finish your food and head to the armory. Milno is standing around there too.

"Hi, looking for a video on the history of the UWM? And one on weapons if you have it."

"Well, I got this one about history but our friend here is still making up about which weapon one he wants."

She hands you one card and drums her fingers on the counter, waiting for milno.

"So...why Don't we have a flamethrower?"

"Because pretty much everyone's suits are protected against heat and cold. Near perfect insulators; need to be otherwise you wouldn't be able to go out in near absolute zero environments. One guy made himself a cast by pouring molten metal on his leg, so napalm isn't gonna cut it.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: April 23, 2012, 05:42:30 am »

Hmmm, I see your point. But what about the xenos? I'd think not all of them is so impervious to flame. ... And, maybe, if we were to use something close to rocket fuel, even those suits - well, maybe except the most advanced ones - would be of no help... This needs some serious consideration first, I guess.

Well, I figure I'll take whichever he leaves - if he leaves one -Wait, this is Mk III, right? Excuse me for interrupting you, sir, but are you, by any chance, the famous Milno? The painting is there, just as Feyri told me... and I feel I must compliment you on the quality of the artwork.
Oh, we're not acquainted yet - I'm Nikitian Greiss, a fresh man here, just out of stasis.  Looking forward to going on the mission in the same team with you, comrade - of course, if that is deemed appropriate.

Also, try to understand the rhythm of the armorer's drumming. Perhaps that's from some march, or classical opera, or something like that? If so, comment on it to her.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: April 23, 2012, 06:01:34 am »

Charro, realising he's done a complete circuit of the ship (or at least the areas he's allowed access to) upon reaching the Mess hall turnoff again, is torn between returning and getting himself a second helping of that surprisingly tasty Dessert Surprise, or going to investigate the armoury and see what kind of equipment is on offer.
In the meantime whilst making this terribly difficult decision, he shall loiter about in the hallway, muttering absently to himself
"Now, I could go and find out just what they expect me to defend myself with out there, but... Then again, it's still probably a while before another mission's due to start. I could do with another helping of that stuff. No harm in bulking up a bit, I doubt they have take-out food on whatever forsaken hell of a planet we get sent to..."
>Idle in the hallway outside the Mess Hall, mumble thoughtfully to self and inspect any people passing through the hallway.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: April 23, 2012, 06:47:24 am »

Bishop nodded, seeing that this was starting to look a lot more usable than lugging around a large generator. If this model could be protected from impacts, with cushioning and armor plates, it could be used for a grenade and if coated with stickall on a surface that could be protected by plastic or a sliding plate, then it could be a stick on bomb!

As he looked over the bench, a thought came to him when his sight lingered on the tools on the bench. They seemed... too restrictive. Too limited. He could change that...

See if I can reinforce the mechanisms in the generator and then put a timer in the detonation circuit set to standard grenade detonation timeout. Then cover the whole thing in a armored container and add a switch for the timer, and see if I can add a sliding plate for that sticky side. Then save my project and start a new one, this time by getting a store of liquid metal that has been infused with intelligent nanomachines, multiple scanners and a small but powerful handheld computer. The goal is to have a tool that scans an object for what it's made of, what it's structure is like and ways it can take it apart, then using the nanometal to form appropiate shapes of tools that are controlled automatically by the computer to dissassemble and reassemble objects, making up new shapes if need be.

EDIT: Got a better idea...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 09:42:47 am by Zako »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: April 23, 2012, 07:04:15 am »

Milno giggled. He could not say people lacked creativity when presented with the opportunity to name a video in the most idiotic way possible.
"I'll take both."

He looked to the side and heard the discussion.
"Just give up."

He raises an eyebrow.
"Yeah, this is a MkIII, Sherlock. And yeah, I am Milno, Milno Enedrasi, although I have serious doubts about the 'famous' part."

Milno moves to the rec room to watch the videos.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: April 23, 2012, 11:23:24 am »

((Back after 3 days, DAFUQ did I miss?))
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1480 on: April 23, 2012, 01:12:09 pm »

Hmmm, I see your point. But what about the xenos? I'd think not all of them is so impervious to flame. ... And, maybe, if we were to use something close to rocket fuel, even those suits - well, maybe except the most advanced ones - would be of no help... This needs some serious consideration first, I guess.

Well, I figure I'll take whichever he leaves - if he leaves one -Wait, this is Mk III, right? Excuse me for interrupting you, sir, but are you, by any chance, the famous Milno? The painting is there, just as Feyri told me... and I feel I must compliment you on the quality of the artwork.
Oh, we're not acquainted yet - I'm Nikitian Greiss, a fresh man here, just out of stasis.  Looking forward to going on the mission in the same team with you, comrade - of course, if that is deemed appropriate.

Also, try to understand the rhythm of the armorer's drumming. Perhaps that's from some march, or classical opera, or something like that? If so, comment on it to her.
"You want to try making one yourself, be my guest, but the tesla arc as worked and worked well for us."

Her drumming doesn't seem to have any rhythm, just one finger down after the other.

Milno wanders off, carrying his videos.

"Looks like he took both."

Milno giggled. He could not say people lacked creativity when presented with the opportunity to name a video in the most idiotic way possible.
"I'll take both."

He looked to the side and heard the discussion.
"Just give up."

He raises an eyebrow.
"Yeah, this is a MkIII, Sherlock. And yeah, I am Milno, Milno Enedrasi, although I have serious doubts about the 'famous' part."

Milno moves to the rec room to watch the videos.

You head to the rec room and sip in the video about general stuff. It's exactly what it says on the tin, basic weapon maintenance and modifications. All very useful for basic things but not exactly great in terms of making new weapons.
(Bonus: +1 to handiwork rolls when modifying or repairing weapons)

You slap in the next one. This one's a bit more interesting. It goes over the often hidden features of common UWM weapons. Huh, Fission instigators can be set to detonate on a dead man switch? Talk about a blaze of glory.

(Bonus: If you examine a UWM weapon and succeed on an intelligence check the secret functions of that weapon will be revealed to you.)

Charro, realising he's done a complete circuit of the ship (or at least the areas he's allowed access to) upon reaching the Mess hall turnoff again, is torn between returning and getting himself a second helping of that surprisingly tasty Dessert Surprise, or going to investigate the armoury and see what kind of equipment is on offer.
In the meantime whilst making this terribly difficult decision, he shall loiter about in the hallway, muttering absently to himself
"Now, I could go and find out just what they expect me to defend myself with out there, but... Then again, it's still probably a while before another mission's due to start. I could do with another helping of that stuff. No harm in bulking up a bit, I doubt they have take-out food on whatever forsaken hell of a planet we get sent to..."
>Idle in the hallway outside the Mess Hall, mumble thoughtfully to self and inspect any people passing through the hallway.
You loiter in the hallway, in direct resistance to the "no loitering" sign you imagine someone might, at some point, have thought about putting up here, maybe. Yeah, stick it to the man! A man a very expensive looking space suit with a picture of a honey badger painted on the shoulder wanders by into the rec room.

((Back after 3 days, DAFUQ did I miss?))
In character: Adrian ran off toward the entrance to the temple and radioed in something to the effect of "OH GOD HELP" and has since gone silent.

Out of character: Adrian is permanently dead, faith has stopped tripping balls for once, and you and her are the only people left functional because Ivan is knocked out, adrian's head is pudding and Victor is just an arm and a head in the field. Good luck with that.

Bishop nodded, seeing that this was starting to look a lot more usable than lugging around a large generator. If this model could be protected from impacts, with cushioning and armor plates, it could be used for a grenade and if coated with stickall on a surface that could be protected by plastic or a sliding plate, then it could be a stick on bomb!

As he looked over the bench, a thought came to him when his sight lingered on the tools on the bench. They seemed... too restrictive. Too limited. He could change that...

See if I can reinforce the mechanisms in the generator and then put a timer in the detonation circuit set to standard grenade detonation timeout. Then cover the whole thing in a armored container and add a switch for the timer, and see if I can add a sliding plate for that sticky side. Then save my project and start a new one, this time by getting a store of liquid metal that has been infused with intelligent nanomachines, multiple scanners and a small but powerful handheld computer. The goal is to have a tool that scans an object for what it's made of, what it's structure is like and ways it can take it apart, then using the nanometal to form appropiate shapes of tools that are controlled automatically by the computer to dissassemble and reassemble objects, making up new shapes if need be.

EDIT: Got a better idea...
You attempt to make the generator a bit more durable. [2+1] You manage to reenforce it a bit, but it doesn't seem all that much stronger. You dial some metal and a torch to make an armored container. [6+1] You weld together several sheets of metal and fit them over the device. Well, it's certainly armored now, a lot heavier, but armored. Next comes the timer and switch to activate it. [2+1] Hmm...this will work but the timer isn't exactly accurate, has a 10 second fuse but could be anything from 10 to 3 in practice. Better lob it fast. Now to deal with that sticky stuff. [4+1] Yeah, that will work! You add a few simple circuits and a secondary, very light outer shell. When the bomb is activated and thrown the outer shell will fall away and reveal the entirely coated sticky bomb inside. You build in manual releases so that the sticky surface can be exposed by hand for more careful placement as well. That done, you save the schematics and move on to a new project.

You key in "Nanomachines" and the computer kicks back an error "117". You access the error log and it reads:

ERROR 117: Non-existent substance.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: April 23, 2012, 01:38:12 pm »

Her drumming doesn't seem to have any rhythm, just one finger down after the other.
((No luck, Casanova.))

Milno goes back to the armory to return the videos. And ask for the one on cars.

He also realizes there are a lot more deadmen walking around, some of them trying to be mad inventors and others simply complaining and walking around like retarded lemmings anxiously waiting to jump off the slippery ledge. Maybe those had their stasis lifted so they could serve as meat shields.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: April 23, 2012, 01:43:05 pm »

"Uhh... Is anyone still alive? I need a status report. I seem to have blacked out after trying to detonate that bomb..."

((IC'ly explaining why I have absolutely no idea why the hell I have no idea what's going on.))
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: April 23, 2012, 02:15:11 pm »

Charro 'Hm'ed quietly at the sight, raising an eyebrow. 'I didn't realise we were even allowed to hang on to our equipment between missions?' He thought, silently this time. 'Doesn't really seem to fit the HMRC business model, although then again I'm certain they could squish us like bugs if anyone was really mad enough to try anything.'

He followed him down towards the armoury, his decision evidently made for him. If he could get some advice from someone who had actually survived a mission that'd be handy, and if he could befriend the guy, hey, someone that heavily-armoured would be great for hiding behind... And of course he could do the practical thing and see what guns were on offer at the armoury.
>Follow Milno to armoury, introduce self, instigate ingratiation procedure.
>Also, ask the fine-lookin' Armoury Master just what sort of equipment is supplied. Avoid pissing her off, avoid hitting on her and most definitely avoid any remarks about her being 'well-equipped'.

To the psychopath with the honey-badger armour: "Hey, I'm guessing you're one of our veteran's, right? Well, looks like I'll be fighting and dying alongside you pretty soon, lucky me. God bless the UWM! The name's Charro Hootzal. I don't know how long I've been in stasis, but I'd hardly be surprised if the name doesn't mean much anymore."

((Woo! I'm a lemming with (at least some) self-preservation instincts! :P))
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 02:18:09 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: April 23, 2012, 02:22:17 pm »

Charro 'Hm'ed quietly at the sight, raising an eyebrow. 'I didn't realise we were even allowed to hang on to our equipment between missions?' He thought, silently this time. 'Doesn't really seem to fit the HMRC business model, although then again I'm certain they could squish us like bugs if anyone was really mad enough to try anything.'

He followed him down towards the armoury, his decision evidently made for him. If he could get some advice from someone who had actually survived a mission that'd be handy, and if he could befriend the guy, hey, someone that heavily-armoured would be great for hiding behind... And of course he could do the practical thing and see what guns were on offer at the armoury.
>Follow Milno to armoury, introduce self, instigate ingratiation procedure.
>Also, ask the fine-lookin' Armoury Master just what sort of equipment is supplied. Avoid pissing her off, avoid hitting on her and most definitely avoid any remarks about her being 'well-equipped'.

To the psychopath with the honey-badger armour: "Hey, I'm guessing you're one of our veteran's, right? Well, looks like I'll be fighting and dying alongside you pretty soon, lucky me. God bless the UWM! The name's Charro Hootzal. I don't know how long I've been in stasis, but I'd hardly be surprised if the name doesn't mean much anymore."

((Woo! I'm a lemming with (at least some) self-preservation instincts! :P))

((Yay! Glad to have you onboard, man. =) Hope I don't die before I get a chance to go home and cash in this loot. <_< ))
Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 1256