Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 163

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 195610 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #885 on: August 13, 2016, 03:25:53 pm »

I thought Switzerland was in the EU? Though I guess understandable given their intent in trying to be as neutral as possible.

Also, pretty severe for a 'crime of passion'....

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: August 13, 2016, 03:27:37 pm »

I thought Switzerland was in the EU? Though I guess understandable given their intent in trying to be as neutral as possible.
They're a non-member that's negotiated treaties with the EU, iirc.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: August 13, 2016, 03:32:30 pm »

They're a non-member that's negotiated treaties with the EU, iirc.
You are correct sir
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: August 13, 2016, 03:38:19 pm »

"Switzerland" has the name of the example case of "How in or out of the EU should Brexited Britain be?" that lies somewhere between "Norway" and "Canada"...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: August 13, 2016, 03:46:44 pm »

Switzerland did have to give up being Switzerland to get into the Free Trade Association. They had to give up their bank secret for it.

That would translate to saying to the UK they can join the free trade zone, but only if they give up speaking english and start speaking french only.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: August 13, 2016, 09:26:25 pm »

That would translate to saying to the UK they can join the free trade zone, but only if they give up speaking english and start speaking french only.
Sacré bleu! C'est inconceivable!! Mon aéroglisseur est plein d'anguilles!!!  Bof...

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: August 26, 2016, 05:19:59 am »

Steven Seagal, the washed-up actor from action films of the 1990s, suddenly visited Belarus the other day. After making a visit to Wargaming.net's office in Minsk and applying for work there (yeah), he was invited by President Lukashenko to his residence, where he sampled fresh Belarusian vegetables straight from the President's own vegetable garden (yeah).

Social networks across the former USSR, especially Belarus, exploded with laughter. Russian media, like Lenta.ru and NTV, did not resist making spectacular puns in their titles like "Lukashenko Peeled Steven Seagal a Carrot" or "Steven Seagal Gladly Ate Lukashenko's Big Carrot". Belarusian social media pondered whether other (former) Hollywood celebrities would visit the country and endorse Belarusian food. Memes are also being made.

« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 05:22:52 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: August 26, 2016, 05:50:30 am »

So, question for our russosphere friends here, what's the reaction to Turkey sending ground troops in Syria?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: August 26, 2016, 06:46:54 am »

No one really cares, AFAIK. There are far more interesting things going on here, like the upcoming elections. The ads are everywhere.
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: August 26, 2016, 06:16:45 pm »

You guys still have elections?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: August 26, 2016, 06:55:48 pm »

Yes, Russia still has elections.  They're even mostly fair; irregularities tend to be more along the lines of disproportionate media access for preferred candidates and strict candidate registration requirements that inhibit competitors than actual ballot-stuffing.  That's one of the most depressing things about his present foreign policies; Putin, and to a slightly lesser degree his party as a whole, really does have a popular mandate in the eyes of people who view him as giving them their pride back and, for those who haven't forgotten Yeltsin and the 1990s, putting food on their plates and "putting the oligarchs in their place".  Domestically, his foreign adventurism is a selling point, not a weakness.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: August 26, 2016, 06:56:48 pm »

You guys still have elections?
There are more than a dozen parties running, actually. One communist party (KPRF), two liberal ones (PARNAS and Yabloko), one generic party of power (United Russia), one opportunistic-nationalistic party (LDPD), some pro-pensioner people (Spravedlivaya Rossiya), and also a couple of smaller and completely new parties that I haven't heard about before, including two three communistic-looking parties, a pretty weirdly named pro-pensioner party, three liberal-looking parties, and also, a Green party.

And all of them get free ads and debate hours! IIRC, the debates are actually mandatory this time, and they're going to be carried out very often. I can only imagine the decibel of yells that will be getting thrown over there, with the amount of "communist/nationalist vs liberal" match-ups that will inevitably come up.
._.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: August 26, 2016, 06:59:00 pm »

I was kidding, you guys  ::)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: August 26, 2016, 07:00:34 pm »

I was kidding, you guys  ::)
Heh.  But when you hear that line thrown around often enough completely unironically, you start taking it at face value. ^_^

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: August 26, 2016, 07:01:02 pm »

It's not like most out and out dictators don't have popular support either.

Hell, popular support in the state and crushing the Whoever is basically only lost in democracies split enough to attain bitter opposition without civil war.
one opportunistic-nationalistic party (LDPD)
Even this description is generous. They do anything crazy recently? The newest incident is Z-Man demanding Russia nuke the Bosporus to drown Istanbul with a tidal wave, but that was in 2015.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 163