Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 163

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 195604 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #1095 on: October 30, 2016, 09:16:48 pm »

Note that current thinking on the Theia impact suggests that the only way to explain the isotopic signatures of material found on the Moon being the same as that of the Earth is if the impact produced a massive cloud of magma, within which the Earth and Moon(lets) condensed under 10 or more bars of pressure.

http://www.zmescience.com/science/planet-vaporized-moon-history/

If the term "magma silicate atmosphere" doesn't excite you, how the hell did you find your way to a dwarf fortress forum?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1096 on: October 31, 2016, 06:05:48 am »

humanity is caught in a cloud of boiling mica!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: October 31, 2016, 09:07:29 am »

http://www.zmescience.com/science/planet-vaporized-moon-history/
(I'd love to read that, but it has an annoying scrolling behaviour, where it seems to want to go sideways but then a menu pops up on the left, for no apparent reason...  Web-design hipsters? What's wrong with the normal method?)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: October 31, 2016, 01:53:32 pm »

Sorry, I suspect that was disabled with my default noscript settings and userscripts.

Basically if the potassium on the moon precipitated in a near vacuum it would have one isotope ratio, if it precipitated under 10 bars of pressure or more it would favor another isotope ratio.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Earth has the high-pressure ratio, and the Moon does as well, lending support to the second hypothesis.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: October 31, 2016, 05:41:06 pm »

But does the high pressure potassium make the cheese taste better?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: October 31, 2016, 06:43:40 pm »

But does the high pressure potassium make the cheese taste better?
Your basic original Luneburg masses aren't really affected.  But then the Rokpol collapses under the force of Graviera. If you started with a waxy coat, that'd evaporate off leaving the resulting Swiss Cheese. At the subatomic level, of course, Quark dominates.  Unless you believe in String Cheese theory.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: October 31, 2016, 07:39:40 pm »

Starver is absolutely correct.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1102 on: November 07, 2016, 07:04:50 pm »

I know this is kinda retarded question, but... what is actually going on in Ukraine? Polish media literally shut up completly since a good while. The last thing I vaguely recall was the death of Motorola and even that was after a good while of silence.  What I could gather from internet indicates that in no way there is nothing going on.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: November 07, 2016, 07:26:53 pm »

Last I checked, BBC news has a governor storming out of office, today, and Ukranians claiming the credit for hacking the Kremlin, four days ago. I think it's same-old-same-old since the ineffective October talks that also included Syria.

Trouble is, I think some people (the traditionally newsworthy ones, until and unless something big happens) are keeping quiet for the next day or so until they know how some other minor event on the other side of the world is going to resolve.

(Also non-Euopean, an accident that would be funny if it weren't fatal...)

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #1104 on: November 07, 2016, 07:38:16 pm »

So, on the front it's basically a stalemate with constant shelling by artillery? What is this, WW1?
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: November 07, 2016, 07:42:49 pm »

So, on the front it's basically a stalemate with constant shelling by artillery? What is this, WW1?

Without the trenches, maybe....

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: November 07, 2016, 08:06:23 pm »

No, it's a semi-frozen conflict. There are many of those around Russia due to them trying to police all of the ex-USSR countries, the hottest one outside of Ukraine is probably in between Armenia and Azerbaijan. They've actually used attack helicopters there in the latest bout of hostilities, IIRC.
._.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: November 07, 2016, 08:26:29 pm »

No, it's a semi-frozen conflict. There are many of those around Russia due to them trying to police all of the ex-USSR countries, the hottest one outside of Ukraine is probably in between Armenia and Azerbaijan. They've actually used attack helicopters there in the latest bout of hostilities, IIRC.

I think you mean a Cold War? Because semi-frozen would be cold. Though obviously the US and USSR didn't skirmish with each other.

Actually, it sort of lies in the region between a full on Cold War and a hot war with major fighting. maybe.

Wolfhunter107

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: November 07, 2016, 08:50:58 pm »

Without the trenches, maybe....
If the references to trench warfare I've seen in news articles are anything to go by, then they have those in abundance too.
Just ask yourself: What would a mobster do?
So we butcher them and build a 4chan tallow soap tower as a monument to our greatness?

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: November 07, 2016, 11:18:31 pm »

I think you mean a Cold War? Because semi-frozen would be cold. Though obviously the US and USSR didn't skirmish with each other.

Actually, it sort of lies in the region between a full on Cold War and a hot war with major fighting. maybe.
A frozen conflict is a war or previously-active military conflict that's not actively moving in either direction, but which hasn't been concluded by a peace treaty or other conclusive diplomatic arrangement.  A cold war is one in which direct military engagement is not being pursued, but one in which the primary means of conflict are economic, political, social (propaganda), espionage, and/or proxy conflicts between third-parties.  Not all frozen conflicts are cold wars, and not all cold wars are frozen conflicts.  For instance, the most famous Cold War between the US and USSR was not a frozen conflict; there was never an active military state of war between the two powers.  The war between the ROC and PRC is frozen, but is not a cold war as, occasional rhetoric aside, the two have largely adopted a "live and let live" attitude as long as the present status quo holds.  The two Koreas are both. 

EDIT: Actually, it just occurred to me that the present circumstances between Japan and Russia are an even better example of a frozen conflict that isn't a cold war, at least in legal terms.  Due to the disputes over the Kurils and Sakhalin, Japan and the USSR never signed a permanent peace treaty, a state carried over to the latter's successor state post-1991.  This state of permanent legal ceasefire has persisted even after the 1950s normalization of relations, the Gorbachev thaw, and the utter collapse of the Soviet state.  Indeed, it's so frozen that most don't even know it still exists under all that ice.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 11:28:48 pm by Culise »
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 163